Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• custom fonts

Hi everyone

I'am makeing a polish translation to CtP2 a have a problem. Is it posible to edit games font's and add custom fonts ? Becouse i need to use some diacritic mark
    please help

Well at least I know that the game as font folders, under ..\ctp2_data\default\uidata\font\

And in there is also in the language tree such a folder at least in CTP1, probably you have to put your modified font in there. And you have to modify the UI files I guess to make the game to use this font, or alternatively the modified font overwrites an exsiting font on your system if placed there.

Unfortunatly I never added a customized font, so I don't know much about the details.

However it must be possible since the japanese version, doesn't use anything that looks like a Latain letter.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

I did try changing fonts and I didn't see any effects. must not been the right files. But please let us know if you have any success and to what files you had to change!
      Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

I think that the font are "in game" and I have to edit some game files but i'm not a good programmer.
        Can any1 do this , there is a "Source Code Project" and it have to be posible !!

Comment

I don't think so. Give the font files in UI a shot first (you don't have to be a programmer , but if you have questions we'll try and help).

As for the source code project I guess that could be an option if we find out you cant edit fonts through the regular game files with the directory Martin posted.

Comment

It's strange, I delete all fonts in game directory even remove font*.ldl from ...Call To Power 2\ctp2_data\english\uidata\layouts. Delete all arial fonts in system directory (but I don't restart the PC) and the the game run smoothly without any errors ? whay ?

Comment

whoa that is weird. i'm guessing the fonts didnt change either.

Comment

The font*.ldl files aren't used by the game, see Civ3.ldl there they are outcommented.

Therefore deleting those files does not has any effect.

Deleting the arial fonts should have a minor effect, as only arialbd.ttf is used, at most times times.ttf and timesbd.ttf are used, and the game uses some default fonts.

Maybe that holds also for the operating system. But this is pure speculation.

-Martin

Comment

After some tests (moving and adding font files from sys. dir)
                  I know that the game use; arial.ttf, arialbd.ttf, times.ttf, timesbd.ttf SYSTEM FONT files. (yes your right Martin ) Next step is to force game to use other fonts (can any1 tell me in what games files is defined the "used fonts"; there's something about fonts in Civ3.ldl, are there any other files? )

And how can I edit ttf files.
                  (Actualy i'm looking at google for some font editor)

/edit/
                  YEAH , I know how do it
                  First I put all polish diacritic marks to a game file (ldl_str.txt,
                  instead of text SINGLE PLAYER to make the job easier) I edited timesbd.ttf file
                  and then change all symbols thats apper insted text "single player" to the proper polish characters
                  but ther's an problem two of charakters appers as small rectangles
                  there are lot of smal rectangles in font files (unused characters)
                  My question is how to check what charakter is it ?
                  Last edited by erjot; August 26, 2005, 12:34.

Comment

editing ttfs will require buying a foonts program i think. they are about $30 and you can make your own fonts (i looked at them awhile back because my mom has a printing business)

but you should be able to specify what fonts to use some where. I tried to change a bunch of font names and nothing ever happened. I guess you have to keep digging.

please dont give up, this would be a nice touch!

Comment

Originally posted by erjot
                      but ther's an problem two of charakters appers as small rectangles
                      there are lot of smal rectangles in font files (unused characters)
                      My question is how to check what charakter is it ?
                      Well, one way would be to compare the font file with a polish font file. I asume you have such a file on your system. However I don't know whether this work and the alternative that gets into my mind isn't such a nice way either: Replaceing all the rectangles in the font file - some tiresome work.

-Martin

Comment

I already repleace ALL the rectangles
                        ("some tiresome work" not at all I use Font Creator 5.0 Trial and it's took me about 30 min )

I figure out that those characters aren't the default characters. The program show it as "nodefine" char.
                        SO all I have to do is to repleace some unused characters an put instead of them the two polish diacritic mark.
                        But if I want to use it I have to wright it from ascii code
                        BUT it's WORK

/edit/

Ok, I finally made the polish font from file timebd.ttf
                        And now I have an request
                        hire is a archive thats contains 3 files:
                        polishctp2.png - this file show how should like the characters look
                        ldl_str.txt - this is an modifed file you shoult put in ...Call To Power 2\ctp2_data\english\gamedata
                        timesbd.ttf - the most important file put it in sys. font dir.
                        (REMEMBER make backup of ldl_str.txt and timesbd.ttf)
                        http://www.icpnet.pl/~erjot/CtP2Patch/polishCtP2.rar

could anyone test this and tell me (put a screenshot on forum) that does it look like on the polishctp2.png file on his/her PC.
                        Last edited by erjot; August 28, 2005, 04:38.

Comment

You don't have to put the fonts in the system folder. Putting the fonts in a "language"\uidata\fonts directory will work.

Unfortunately, we don't have a single player button anymore with the playtest release, so this is only partial evidence that it will work.
                          Attached Files

Comment

I allready put the font to a "language\uidata\fonts" directory
                            ok thx at all
                            It's work, now all i have to do is change my polish translation (it isn't finish) to the "proper" translation
                            And maybe I start new topic "Polish translation" and see how many polish users is here

Comment

I was able to go through and "change" the fonts but putting my choice fonts in the language directory\fonts and did the renaming of arial and times but is it possible somewhere to change the size. everything is 12 point and below...

Comment

Working...
                              X