Help with game types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with game types

I was watching the ZDTV game tv-show (the one with Morgan) and they were showing a RPG-type-game (I guess, it was just for a few seconds) and I wondered if I had been missing out on some good games.

I used to play a game on Sega Genesis called 'Shining Force'. The gameplay involved walking around towns getting info-weapons etc like an RPG but the turn based battles had a chess-like strategy component with your team of comrades. It wasnt great but it was OK.

As I was watching the show, it occurred to me that the combat in the game being shown appeared very similar to the Shining force style game.

Maybe I've been missing out on a whole genre of entertaining games?
    We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
    If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
    Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

hmm, well there are some shining force sequels and similar games but not tons. there are probably tons that aren't translated to english though(shame). maybe it was one of these(i haven't played any shining force games)?

tactics ogre for gba -

tactics ogre for ps1 -

final fantasy tactics for gba -

and i agree if you missed these you have missed some real gems. i'm actually playing a really obscure ps1 game which is pretty addictive(going to post a first impressions thread or review in a few days).
    Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

I think it was a final fantasy-type game that started me thinking about this. From some research though it seems as if the shining force II style game was fairly unique in that it allowed multiple units within the team. Final fantasy tactics looks fairly similar. Have you played it on the GBA?

FYI it looks like there will be a shining force III for the PS2.
      We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
      If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
      Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

Shining Force III on Sega Saturn is excellent. There are 3 parts to it, only part 1 was released in the US and Europe though.

Im not into RPG's but the chess-like movement and choosing various weapons each turn is quite interesting.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
        CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
        One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Shining force

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
            Final fantasy tactics looks fairly similar. Have you played it on the GBA?
            yes. it's pretty good game too. the gba version isn't as deep as the ps1 version but both are well worth buying.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
              Shining Force III on Sega Saturn is excellent. There are 3 parts to it, only part 1 was released in the US and Europe though.
              heh, it really pisses me off how many good japanese games aren't translated to europa/usa. it even pisses me off more when they translate one game in a series(usually the first) but not the other better ones.

Im not into RPG's but the chess-like movement and choosing various weapons each turn is quite interesting.
              you should try the ogre battle series, and final fantasy tactics series.

Comment

Working...
              X