* Any Thought of using This? *

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• * Any Thought of using This? *

Here is a game "Ages of Man" that is going to be released in April as freeware based on CTP2.

Any thought to using this game as the basis for further work?

Here:

AoM is an extremely impressive mod. It's great to see it actually being finished like that, impressive.

The other interesting part is... will it run on the source code build. I think yes. After all, it's a mod, so it should use the same SLIC and everything else that other mods do. AI has been apparently improved in AoM, but then again, AI scripts from other mods do work on the source project as well. I'm reserving final judgement until I play the game, but currently it seems that AoM running on top of the source code build will prove amazing.
    Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
    I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

In that mod they have accomplished a lot of work and it is polished enough for release...

I see in the credits they have listed most of you in the game, so there is already a lot of your work in this mod (I see the wonders on the map).

And since it is freeware - then it is open for further work... They are only charging for the game to be placed on CD (about $5.00).

Perhaps everyone could combine their talents on improving this version of CTP2?

Comment

Uhmm.... it's different things, really. That mod, as well as any mod, is units, techs, rules of the game, etc. What the source project works on is different, it works on stuff that is hardcoded, on fixing bugs, and adding new tools for modmakers. For instance, fixing fundamental AI flaws that can't be worked around using SLIC, enhancing maximal number of sprites, fixing bugs. That's why the source build with, say, Cradle, plays better than original CtP2 with Cradle - it just has less bugs and other improvements.

What AoM could potentially be used for is the Apolyton CtP2 release 1.0. We want that one to be not only better bug-wise, but also to provide nicer gameplay. Three have been so far two opinions. One is to keep CtP2:AE 1.0 rather close to the original, only tweaking a few values for balance, the other is to possibly add a full mod to improve gameplay. In which case, AoM looks like it could be a great choice.

Comment

I think you have something Solver. If this AOM has new options that add to gameplay that everone would like to use then adding the new code changes would be a whole new game.

The next step is to have a copy of AOM sent to someone who could do a preview on game play and post in the Apolyton forums
          Have to add that the work on the code so far has produced big changes. I feel that the Ai expands alot better then before -AI to AI diplomacy is happening now.

Comment

Yes, Stan will hopefully soon provide Apolyton with the mod, and I believe the gameplay there will be much better. We got to evaluate it and the AI though .

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
              Uhmm.... it's different things, really. That mod, as well as any mod, is units, techs, rules of the game, etc. What the source project works on is different, it works on stuff that is hardcoded, on fixing bugs, and adding new tools for modmakers. For instance, fixing fundamental AI flaws that can't be worked around using SLIC, enhancing maximal number of sprites, fixing bugs. That's why the source build with, say, Cradle, plays better than original CtP2 with Cradle - it just has less bugs and other improvements.

What AoM could potentially be used for is the Apolyton CtP2 release 1.0. We want that one to be not only better bug-wise, but also to provide nicer gameplay. Three have been so far two opinions. One is to keep CtP2:AE 1.0 rather close to the original, only tweaking a few values for balance, the other is to possibly add a full mod to improve gameplay. In which case, AoM looks like it could be a great choice.
              I see what you mean.

Perhaps those putting out AoM could provide a copy for someone here to evalute it and review it.

Based on a positive review, I'll bet they sell a lot of copies...

Comment

Working...
              X