Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESIGN: Modern City Styles

See the attached picture.

The top row of cities is the Arabian and Asian modern city styles. Notice they both have the same coloured skyscrapers, and only a different building in the background differs between them.

The bottom row of cities is the palace and Egyptian modern city styles. Notice that these have different coloured skyscrapers, I guess to differentiate them from each other more.

Which type of modern city style do you prefer?

I don't like the "colourised" skyscrapers, I prefer my skyscrapers all in the original colours of the top row. And just separate the different styles with a building or landmark in the background.

EDIT: I just realised the Arabian city is actually a slightly different colour than the Asian one too but I think the top row (and the Asian style in particular) is how I prefer them.

EDIT2: I've added a comparison of all modern city styles with the standard modern city colours. I also changed the Asian and Arabian styles, even though they were close to the original colours, they didn't contain as many colours, and kind of looked "washed" in blue.
    Attached Files
    All styles have the same coloured towers and skyscrapers.
    55.56%
    Different coloured skyscrapers for different styles (as it is now).
    44.44%
    Banana coloured / Other (please post).
    0.00%
    Last edited by Maquiladora; June 16, 2009, 02:18.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

I prefer using the same color for all styles. It reinforces what the modern style already symbolizes: the emergence of a unified world culture overtaking and marginalizing regional ones (i.e. pushing them into the background, as depicted in the styles above).
    "

Comment

I like the idea of same color...but more so, I think that the different colors (in particular the light blue) are out of place for the modern era...when you think of skyscrapers...even for a stylized graphic for a game...you wouldn't think of them being certain shades. The dark blue and purple are muted enough that they seem more realistic.
      ---

Comment

too bad we cant make the tone/shade of the cities match the civ's color.
        Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

A better comparison:
          Attached Files
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

I've added a comparison of all modern city styles to the first post with the standard modern city colours. I also changed the Asian and Arabian styles, even though they were close to the original colours, they didn't contain as many colours, and kind of looked "washed" in blue.

All I need to do now is upload them, either as an alternate set, or replace the ones we have and put those in an alternate set.

Comment

i think you should add them as new but then again i've always tried to improve the graphics of the game.
              Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

I do think they look better in realistic colours, and they look closer to the original modern style, which is also a good thing as I think it's a good set of sprites. As opposed to the CtP2 genetic style, which I don't like much.

And just thinking about city styles in other ages, we don't have separate sprites for classical (uses ancient) or renaissance (uses medieval). It would be nice to have a different style for every age.

Perhaps I should start a more general thread for city sprites at some point, so we can see them all together.

I'll give this poll a week anyway.

EDIT: And the computer age doesn't have it's own style, using modern.
                Last edited by Maquiladora; June 17, 2009, 03:48.

Comment

I didn't even know those other age's existed until you added the choose starting age option to single player.
                  "

Comment

Originally posted by EPW View Post
                    I didn't even know those other age's existed until you added the choose starting age option to single player.
                    That's another issue, all you get is a message in the msg tab telling you you entered a new age. Frankly I expect at least a pop-up with a big title telling me. The player likes rewards

Comment

Is there a set out that keeps the "moument" (eg egyptian pyramid) through the genetic and diamond age?

Comment

I don't think so. Do you want to make one?

Comment

It just crossed my mind that the conflicting citystyle unhappiness rule will be hard to use in the genetic and diamond age, where you can't differentiate the styles.

Comment

Working...
                          X