Win 95/98 emulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Win 95/98 emulator

Is there some sort of emulator thingamawhatsit that'll let you play Win 95/98 games on Win XP? I was going to buy Zork: Nemesis until I noticed that it might not work on Win XP.

Edit: Looks like I'll need an emulator for Planescape: Torment as well.
    Last edited by loinburger; June 15, 2004, 17:15.
    <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

There is one actually, it' called ...and stay calm here - W I N D O W S XP.

On the exe. file - right click-> compatibility -> choose which one :95/98/ME
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Holy ****, that was easy.

Trust Microsoft to do something right and make me look like a doofus.

Comment

Did it work too?
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

Yup, the game stopped crashing. Woot.

Comment

nice

so I guess it is useful to keep alva around, after all.

Comment

Ok then, I'll withdraw my contract for alva's head.
              /me grumbles to himself
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Compatibility mode is great, when it works.

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                  Compatibility mode is great, when it works.

Yeah, when it works, which is does in 0% of all cases

But yes, there is a Windows 98 (or whatever OS you need), you just need to search for Microsoft Virtual PC. It works as a normal computer, which means you need to install the OS the normal way...

Too bad it's very slow at installing... it took about 2-3 hours to install Windows 98SE... It's good it does it in the background, so I can use my computer for something else in the meantime
                  This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Are there any real benefits to using XP in the first place? I still install Windows 98SE on every machine I build.
                    "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                    "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                    "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

For one part, WinXP is much more stable than Win98SE... During the past year I think I've only seen the blue screen of death 4-5 times, while when I was using Win98SE I saw that screen on average once a day...
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Stuie
                        Are there any real benefits to using XP in the first place? I still install Windows 98SE on every machine I build.
                        Ack! You should install XP or Win2k right away. It is much more stable, uses resources (particularly memory) better, and needs to be reinstalled less often.

Comment

Originally posted by ADG
                          For one part, WinXP is much more stable than Win98SE... During the past year I think I've only seen the blue screen of death 4-5 times, while when I was using Win98SE I saw that screen on average once a day...
                          Ever since the Beta I think I saw one.

The other times XP did lock, it was usually a hard-ware related problem. Either Fast-write being on, hard-drive crashing etc...

Comment

or you could do a dual install

Comment

Only really the best option if for some reason you want to keep win98.

Comment

Working...
                              X