This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protra,

The tougher Gold I think isn't so much about code but a decision to cut back on gold values for terrain and govt. Gold is even tougher in the Call2Civ mod

Speaking of Call2Civ, I'm glad I fixed the load problem AND the continent_assert (it was caused by mountains being air). I'm looking to have a new mod out soon that uses the new energy code i created (details in the coming thread), but I'm looking to add another ratio modifier as well to make each progressive age have a different impact as you go through them.
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

@Martin,
      Martin I ran into a problem with the sink code you put into Unit.cpp. it crashed the game. I ended up fixing it by out comment thing the (*this). I'm really weak on conceptually understanding *this pointers (I know I've used them but those were leaps of faith). So I didn't get a chance to fix it. I think it might be that KillUnit deletes are references and maybe the slic message should appear before the unit is killed but I have yet to give it a ride.

@strategies.txt and Call2Civ
      I'm having one hell of a game. I'm tweaking as I go so it causes some odd things like I noticed that most civs are tiny, probably due moreto my settling limitations than AI (I changed it and have seen atleast 1 civ start growing again). But the AI for have civs in the range of size 1 to 5 is doing well building wonders.

The change in strategy tex has led to more cities changing hands. THe barbarians destroyed 2 civs. And I've seen them with three + cities. But even better the AI took the barbarian cities and One AI civ wiped out another. This is before turn 85. I'm up to turn 190 now and the Ai sems to be leading tech wise. My religion code is working and I see the Romans are rapidly building units (lots according to the cheat) to spread their Hindu faith. Not sure how my Byzantine Bhuddism is going to deal with that!

I'll post the strategies text I made it has very minor changes that seemed to do a lot for the game. I think we should discuss either adopting those changes or additional modification based on Protra's experience.

Comment

Originally posted by E
        @Martin,
        Martin I ran into a problem with the sink code you put into Unit.cpp. it crashed the game. I ended up fixing it by out comment thing the (*this). I'm really weak on conceptually understanding *this pointers (I know I've used them but those were leaps of faith). So I didn't get a chance to fix it. I think it might be that KillUnit deletes are references and maybe the slic message should appear before the unit is killed but I have yet to give it a ride.
        Unfortunatly I haven't found the revision when I did the change, maybe I moved it out of a method of class unit or of class army. Anyway in both cases KillUnit is or may be a suicide order of a unit object or an army object. Actually this is always a bad idea, you never know what you or someone else trys to do with a this pointer. So actually this kind of code belongs into a sink event and not into methods.

Originally posted by E
        @strategies.txt and Call2Civ
        I'm having one hell of a game. I'm tweaking as I go so it causes some odd things like I noticed that most civs are tiny, probably due moreto my settling limitations than AI (I changed it and have seen atleast 1 civ start growing again). But the AI for have civs in the range of size 1 to 5 is doing well building wonders.
        Looks like you have no idea what you are doing there.

Originally posted by E
        The change in strategy tex has led to more cities changing hands. THe barbarians destroyed 2 civs. And I've seen them with three + cities. But even better the AI took the barbarian cities and One AI civ wiped out another. This is before turn 85.
        Is it, because the AIs do better or do worse?

Originally posted by E
        I'll post the strategies text I made it has very minor changes that seemed to do a lot for the game. I think we should discuss either adopting those changes or additional modification based on Protra's experience.
        As I told you if you can explain me what those changes do no problem, if you don't I don't want to see them in the main game.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

The AI is doing much better. because of the settling restrictions the AI didn't stretch too much (it avoided forests, mountains etc so it left open territory, plus my terrain scores were too low so i restored originalvalues as well)

Some AIs didn't build any defenders at first, I check my civilisation.txt and saw that I had some AI with barbarian personalities and changed them to stalin. Now the AI has really reinforced there cities are I've seen some 10 stacks running around.

The changes I made were to boos SEIGE in the more militant strategies (barbarian militarists etc) and it made all the difference. Because the values previously equalled attack and often both were less than defend I think the AI didn't move units as much and when they did they targeted units, not cities. Now with seige it goes for cities (even though it will hit units when need be). We may do additional tweaks but over the game is much better, best first 100 turns I've seen in a civ game

attached is my strategies text if interested
          Attached Files

Comment

Well E, your changes seem to be logical, indeed we agree that Barbarians should take empty cities. The attack strategy shouldn't priorise the defend goal over the attack goal. The siege strategy is about taking cities and therefore should give the siege goal the highest priority. A militarist should play aggresive and shouldn't invest so much into defence. Diplomatic guys should build more embasies and economic guys should do more piracy and franchising. The only thing that is arguable is that the ecotopian should less defend. But actually defence is not a specific property of ecotopians.

So far we can add it to the main code base.

-Martin

Comment

Might be something to add to your build(700) E.Have you done any work on the Goals file as well?It seem to work together with Stategies file.Adding ColdEnemy to Attack and Segie in the Goals file might prove intresting.
              I might add the file to a game im playing (playtest) and see how this file works. About 2/3 done and so far have not fought in any wars.

Comment

Originally posted by Protra3211
                Adding ColdEnemy to Attack and Segie in the Goals file might prove intresting.
                That would turn cold enemies into hot enemies. Imagine the 20th century with the USA and the USSR treating each other as hot enemies. Definately in that case they would have used their nuclear boom-booms and the result would have been total annhilation of all of us.

-Martin

Comment

Originally posted by E
                  This is one of your own modifications, E. Martin only moved your code from ArmyData to Unit. You can not use the Unit any more after having called KillUnit, which removes the Unit (and its id) from the pool of valid units. When you try to add it to the Slic object, it fails. If you want to add information to the message box, you have to store the unit location (before calling KillUnit) and add the location to the Slic object, so the user can find out spot where the unit has sunk. But actually, you are not using the Slic object at all.

Apparently, the code move made me miss this occurrence of creating a Slic object without doing anything with it. See the added remarks in ArmyData.cpp in revision 704.

Comment

I'm getting this compile error in FRomafar's 704

Code:
                    \ctp2_code\gfx\tilesys\TiledMap.cpp(2530) : error C2440: 'initializing' : cannot convert from 'const char *' to 'char *'
                            Conversion loses qualifiers
                    How do I fix it?

Comment

I couldnt figure out how to fix the const Char problem I posted above so Irestored the original armydata to get a working version again.

I fixed my religion icon code to allow for the icon database to be accessible through a buildings and wonder's flag. It works great (and allows for holy cities!)
                      But I noticed that my save games with the old code caused crashes. Not sure if #def is going to work on that one since I think we should eliminate the old code (as well as all the bools in citydata).

I added a new profile option that I really want to be a toggle button in the graphics option but still not sure how to get it done. I think the problem is due to a map refresh. but I'm still working it. Anyways its the ability to display army names on a map which adds a little more customization and "ownership" of your empire and it helps keep track of what is going where.

see attached pic
                      Attached Files

Comment

I created code to use numbers instead of numbered flags but the text is too large and not centered. Any ideas on how to fix it?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well E, it looks like you have a lot of settlers on your map but why I do see just one settler?

-Martin

Comment

just a cheat screen

i fixed the placement of the numbers and made it only appear greater than 1 but the size is stil huge I may have to modify the drawstring method to take a sint32 for font size to resize it.

Comment

Originally posted by E
                              but the size is stil huge I may have to modify the drawstring method to take a sint32 for font size to resize it.
                              No E, you don't modify aui_BitMapFont:rawString, you just have to change the PointSize of m_font. And of course after drawing you should change it back.

-Martin

Comment

ok, i tried to use the setfontsize method in drawcitynames as test and it did not do anything. thats why i thought i would have to change thedraw string method something about "atoi" makes it look in a file or something in the method so it overrides any time i use setfontsize

Comment

Working...
                                X