GOG.com CtP2 and Source Code Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOG.com CtP2 and Source Code Project

Now that Call to Power 2 is coming soon to Good Old Games, how will it affect the CtP2 Source Code Project? I mean GOG.com digital download version will have neither disk or any other copy protection/DRM but last time I checked (must've been year ago) CtP2 SCP does or at least did and thus installing it over GOG.com version would make it nonfunctional.

Would this also be a good change to ask Activision to lift some of the restrictions in SCP license?

Do you foresee any other complications using SCP with GOG.com version (it will most likely be latest official version)?

Shame they probably can't distribute CtP1 as it bears the Civilization name. It would have been nice to get the two together.
    Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Petrell's Domain Webmaster

The gog.com doesn't play nice with the CtP2 SCP. I just tried.

Comment

Originally posted by t0mme View Post

I guessed as much. Oh well, I'll just delay my purchase until SCP becomes compatible with GOG.com version.
      Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Comment

So when you start a game it asks for the CD?

By the way, what does the EULA of the goo.com version say, and what is the file size of the executable?

Well, I guess our interpretation of the source code EULA is very restrictive, so we may have to check it again.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

I can reach the main menu, but when I try to start a singleplayer game and click 'launch' the game goes back to the desktop, asks for a cd and closes after clicking cancel.

The size of ctp2.exe is 6.07MB, 6216KB or 6.365.184 bytes. Before applying the SCP, the first menu screen says it's version 1.1

The complete EULA is attached.
          Attached Files

Comment

Most likely the Activision part is same as in original CD version and havent been touched since (it still talks about CD's). Probably only addition is the GOG.com part and foxitreader that comes with the installer (for pdf manuals).

Comment

Here is the relevant part of the source code EULA:

• New Game Materials may be created only if such New Game Materials can be used exclusively in combination with the retail version of Call to Power II. New Game Materials may not be designed to be used as a stand-alone product.
              Anything what we make must be used only with the retail version of CTP2. In the past to ensure that it can be only used with the retail version was the CD-check. Now there is a retail version without a CD-check and without a CD.

The gog EULA says:

Copy this Program onto a hard drive or other storage device except as specifically permitted herein; you must run this Program from the included CD-ROM or DVD-ROM (although this Program itself may automatically copy a portion of this Program onto your hard drive during installation in order to run more efficiently)unless you are downloading this Program from an authorized Activision online reseller.
              So this says if you own a CD-ROM or a DVD-ROM than you have to run it from there, if you have legally downloaded you don't have to.

That's pretty stupid, I can't offer two versions of the executable one with CD-check and another without CD-check, and tell the people if you have a legal CD get the CD-check version, and tell those who legally downloaded it get the non-CD version, and finally tell those who have downloaded it illegally, get the CD-check version so that you can't play.

Well let's see what else the source code EULA says:

INDEMNITY. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold Activision, its partners, licensors, affiliates, contractors, officers, directors, employees and agents harmless from all damages, losses and expenses arising directly or indirectly from your acts and omissions to act in using the Product pursuant to the terms of this Agreement
              So I am not allowed to harm Activision, which I would do if I don't release a no-CD-version.

So looks like we need a new release, with disabled CD check.

-Martin

Comment

That is good news! Are you going to run that by Activision or do you trust your interpretation of the EULA (which I do )

Comment

That is good news! Are you going to run that by Activision or do you trust your interpretation of the EULA (which I do )
                  I simply trust my interpretation, not releasing a no-CD version simply harms now Activision. So I have to release it as soon as possible, preferably today. But my time is limited and I have some more fixed in the pipe that should also be tested a little bit more. Well, but this shouldn't take to long. It would take much longer if I asked Activision, first.

-Martin

Comment

Thank you Martin! It works!

Comment

Working...
                    X