Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question/Design: Map generation:

Hi all,

MrBaggins and me already had a brief discussion in here.

I justed wanted to restart this process as improving the map-creation might be a long task project.

Some of my ideas which I had, depending on the map-type.

(EDIT: Shall be the same for all types ?????)

three (?) possible ones:
    Earth: East-west connected
    Neptune: North-west connnected
    Donut: Real world.

EDIT OFF, meaning open for discussion

In all three there is no real pole. So My suggestion would be to take a random spot and declare it the pole (Xp,Yp) the anti-pole would be then (bit more complex):

MaxX=maximum x-axis value of the card
    MaxY=maximum y-axis value of the card

If Xp > (1+MaxX/2)
    Xa = Xp-(MaxX/2)
    If Xp < (MaxX/2)
    Xa = (MaxX/2)-Xp

Same for the Y-value.

Reason why I would suggest random: For surprise, so if you see you are somewhere at the bottom, would not mean you are near the pole

From there we could start to build the map a bit more logical.

But this logic would need to be determined. I know that MrBaggins wanted to have a look into it, but maybe some others already got some ideas. We were discussing the use of the 'rules' of biomes. So by the sound of it, we would need to start with the building of mountins first before continuing to lower terrain. Reason the mountins would 'qualify' the amount of humitidy and therefore the type of terrain.

MrBaggins and me thought, to simplify the process, to assume always wind from one direction (West to East) for those calculations. Or maybe we shall take the poles into account and us the line between them to say West to East from this line. This would be a bit like SMAC (if you remember it )

So if somebody is really working with biome-rules help is welcome

I hated that part of smac your enemies always seamed to be on the wrong side of the mountains.

There’s one small bug to your idea. The north pole is a big block of floating ice we would have to make a new kind of terrain that would "float on top of the sea ". this sounds good in till you find out we got to modify every unit in the game to prevent boats from going on the ice yet let submarines go under.
    "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
    The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
    Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

We could assume that both poles would be like Antartica and problem resolved

Comment

yes but that dos not make a life like game

Plus an artic pole would be good. an implementation nightmare but it would be good.
        "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
        The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
        Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

three (?) possible ones:
          Earth: East-west connected
          Neptune: North-west connnected
          Donut: Real world.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

For general map-generation, it might be good to have a look at what the Clash project is doing in that respect, several CtP2ers are involved in that as well: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=30811

Maybe the two projects could work together to create a single map-generator for both games, or otherwise we could at least borrow some ideas (and maybe even code)...
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora

AFAIR. It was about how you can move the units, but I think for the map-creation it doesn't relly matter, or?

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                /me thinks Gilg has been watching too much Simpons

Comment

Bah, crosspost. For map-generation I'm not sure what kind of a difference it would/could/should. make, but last time I checked our planet definitely wasn't doughnut-shaped

Comment

I never liked the expression doughnut-shaped anyway........

I was thinking of suggesting that for East/West and North/South connected the pole shall be only on the X or Y Axis, But than I thought, why, doesn't matter.........

Comment

Well, why not call it a doughnut? That *is* the shape that you get when all edges connect...

Comment

For mean it is still a golbe/ball/earth shape form, not really a doughnut.

Comment

But it's not... if you go from France to the north(ish) and keep going in the same direction, the order of places you encounter is not France > Benelux > Norway > Arctic > Antarctic > Australia, but rather it's France > Benelux > Norway > Arctic > Siberia > China > Indonesia > Australia.

Comment

Now you lost me

Comment

Well, on a doughnut map (or whatever you want to call it if you don't like that name) the former happens, while on a sphere (i.e. a real planet) the latter happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X