The Political Machine, anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Political Machine, anyone?

The presidential simulator at http://www.politicalmachine.com , coming out soon.

Did anyone play the beta version while the public beta was still available?
    "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
    "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

I heard about this awhile ago... it sounds interesting, but I'm concerned that it will just be democracts vs. republicans.

That'd be like Street Fighter only having Ryu and Ken.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

No one else really has a chance, though

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
        but I'm concerned that it will just be democracts vs. republicans.
        I think the following screenie justifies your concern:

XBox Live: VovanSim
        xbox.com (login required)
        Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
        Spore page

Comment

They *do* have space for three candidates under the "State Approval", though.
          "Spirit merges with matter to sanctify the universe. Matter transcends to return to spirit. The interchangeability of matter and spirit means the starlit magic of the outermost life of our universe becomes the soul-light magic of the innermost life of our self." - Dennis Kucinich, candidate for the U. S. presidency
          "That’s the future of the Democratic Party: providing Republicans with a number of cute (but not that bright) comfort women." - Adam Yoshida, Canada's gift to the world

Comment

back in ancient times i played a card game called, I think, Mr. President. There were only the two parties. You picked two candidates, who were identified with certain issues, and whose home states were important. You got cards that represented votes - on each card was one state from each of four regions, with a certain number of votes in that state. On any given turn you could fund raise, advertise, or campaign. If you campaigned you placed one of the cards in a slot for a given region - your opponent knew which region you were campaigning in, but not which state. If you advertized, you got to specifically get votes in a particular state. A couple of cards said only pres candidate home state, vp home state, making it more likely youd win your homestate. You could call a debate and spun a die to see who would win - the challenger got to decide the topic - if it was an issue his candidate was identified with, he had an advantage.

In toting up the votes, the party that traditionally was strong in a given state (based on elections in the 50's and 60's) had an edge. This meant the map tended to follow traditional US patterns.

It was lots of fun, my friends and I played it over and over, and even recorded the final "maps". It was not particularly realistic however, though it gave the illusion.
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I'll be getting it. I want to try a good political simulation, and this looks promising. Even more so if you know that it is from the authors of GalCiv and Corporate Machine, neither of which is crap.

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                I heard about this awhile ago... it sounds interesting, but I'm concerned that it will just be democracts vs. republicans.

That'd be like Street Fighter only having Ryu and Ken.
                That tickled me just right. Thanks for that.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Could be interesting, but looking at it, it seems like a souped-up rehash of the Doonesbury Election Game in many regards. I'd rather have a game where you play a candidate and guide his political career, starting with local offices and working your way up to POTUS. That would mean having primary battles, too, though.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

I thought it looked familiar and now I know. This is just a remake of Stardock's "Entrepreneur" (later recycled as "the Corporate Machine") with some new graphics/sounds and a political background.
                    Skeptics should forego any thought of convincing the unconvinced that we hold the torch of truth illuminating the darkness. A more modest, realistic, and achievable goal is to encourage the idea that one may be mistaken. Doubt is humbling and constructive; it leads to rational thought in weighing alternatives and fully reexamining options, and it opens unlimited vistas.

Elie A. Shneour Skeptical Inquirer

Comment

Comment

Working...
                      X