Can I copy the game disk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I copy the game disk?

Not having a no-cd patch for the game or a mini image is a real pain.
    I wanted to re-visit this "old" gem but cannot find ether of my CDs.

I did copy the disk the last time I was playing the game, but to my shame I did not test the copy.
    So now, when I need it, the copy is not working.

My question is, how can I copy the disk when I find it?
    Does the EULA give permission to copy the game disk and/or instructions on how to do that?

Originally posted by cue View Post
    Does the EULA give permission to copy the game disk and/or instructions on how to do that?
    The EULA does not give permission to copy the CD, so its illegal (maybe a backup copy), but of course Activision does not check your computer.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

we ar going to run into this issue as time goes on. people do come back to ctp2 but since its going on a 10-yr old game its hard to find old discs or buy new ones. is there a way we can get activision to offer a steam version or some DL website to offer it cheap? Could we get apolyton to host a downloadable couple (money going to activision of course )
      Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Well, you can still buy it on ebay.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

My question is, how can I copy the disk when I find it?
          Most modern cd burning programs can do that easily now, especially with an old game like CtP2.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Can you not contact activision with the name of apolyton on behalf of the game fans and ask if they would be willing to drop the EULA or re-release the game on Steam or even allow some one else to release the game on Steam against a commission?

Comment

Well, thats final, I cant find my CD
              Now I will have to wait until I'm not looking for it, then it will popp up.

See you all then

Comment

Maybe we can buy CTP2 from EA.
                "

Comment

Alternatively, You can download the game from the SVN server and compile a non-release version that doesn't have the cd-check.
                  "

Comment

don't they sell it on amazon?
                    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Can you not contact activision with the name of apolyton on behalf of the game fans and ask if they would be willing to drop the EULA or re-release the game on Steam or even allow some one else to release the game on Steam against a commission?
                      I would prefer GOG.com (Good Old Games) instead as their games are DRM free, modified to be XP/Vista compatible and they have no regional restrictions or pricing (everyone pays same amount in USD). There should not be any license problem either as AFAIK Activision was both developer and publisher thus own both the IP and distribution rights. CTP2 turns 10 next year so Activision could reduce/remove the restrictions on the source code as anniversary present for fans.
                      Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.

Petrell's Domain Webmaster

Comment

Does anyone know if there would be any cost for Activision to put the game on Steam?

Comment

Working...
                        X