Ideas for this project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ideas for this project

If anyone is interested, I've had a small brainstorm for things i personally would like to see encorporated into a civ game. Essentially, i've been writing the manual to my dream civilization game, witht he intention of porgramming it somehow, once i work out the details.

a few key ideas that may richen the civ experience i'll list here:

1. Use the Trade network concept from Civ 3, where cities connected by raod, rail, or a sea route can trade freely, without a single CTP style route.

2. Take the civ 3 stretegic resources concept farther. All resoureces, wiht a few exepctions, would be mined in a raw form, which could then be processed to create a finished, and more valuable commodity. This is an important facet of trade: value added from manufacturing and refining.

Oil, coal, and natural gas would be produced from mined tiles. All production of these consumable resources in a trade network would be summed to give a per turn rate of production for each trade network. buildings such as factories, mass transit, etc. woulduse a certain rate per year. Obviously, you would need to keep up a steady production of each resource to keep these buildings running.

Oil would be produced from a mine as crude oil. Refineries would produce generic "refined oil" to be used or traded. Natuiral gas and coal could be used straight up.

The assumption I'm making here is that the resources consumed annually far outwiegh the oil/coal etc. spent to make the item. therefore, it will not cost 100 oil to make a battleship. rather, the battleship when finished, might consume 1 unit per year.

Similarly, power plants would produce a certain annual flow of electricity, which would be distributed across the trade network. Citizens, industry would use electricity at a given rate, and you would need to keep them supplied for them to work.

More advanced metals could be mined as ore, and processed in a generic smelter in the city. 1 smelter in a trade network would be sufficient, and techs that reveal each new metal would also allow an upgrade of your smelter to handle the new ore. metals and other resoruces like luxuries would not have production rates. 1 resource tile gives you all you could ever need...more tiles give you something to trade with other civs.

An important note: all this special resource production is totally divorced from raw material production for the cities. Carfeul profgramming would make most of this process invisible and seamless so that the user would not have to do much micromanaging.

This system mirrors our modern dependence of oil and electricity. without them, factories, manufacturing plants, laboratories and other such modern buiuldings wouldn't work very well. In the game, not having access to these resources will make advanced buildings/units function at something like 30% capacity. It is now entirely possible to cripple cities and naval fleets by cutting off their resouces. This tactic is very important, and largely overlooked in the civ games thus far.

2a. Part of using my resource model means that tanks, planes, ships and other mechanized units would consume resources in the field. To be fair, units in cities, or maybe within a square or two of a freindly city, would not consuime these resources. This models the need to keep armies and navies supplied without the hassle of supply ships and convoys and whatnot.

2.b The value of research that increased energy efficiency would thus become very important. Advanced techs could include things like advanced chemical plants and fusion plants that would be able to synthesize fuels with electricity, reducing dependence on mined resources. Use your imaginations to flesh this section out

3. Use a hexagonal grid (hard to do, but makes city radius more logical)

4. make the city radius variable, not only with civ 3 style culture borders, but make large cities be able to work tiles 3 or maybe more tiles away. the stipulation is, the tile must be connected with road or greater to be worked.

4a. Make a new tile improvement, superhighways, that less laborers commute from one city to another. superhighways would offer no exta benfit per tile, but would create a new commuter network similar to the trade network. when allocating people in your city screen for city jobs such as (production) labor, research, buisness, and entertainment, you could use other cities citizens. this system lets you allocate citzens so that the best production/trade/research cities get the most people to do these jobs.

5. expand the concept of attrition...units lose health in enemy territory, like in Rise of nations. additionally, a minefield could be implemented as a tile improvement that drastically increased this attrition rate, with a 10% chance of killing an enemy outright. sea mines could be done similarly.

6. change the production engine. citizens working tiles produce generic "raw materials" for the city. both food and raw materials could then be traded within your trade networks or even across civilizations. cities then, throuhg laborers, convert the net raw materials into production for the city. the key is that production comes almost exculsively from laborers, not magically appearing for no reason. inflate food production in the game to support larger populations, then make factories and such improve the laborers output, rather than being a generic multiplier.

Electric power would not directly influence production, but grant access to better production facilities that would increase the citiy output.

Miscellaneous

change tax collectors to buisnessmen that generate commerce instead of simply tax revenue.

make the offshore platform a unit that can move 1 square per turn in the ovcean. it can deploy over resources in the sea, such as oil, and send those resoruces to a certain city., it would be capturable liek a tile improvement, so you'd need to defend it in tim,es of war.

use a combination of workers and public works to make tile improvements. Public wokrs would pay for local improvements, whereas workers could build far from your cities.

encorporate civ 3's air mission system for air units.

maybe use the space layer of CTP1, but make it so that raw materials have to be delivered to the space cities for them to make production.

More to come as I think of it...and depending on the reception these ideas get...

Re: Ideas for this project

Originally posted by tmminionman
    4. make the city radius variable, not only with civ 3 style culture borders, but make large cities be able to work tiles 3 or maybe more tiles away. the stipulation is, the tile must be connected with road or greater to be worked.
    The city radius is variable, a city starts with a radius of one, with a pop of 6 it has a radius of 2 like in CTP1 or in Civ2, with a pop of 19 it has a radius of 3, well and there is another increase but I forgot the number of necessary pops. And there is another concept national borders, they doesn't grow with the city.

change tax collectors to buisnessmen that generate commerce instead of simply tax revenue.
    The guy is called Merchant and they increase the gold income, however gold and commerce are used as synnonymes in the CTP2 source code, like production and shields.

make the offshore platform a unit that can move 1 square per turn in the ovcean. it can deploy over resources in the sea, such as oil, and send those resoruces to a certain city., it would be capturable liek a tile improvement, so you'd need to defend it in tim,es of war.
    I just need to build a lot of them and my cost is secure against hostile submarines, at least I have some time to react until the enemy comes closer. Well that's another variant of the beef wall. And it also sounds like a 200 settler problem.

use a combination of workers and public works to make tile improvements. Public wokrs would pay for local improvements, whereas workers could build far from your cities.
    You cannot build any tile improvement outside of your borders or those of your allies, except forts given the location is in your vision range, that means you gave to send a unit to that place, so I don't see the need for a tile improving unit type now.
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Fair enough...i've played mroe civ 3 that CTP 2, so i'm not really familiar with all of CTP's nuances. A question though, when the city radius expands, can you work more tiles with your citizens, or do you just see farther?

The point of my "buisnessman" is that he doesn't just generate tax income, but actually makes commerce that can be used for sceience or luxuires. Am i understanding corretcly that a merchant does that?

Thanks for the comments on the miscelaneous section....what does everyone think of my 6 ponts address just above? that; the real meat of my post anyway

and addewndum to my resouirce model...the trade network from civ 3 a is a convenient way to decide whether cities can trade or not, but it's not entireley necessary for you die-hard ctp2 fans. it would also work if you made a civilization-wide resource productin that every city could use. unfortunatley, this would remove the ability to blockade a city and cut off it's resources, which would be a great tactic to have.
      Last edited by tmminionman; September 24, 2004, 12:45.

Comment

Fair enough...i've played mroe civ 3 that CTP 2, so i'm not really familiar with all of CTP's nuances. A question though, when the city radius expands, can you work more tiles with your citizens, or do you just see farther?

In CtP2, a city works ALL tiles in its radius. When it's 8 tiles, then 8 tiles are worked, when it expands, all the new ons are worked, too. Which is why a city becomes much more productive with a radius increase.

As for your other points... they've been touched upon in some way and/or discussed in detail. For instance, the trade/resource system has been discussed really a lot in the threads here.

Anyway, though, the team's focus is on fixing bugs in the game, not adding new feautures now.
        Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
        I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Welcome tmminionman!

Have a look at the Source Code Project Design Index thread and feel free to add your comments to any of the specific threads

My responses to:
          1. The problem with this is that roads cannot be built outside of national borders. Roads in CTP are very different from roads in Civ. I like this idea in theory, but it will need to be modified (significantly?) to fit with the CTP gameplay.

2. It would likely be easier to create a new game than try to modify CTP2 in such a dramatic way, but we have discussed similar ideas before and may try to implement aspects of them

3. No.

4. As Martin said, a out-of-the-box feature of CTP2.

5. See all of the threads on Units. Game balance?

6. Are you suggesting moving back to the Civ idea of having each pop point represented by a little 'worker' who you can place on a given square in the city view? Transfer/trade of food, commerce/gold, and production/shields between cities is a good idea. Production is a function of shields from the land occupied by a city, the population of the city, and the number of hours worked each day; it is not "magically appearing for no reason". Building 'power plants' and 'factories' (as in RL) increases the productivity of workers.

"encorporate civ 3's air mission system for air units" I did not like this idea in Civ3. Given that CTP2 has buildings which provide 'air defence' and has units with 'active air defence' I am not sure that the idea translates to CTP2 gameplay (I know some people here disagree). Air units are no more restricted to a supply base than Sea units or Land units, so why have separate systems?

"maybe use the space layer of CTP1" The code is effective gone as far as anyone has been able to tell.
          ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
          "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
          Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

Originally posted by Solver
            Anyway, though, the team's focus is on fixing bugs in the game, not adding new feautures now.
            True. Sort of...

We have implemented a few small easy new features, some of which we found half completed in the code. The altered trade system is an example.
            ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
            "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
            Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

Flinx, yes, but not major feautures. Although the ones that were implemented I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Flinx

6. Are you suggesting moving back to the Civ idea of having each pop point represented by a little 'worker' who you can place on a given square in the city view? Transfer/trade of food, commerce/gold, and production/shields between cities is a good idea. Production is a function of shields from the land occupied by a city, the population of the city, and the number of hours worked each day; it is not "magically appearing for no reason". Building 'power plants' and 'factories' (as in RL) increases the productivity of workers.
                I was suggesting that you differentiate between Production that the city uses to build things with, and "sheilds" generated from tiles. I would call the shields in tiles "raw materials" that laborers in the city convert to units buildings, etc. See, a mining town is not necessarily a manufacturing town...i want to seperate the two processes, so a small border town could suppl,y raw material to a larger city. All you would really have to do is make production and food tradable. As i understand, one of the citizens jobs from ctp 1 was laborer, which would generate production./ well, what if the population numbers wwere inflated, but you ahd to get all of your production from laborer? just another way to model the production process, and it would be nice to have, if only for modding sake.

In general, if there are two schools of thought on a subject siuch as this, i would love to see both features implemented, and simply choose one as the official version, elaving the other for modders.

Comment

3. Use a hexagonal grid (hard to do, but makes city radius more logical)
                  Id really like to see a civ game with a hexagonal map.
                  That being said i dont think that ctp2 is going to have that in this decade

Comment

And then there are people like me who have weak spatial or geometrical skills, and for whom hexagons would provide too many problems. I can hardly draw one!

Comment

Working...
                    X