Clear All

I'll buy it when it costs $20
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
      I'll buy it when it costs $20
      Its only 39.99, no big deal.

Comment

I got enough games to play that are less than $20... I figure if I stay behind the times I will live a lot cheaper.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
          I got enough games to play that are less than $20... I figure if I stay behind the times I will live a lot cheaper.
          Best way to buy games, and the hardware to play them.

Comment

Go point on the hardware... I did buy RomeTW for full price and my computer doesn't support it too well.

I do buy CIV when it comes out, and will even replace the computer to support it. In fact, the computer I have now was bought to support CIV3!
            Monkey!!!

Comment

I played Caeser3 last night, just to remind myself of the genre. I awlays liked those series of games(and pharoah). I find them just nice enjoyable games to while away the hours with. Maybe this is part of the problem as people have been expecting more of the same.

I think they have the demo available for download at the CotN website now - even for those not able to buy the game yet, so you all can give it a try and see if its for you.

sadly for me i dont have access to a pc powerfull enough to run it - but its on my new year wish list, and i'll probably pick up CotN at the same time.

Thanks for the insights on the game Joseph
              Last edited by child of Thor; November 20, 2004, 08:11.
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

child of thor you are really starting to sound like a fanboy, especially over at quartertothree. heh. you haven't even played the game yet.
                Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

True dat (i have little shame)

Lets just say with my growing dismay at the type of games that get made these days, i find it encouraging when someone trys something a little different.
                  I'll have to wait untill Jan/Feb before i can even run the demo

I've been playing Ceaser3 and have just got their previous latest game 'Emperor - rise of the middle kingdom' to give a try before then. Then i can post complaining messages saying how they've spoilt the city builder series
                  'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I'm glad Tilted Mill put a demo out because the previous citybuilder demos got me hooked...

After working my way through Pharaoh/Zeus/Emperor, the genre really needed a new focus IMO, and it appears that CotN is at least attempting to do that.

But the lack of (practical use of) roads and no practical use of beautification is not the way to do it. These elements could have been maintained in some form in the CotN world. Pharaoh is still the best. Zeus and Emperor were the start of the 'dumbing down' of these elements, and CotN eliminates their practical use altogether.

And the 3-D graphics are a step down from the beautiful (and clean) isometric finally achieved in Emperor.

I'll probably end up with the game down the road, but it is the first city-builder of the last three that I will not rush out and get.
                    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Sorry for the thread necro, but I thought it was better than starting a new one when another on the subject already existed.

I just started playing Children of the Nile recently. While I agree that the 3d graphics aren't all that great I have found the gameplay to be entirely enthralling!

Sure, CotN is a city builder and created by the same group of people (mostly) as created Caeser III (and IV) as well as Pharaoh and Emperor. But this game is quite different! It has a playstyle all its own and a flavor I can't quite get a handle (or a tastebud?) on.

The depth of strategy is good enough to be quite challenging but the game (I think) is far more approachable than the Caeser/Pharaoh type of games.

And, it is available now for $20, you can even get it from Direct2Drive, which is how I purchased it.

Oh, and there is a very active mod community on the Tilted Mill site, after all this time they are still creating mods at a rate that none but the most fanatical player could ever keep up with.

If you're looking for something new, and something very different I can highly recommend this title.

Give it a shot!

Comment

thanks - I now have a machine that will run this, at might go ahead and get it.

For someone whos already played Caesar 3, would I lose much by skipping Cleopatra, Pharoah and Zeus?
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

To me they are all fun. I have CoN on my computer and was playing until BTS showed up.

Comment

I greatly enjoyed Pharoah and Cleopatra, and I can't recomend skipping them. I also enjoy Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom for the Chinese style, improvements and Multiplay.

But at the same time, you'll probably 'get your jollies' out by playing one or the other, as like many of the city builders, they share very similar core gameplay.

Comment

Sarxis is right. Caesar, Pharaoh, Zeus, and Emperor all share very similar gameplay. That's one of the things that impressed me so about Children of the Nile, though it is an Egyptian themed city builder, it has (IMO) far more differences than similarities to previous city builders.

When I started poking around the Tilted Mill forums I found it interesting, CotN was dubbed a society builder long before SimCity:Societies was ever even heard of.

CotN has a great deal of depth, and it makes you think about your city a lot differently than Caesar and other city builder games.

Comment

My main problem was that I couldn't get it to run very stable on my PC. I did try the patches and a few other suggestions people at the tilted mill forums gave, but I was still never able to fully just forget about the CTD that would pop up now and again. It became too frustrating to play.

I still have it, as I liked what i had seen,I even liked the graphics, if not the constant attention I had to pay to the camera angles to get the view I needed - that good overall strat view. I should go check if any new patches/fixes have come out and try it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X