[DESIGN] AI Ignoring huts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DESIGN] AI Ignoring huts

Ok i dont think its a good idea to get bogged down with AI problems, fixes etc etc this early on

But one little change would help the AI considerably

Currently the AI is oblivious to goodie huts and on contrast the player will generally send out a scout or two primarly to get goody huts.

This puts the player at a huge advantage, (extra cities, technology, units and cash etc) [and hopefully more like reveal surrounding terrain as the project deepens)

It would be nice if an AI unit (depending on wat it was and wat it was doing) would, if it came into the radius of a hut, reroute to collect the hut, then carry on with its previous task/route

Simple as it may sound, this small yet simple thing would undoubtably help the AI and the Player stay on level par, at least for longer.

(eventually maybe the AI could build scout class units primiarly to find goody huts (like players do), this would help considerably, however is not wat i am proposing in this thread as the project is not that far into development)

What do u think?

P.S. This should have been "[AI]" not "[DESIGN]"
    Oxygen should be considered a drug
    Tiberian Sun Retro
    My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
    http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Actually were you mentioned, we could change this to an absolute abstract model:

Everytime you (or the AI) moves a unit there is a chance of (example) 0.01% of an event. This will decrease even further with every turn.

So all complete: chance=0.01% / number of turns

And we could say a minmum level or a certain tech (or both) to assume all goody huts have been used.

running for cover

Comment

The AI currently doesn't ignore goody huts, just the ones that contain Barbarians
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Didn't know this one.........

But then on the other hand, when you go to an unexplored goody hut on the AI's territory, why you don't get barbs?

Comment

Just because a hut is in AI territory, doesn't necessarily mean the AI has found it yet. Plus, hut exploring isn't the highest priority for the AI.

Comment

So the AI knows anyway, which huts contain barbs is it the same for other players? Never bothered about checking I must admit (in other words)

I thought that the result of the goody hut is random (based on the initial randomness) ?

Comment

Originally posted by Gilgamensch
              I thought that the result of the goody hut is random (based on the initial randomness) ?
              Yes, the outcome of the goody hut is random but the outcome is determined at the start of the game and not when you open the goody hut. That's a difference between Civ2 and CTP1/2. In Civ2 you can save before you enter a goody hut and reload and reload until you got the outcome you like. In CTP2 you just can check whether you like the outcome or not this way. So if you get Barbs you can wait until you have got a huge stack of the most modern equiped units so that you can punish the Barbs for their present. Note you shouldn't do it with obsolete units, because the Barbs in the hut own the very modern equipment.

-Martin
              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

Yes, the outcome of the goody hut is random but the outcome is determined at the start of the game and not when you open the goody hut. That's a difference between Civ2 and CTP1/2. In Civ2 you can save before you enter a goody hut and reload and reload until you got the outcome you like. In CTP2 you just can check whether you like the outcome or not this way. So if you get Barbs you can wait until you have got a huge stack of the most modern equiped units so that you can punish the Barbs for their present. Note you shouldn't do it with obsolete units, because the Barbs in the hut own the very modern equipment.

-Martin
                But my question there:

Is it the same for every player? (the result of the goody hut)

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                  Just because a hut is in AI territory, doesn't necessarily mean the AI has found it yet. Plus, hut exploring isn't the highest priority for the AI.
                  Yes - if you see a hut in an explored part of the AI civs territory, its best to leave it well alone unless you have a few good units that can defend themselves - i hate loseing scouts this way!!
                  Last edited by child of Thor; June 16, 2004, 12:51.
                  'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Gilg,
                    To the best of my knowledge it is (but I didn't actually check the code for that).

Comment

Last time I found a goody hut the barbarians thought I was small fry and left my scout alone.

is this the right thread to pass some goody hut ideas around in.
                      "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
                      The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
                      Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Originally posted by Locutus
                        Gilg,
                        To the best of my knowledge it is (but I didn't actually check the code for that).
                        Would be interresting to know, not as an exploit, but as an discussion point to get rid of. Don't really like AI-cheating (same goes for the human).

And BigMc, I think it is the right thread (as I did already)

Comment

The AI not getting barbarians in goody huts is a cheat I do not mind.
                          ·Circuit·Boi·wannabe·
                          "Evil reptilian kitten-eater from another planet."
                          Call to Power 2 Source Code Project 2005.06.28 Apolyton Edition

Comment

Here a few new ideas I had for the modification to goodie huts.

Slaves / pop

You find a group of refuges suffering persecution at the hands of there government. And you get the chance to welcome them or enslave them

Resource pile

You find a pile of recourses which speed up production in your nerest city or is added to pw

Map
                            Old idea of gaining a map

Good
                            The old hide the good till you come and have a look-see

Heel
                            Villages great you solders with wine and food. Resulting in you man getting legless and destroying the village. Oh and getting heeled in the mean time.

Happy
                            Entering the village you find you trade a few pieces of mouldy food for some treasure ensuring the happiness of many in the nearest city.

Death
                            You unit is never seen or herd of again.

Apart from that what about if we get space up and running space goodie huts or underwater goody huts.
                            "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
                            The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
                            Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Originally posted by Gilgamensch
                              But my question there:

Is it the same for every player? (the result of the goody hut)
                              Well I would assume that it is the same for every civ, otherwise a hut should have a list for every civ with the outcome, and makes the object hut bigger, meaning it consumps more memory, and the list would need extension when a new civ is inserted. In the end it would mean some additional programming. In my opinion the additional effords aren't worth the gain. And then the AI wouldn't need to know whether a hut contains Babarians or not, for AIs huts would never contain Barbarians. And even if it would be differentz for each civ in that case I would expect some refference in the risk.txt.

Above I use the term civ and that is no accident. Whenever I play with the Barbarian I don't find anything in huts. - No reinforcement.

-Martin
                              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
                              X