No announcement yet.

Doom III Goes Gold!!!!!!!!!eleven

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if the game is gonna be like Doom 2's "OMG so much monsters!!11!!! cant kill em all get my ass outta here" scary or resident evil's "OMG im so weak and i have no ammo im gonna die gotta get my ass outta here" scary....
    :-p

Comment

GeForce FX5900, 3GHz P4(800FSB), 1GB RAM...

I'm ready to go

It's certainly not very long before it will be out in the shelves (it never is from this point). So be patient and book some time off work
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

More the latter, but also a different level of scare.

First, with the engine, there's no way any computer could handle a dozen monsters on your screen, as the case was with Doom2. So the fights are with one or just a few monsters at a time, no more Doom2 map16 style fighting against 50 or so Imps at the same time.

Second, it just look scary. Dark, creepy, bloody, etc. And some gross moments really make you feel scared... of the games I played that are scary, none came close to Doom3's level.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

hopefully eventually say in a few years you'll be able to handle doom 2 style gameplay in doom3. any of you guys beaten tnt or plutonia on ultra violence? i've done it in co-op(me and my brother) but i'd hate to try by myself and of course nightmare would be impossible.
          Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
            no seriously. what's so great about doom? I played Doom2, it was okay. But I didn't see the point. I just cheated to get to the end. .
            Doom came out at the time when the next-best FPS was Wolfenstein 3d. Doom was several orders of magnitude better in all respects. Graphics were much better, atmosphere was much darker and evil-feeling, more violent, faster-paced. Even beyond that though, the level design and multiplayer options were also top-notch. Each level was a good challenge in SP mode, coop and deathmatch.

While Doom is a great game to play even today, compared to its competition at the time...

Of course you will get bored cheating through the game though. Then it just becomes a point-and-click-fest that even a 4 year old can do easily. At least, my neice can do.
            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by pg
              any of you guys beaten tnt or plutonia on ultra violence? i've done it in co-op(me and my brother) but i'd hate to try by myself and of course nightmare would be impossible.
              I can finish D1 and D2 on ultra violence easily. Took me awhile to get to that point. You need to plan out where you need to go really really well and be able to execute some crazy run tactic. I think if I played now, I can probably still map my way thru the evel because I had everything memorized so well...

Nightmare is doable. Ive tried it few times, but I havent done it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
                More the latter, but also a different level of scare.

First, with the engine, there's no way any computer could handle a dozen monsters on your screen, as the case was with Doom2. So the fights are with one or just a few monsters at a time, no more Doom2 map16 style fighting against 50 or so Imps at the same time.
                no doubt it will be like resident evil then... and gameplay is prolly gonna emphasize stealthy avoid enemy as opposed to "hold on to trigger pave ur way out of hell hole" avoid....

well either way its gonna be fun.

Second, it just look scary. Dark, creepy, bloody, etc. And some gross moments really make you feel scared... of the games I played that are scary, none came close to Doom3's level.

Doom was not too bad on scare factor and AVP1's marine campaign was the scariest FPS I ever played. ****ing Aliens popping out of everywhere in the dark! &*^@(*@#)!

Comment

BTW; a demo should be out today.

EDIT: oooops, after having read the article completely, the correct statement is that they should announce the demo today.
                  sorry..
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns

Doom came out at the time when the next-best FPS was Wolfenstein 3d. Doom was several orders of magnitude better in all respects. Graphics were much better, atmosphere was much darker and evil-feeling, more violent, faster-paced. Even beyond that though, the level design and multiplayer options were also top-notch. Each level was a good challenge in SP mode, coop and deathmatch.

While Doom is a great game to play even today, compared to its competition at the time...

Doom is a landmark in FPS gaming, and even those that don't like FPS must recognise it's place in gaming history, or else!

Comment

Originally posted by Zero

I can finish D1 and D2 on ultra violence easily. Took me awhile to get to that point. You need to plan out where you need to go really really well and be able to execute some crazy run tactic. I think if I played now, I can probably still map my way thru the evel because I had everything memorized so well...

Nightmare is doable. Ive tried it few times, but I havent done it myself.
                      heh, tnt/plutonia(both are 32 level megawads) are quite harder than regular doom 1 or 2. there are more than a few boards which have hundreds of monsters not to mention 5 or so cyberdemons.

there are also tons of great megawads on the inet which are id quality or better. the only reason i brought tnt/plutonia up is because a real doom veteran wouldn't miss playing those. doom is really one of my favorite games and will remain to be so for a long time i think(you can even play co-op on the inet now). i just hope doom 3 manages to be great because i could get tons of play time out of it.

Comment

oh and here is a link to pcg review scans -

Comment

Yeah, Doom3's lighting and such makes it much more scary, though.

Much as I am optimistic about hardware, in a few years Doom2 gameplay won't be handleable on Doom3. In two or maybe three years, Doom3 will be ran by computers in its full glory, looking better than now, that's when everyone routinely uses machines with over 3GHz and one GB RAM. It will take quite a long time till dozens of monsters can be handled there. The engine is absolutely new, and is a major breakthrough not only in terms of graphics and realism, but also in terms of system requirements.
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Working...
                          X