Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some thoughts on Wonders and The Great Wall

Hi,

While playing AOMIII, I sometimes have to create units in once city, send them to the city where a wonder is being built and disband them there, just to beat the AI to a certain wonder. Would it be a nice feature if you would be able to use several cities to work together on a wonder? It wouldn't seem to unrealistic I think, didn't the pyramids require work on several locations, ofter pretty far away from each other? This would make the clumsy work around I described above unnecessary.

Secondly, I was browsing a bit through older threads, and saw one about the Great Wall wonder and how to make a visible wonder out of it. Maybe it's possible to make the wonder itself a bit less expensive. You than get - after completion of the wonder - two new tile improvements available. A Great Wall imp, and a Great Wall Fort imp. You can place these then wherever you want, so you can protect your empire with the Great Wall where you really need it. You can place a few Wall tiles, a Great Wall Fort tile, a few Wall tiles again etc etc
    The Great Wall would be impassable for enemy units, give a lot of protection, and it would be used as a road by your own units. The Great Wall Forts would be terrific defensive spots, capable of supplying units too. All the AI can try to do, is bombard a Great Wall tile imp until it is breached.
    This way, the AI does not need to place any wall on the map, you do it yourself as you see fit.

Just thinking aloud here;-)

Tellius
    Only tyrants need worry about tyrant-killers

for the great wall, that sounds like a mod idea... making a tile thats road with defense sounds good, but why can only one person build it?

If the tile is impassible, it would be an overwhelming advantage, the owner no longer is afraid of attacks or stealth units... and theres no such thing as an impassible wall, if there were no soldiers on the great wall, anyone could move thru it

Comment

In my current code additions I added a 'DeniedToEnemy' Flag which I use on railroads in my civ3mod so that a tile with a railroad if used by someone you are at war with only gives the movecost of the original terrain not the railrads bonus.

So It wouldn't be too hard to make an ImpassableToEnemy flag but when would that limit end. Have it by a unit or and advance complicates it more.

As for special placing it. I have a 'NeedsFeatToBuild' flag for Wonders, Units, and Buildings. Once a feat has been achieved then the unit can be built. But I've noticed that once its achieved ANY player can build it. Not what I initially wanted but in my civ3mod I use it for Mass Production and it enables Guerrillas to be built by anyone (no matter the tech level, great for simulating the real world).

I tried to create a 'buildonce' kind of flag for tileimps. It would have made my VisibleWonders code a lot easier and let the player build where the want. But I didn't have any luck figuring how to do that. I think there might be a way to do it using the installation code in Player::BeginTurnProduction (player.cpp) and add a counter. It would be a great code. Especially for adding nice features like bonus monuments for certain points etc to 'beautify' an empire.

Unfortunately, my ctp2 is getting more and more limited (I start an exec MBA next month). If you want to try, start a thread I can help guide you as I'm sure Martin G and Fromafar can when they have the time. But for now I barely have the time for my old showonmap code and trying to debug...
      Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Hi,

but why can only one person build it?
        Well, that's the whole point with a wonder, isn't it? The one who 'researches' a wonder first, gets its benefits.

But you are right, impassable seems a bit too harsh. But a very big advantage for the defender should be the minimum. If you make the tile imp very expensive, it would be impossible to build the wall around your entire empire.

Tellius
        Only tyrants need worry about tyrant-killers

Comment

Working...
        X