Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

idea pertaining to newbs and games (Mafia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Zopperoni

Main Idea
    "Gangsters".
    Great!

Gameplay
    Gangsters will use the basic formula of Mafia, but will also be an experimental ground for the original Mafia game.
    Also sounds good.

ISSUE 1) Player admission:
    B) Free-for-all

If some newbie actually proves they're not as interested somebody could always replace them mid-game via the GM.

ISSUE 2) Storyline:
    C) Flexible (GM's call)

ISSUE 3) Coordination with the Mafia game:
    A) Run Gangsters "simultaneously" with Mafia

Though each game should start once it fills... so it may not be pure simultaneous...

ISSUE 4) Gangsters' identities:
    B) Appointed gangsters DO NOT know of each other that they are the gangsters

Why change something like that for gangsters that isn't in Mafia? I've never been the mafia yet, but isn't part of the fun about being the mafia trying to also figure out who the other one is and killing them off?

Rules
    - A player may not simultaneously play Mafia and Gangsters.

Agreed.

ISSUE 5) Turn structure:
    A) Mafia-style (24 hours; flexible weekend)

Yes. If this is a sister/brother game to mafia we can't very well have new players get used to another system.

ISSUE 6) Killing style:
    A) If there is only one Gangster, then s/he must leave some kind of clue as a signature

Ummm.... how about having the GM provide clues? Maybe the gangsters offering suggestions, but the GM would know how to better submit a clue in the context of the story.

ISSUE 7) Voting procedure:
    A) Same as Mafia

Same as some other above reasons: stray too far from Mafia-style and when players migrate back and forth they have to remember too much change.

And thanks to Zopp for making the list.
    I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

• Current vote tally

ISSUE 1) Player admission:
      A) Separate games for veterans and new players - [0]
      B) Free-for-all - [16]
      C) Other - [0]

ISSUE 2) Storyline:
      A) Same/similar to Mafia - [0]
      B) Different - [2]
      C) Flexible (GM's call) - [15]

ISSUE 3) Coordination with the Mafia game:
      A) Run Gangsters "simultaneously" with Mafia - [4]
      B) Allow different run-times by having "dead" players cross over - [13]

ISSUE 4) Gangsters' identities:
      A) Appointed gangsters know of each other that they are the gangsters - [4]
      B) Appointed gangsters DO NOT know of each other that they are the gangsters - [11]

ISSUE 5) Turn structure:
      A) Mafia-style (24 hours; flexible weekend) - [16]
      B) 48 hours - [0]
      C) Other - [0]

ISSUE 6) Killing style:
      A) If there is only one Gangster, then s/he must leave some kind of clue as a signature - [10]
      B) No/Other - [6]

ISSUE 7) Voting procedure:
      A) Same as Mafia - [3]
      B) Closed ballot - [12]
      C) Other (both options are valid, but private vote is eventually the one that counts; proposed by ADG) - 1

OK, I think the picture is clearer now on ISSUE 6) All the others seem decided as well now.

This results in the following set of rules for "Gangsters":

Main Idea
      To support the growth of the Mafia game and to relieve the original Mafia game, a spin-off will be introduced. For convenience and distinction, this spin-off will be named "Gangsters".

Gameplay
      Gangsters will use the basic formula of Mafia, but will also be an experimental ground for the original Mafia game.

Gangsters will be played independently from Mafia with its own player pool, run-time, and possibly story setting (if the GM chooses so).

Like in Mafia, a General Manager (GM) will host the game. The GM will appoint one or two players (dependent on total number of participants) to be the "Gangster(s)".
      The game knows two time-settings: Day and Night. During nighttime, a player will be killed by (one of) the Gangster(s) (and eliminated from playing). During daytime, the surviving players will all vote for who they believe is the (a) Gangster. The person who receives the most votes is then killed and eliminated from playing.

When there are two Gangsters appointed, they will alternate kills until one of them is killed. The appointed Gangsters do NOT know of each other that they are Gangsters. Therefore, it is possible that one Gangster kills the other. Both Gangsters will have different killing styles to distinguish them from each other.
      If there is only one Gangster, then the GM will have him/her leave some kind of clue as a signature.

Rules
      - Any member can sign up to play Gangsters, but a player may not simultaneously play Mafia and Gangsters.
      - However, if a player is already killed and eliminated from playing Mafia, s/he is allowed to participate in a new round of Gangsters. The opposite is true as well: if a player is already killed and eliminated from playing Gangsters, s/he is allowed to participate in a new round of Mafia.
      - Surviving players have 24 hours time to cast their votes on who they think is a Gangster. This rule will be flexible during weekends (depending on the voting situation).
      - Players may only cast one vote per voting round. This vote is made through a closed ballot by PM'ing the vote to the GM. Votes made in the game thread will not be accepted.

Comparison to Mafia
      Here's a brief rundown of the similarities/differences with Mafia.

Similarities
      - Basic formula
      - Vote structure

Differences
      - Player pool (mutually exclusive)
      - Run-time (independent from Mafia)
      - Story-setting (if GM chooses so)
      - Voting form (closed ballot)

Discussion
      If there are any comments or questions or anything, please post them.

Since it is a holiday weekend coming up, I propose that the sign-up can wait until Tuesday.

Is there anyone who fancies hosting this game? (If no-one else wants to, I wouldn't mind doing it.)

Comment

• Mutually exclusive player pool means people who are still alive in the current mafia game are not eligible to sign up for it right?
        Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• That is correct.

Comment

• both options are valid, but private vote is eventually the one that counts; proposed by ADG
            Isn't that the same idea as closed ballot? Since people can lie about their choices with closed?

-
            I'd be up for signing up today actually
            -
            I would also like to suggest a heavy-roleplaying flavor for the game- (since I like roleplaying) with the characters behaving like it's a murder mystery... sort of like the movie CLUE (If anyone has seen it)

Everyone plays a role, like in mafia, and then by general concensus and deduction in-thread and by secret support (we can assume taht those who don't publicly denounce anyone merely stand by and nod wehn the majority selected murderer gets the axe), they execute their role!
            -->Visit CGN!
            -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• I mean- if the signup started today- it could end on tuesday and then the game could start on wednesday...
              -->Visit CGN!
              -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

• Originally posted by DarkCloud
                Isn't that the same idea as closed ballot? Since people can lie about their choices with closed?
                No, I cut some corners with the explanation there. The idea was that if you cast a public vote without casting a private vote, then the public vote stands. However, if you cast both a public and a private vote, then the private vote stands.

This method gives the GM a lot of headaches, so it's best to not implement it.

Comment

• oh, ok.
                  -->Visit CGN!

Comment

• I have only one objection. To the name. Why wouldn't this game be called mafia, since it indeed differs only slightly from the established rules and follows the same concept? If I remember correctly, there was already one game called gangsters in which you had real mafia gangs with their hitmen, lieutenants and bosses. This name may actually cause confusion, rather than bring more clarity.

Comment

• How about just calling it: Mafia TE

TE = The Experiment

Which also gives that if someone has an idea on how to make it better, we could use Mafia TE as a test-base
                      This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• "Gangsters" is, of course, only conceptual, but I strongly oppose a name with "Mafia" in it, because it would only work confusing when browsing for the thread.

What's the opinion on this?

Other possibilities could be:
                        Mobsters
                        Cosa Nostra
                        Underworld

Comment

• I think it's too late. I already think of it as Gangsters.

Comment

• But I don't see how Gangsters are involved in it in any way- "Assassins" makes more sense... as would "Stealth Murderers"... (though I personally prefer Assassins)
                            -->Visit CGN!

Comment

• ...how about Maniac..?
                              This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

• Maniac would be all-right.

Assassins seems to fit it better, however.

Gangsters just seems wrong... what's gangsterish about just randomly killing people?

"Murderers" maybe?
                                -->Visit CGN!

Comment

Working...
                                X