PROJECT: The Translation Center

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Martin,

I think I will have the time to translate the new strings and to post the changes this afternoon.

Tamerlin
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Here are the new translated strings :

Code:
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTFOOD_BUTTON		"Trier par Nourriture"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTGOLD_BUTTON		"Trier par Or"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTGOLD_BUTTON		"Trier par Or"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTSCI_BUTTON		"Trier par Science"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTSCI_BUTTON		"Trier par Science"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTPOLL_BUTTON		"Trier par Pollution"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTPOLL_BUTTON		"Trier par Pollution"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTCRIME_BUTTON		"Trier par Taux de Criminalité"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTCRIME_BUTTON		"Trier par Taux de Criminalité"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTCONV_BUTTON		"Trier par pertes d'Or dues à la Conversion"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTCONV_BUTTON		"Trier par pertes d'Or dues à la Conversion"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTFRAN_BUTTON		"Trier par pertes de Production dues aux Filiales"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTFRAN_BUTTON		"Trier par pertes de Production dues aux Filiales"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTWORKER_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre de Travailleurs"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTWORKER_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre de Travailleurs"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTSLAVE_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre d'Esclaves"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTSLAVE_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre d'Esclaves"
       STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTENTERTAINER_BUTTON	"Trier par nombre de Comédiens"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTENTERTAINER_BUTTON	"Trier par nombre de Comédiens"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTFARMER_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre de Fermiers"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTFARMER_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre de Fermiers"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTLABORER_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre d'Ouvriers"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTLABORER_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre d'Ouvriers"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTMERCHANT_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre de Marchands"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTMERCHANT_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre de Marchands"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTSCIENTIST_BUTTON	"Trier par nombre de Scientifiques"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTSCIENTIST_BUTTON		"Trier par nombre de Scientifiques"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTCOMBAT_UNITS_BUTTON	"Trier par nombre d'Unités Militaires"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTCOMBAT_UNITS_BUTTON	"Trier par nombre d'Unités Militaires"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_EXIT_BUTTON			"Fermer le Gestionnaire national"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_EXIT_BUTTON			"Fermer le Gestionnaire national"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTMAYOR_BUTTON		"Trier par statut du Maire"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTMAYOR_BUTTON		"Trier par statut du Maire"
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTPRIOR_BUTTON		"Trier par priorités données au Maire"
      TOOLTIP_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTPRIOR_BUTTON		"Trier par priorités données au Maire"
      Martin, you can note that I have put the same sentence whether it is a STATUSBAR or a TOOLTIP quote, I don't see the point of having two sentences for the same thing, I think that it can be confusing for a newbie.

By the way, isn't the following line missing at the beginning of the new strings:

Code:
      STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTFOOD_BUTTON		"Trier par Nourriture"
      "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

• Originally posted by Tamerlin
        Martin, you can note that I have put the same sentence whether it is a STATUSBAR or a TOOLTIP quote, I don't see the point of having two sentences for the same thing, I think that it can be confusing for a newbie.
        It doesn't confuse the newbe, Activision did it like that. The TOOLTIP is for a tooltip, a little window that contains a piece of text hand has just the size to display the text. This text should be as short as possible.

The STATUSBAR is for the statusbar the little bar under the civ control panel. The text here can be a little bit longer and a little bit more decriptive.

And by the way I want both. So you have to translate these two strings:

STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTCONV_BUTTON "Click here to sort by gold loss due conversion."
        STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTFRAN_BUTTON "Click here to sort by production loss due to franchising."

Well let's try if I can help you with my nonexsitence French skills by copying and pasting something.

STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTCONV_BUTTON "Cliquez ici pour trier la liste par pertes d'Or dues à la conversion"
        STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTFRAN_BUTTON "Cliquez ici pour trier la liste par pertes de production dues aux filiales."

By the way is there any need to capitalize conversion, production and filiales?

Originally posted by Tamerlin
        By the way, isn't the following line missing at the beginning of the new strings:
        I did not copy everything from that file into this thread.

-Martin
        Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
          It doesn't confuse the newbe, Activision did it like that. The TOOLTIP is for a tooltip, a little window that contains a piece of text hand has just the size to display the text. This text should be as short as possible.

The STATUSBAR is for the statusbar the little bar under the civ control panel. The text here can be a little bit longer and a little bit more decriptive.
          Thanks Martin, I know what the various strings are made for, I was only asking myself (and yourself by the way) if we needed a different sentence or if we could put the same sentence in both categories... especially when the original sentences in the tooltips are more cryptic than the sentences in the statusbars.

And by the way I want both. So you have to translate these two strings:

STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTCONV_BUTTON "Click here to sort by gold loss due conversion."
          STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTFRAN_BUTTON "Click here to sort by production loss due to franchising."
          They are already included into the text I sent yesterday.

Well let's try if I can help you with my nonexsitence French skills by copying and pasting something.

STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTCONV_BUTTON "Cliquez ici pour trier la liste par pertes d'Or dues à la conversion"
          STATUSBAR_CITYMAN_NATL_SUMM_SORTFRAN_BUTTON "Cliquez ici pour trier la liste par pertes de production dues aux filiales."

By the way is there any need to capitalize conversion, production and filiales?
          There is no need to do so, this is more a convention than anything else, I have worked for a company that was publishing translated "paper" RPGs and BoardGames and we used to write the gameterms with capitalized initials so that they can be clearly identified as gameterms, this can be less confusing at times and the reader knows he can refer to the entry explaining the gameterm.

I did not copy everything from that file into this thread.
          OK!

Comment

They are already included into the text I sent yesterday.
            No, you just included the short more cryptic versions. At least I didn't find the longer versions somewhere else.

There is no need to do so, this is more a convention than anything else, I have worked for a company that was publishing translated "paper" RPGs and BoardGames and we used to write the gameterms with capitalized initials so that they can be clearly identified as gameterms, this can be less confusing at times and the reader knows he can refer to the entry explaining the gameterm.
            If you apply the rhule on all strings in the game then I don't have a problem, but if you don't have time to do this then we should stick to the non-capital versions.

-Martin

Comment

• Hi Martin,

I have checked the string files in the original game and it seems that Activision did not apply the rule consistently. When the gameterm is used in a sentence as those you can find in the dip2_str.txt the first letter of the said gameterms is not capitalized.

But in the text of files like ldl_str.txt, the first letter is capitalized.

Do you want me to remove the capitalized letters?

Comment

Do you want me to remove the capitalized letters?
                What about adding everywhere these capitalized letters. At least ldl_str.txt is the biggest file of all, so maybe it is less work to do the other way around.

-Martin

Comment

• Here are some more strings without translation.

Code:
                  str_profile_ShowOrderUnion                      "Show All Army Orders" 
                  str_profile_RecentAtTop				"Put New Messages At Top"
                  str_profile_CityClick				"Select City Instead Of Army"
                  -Martin

Comment

• New translated strings files

I have had a closer look at the french ldl_str.txt file and it is difficult to find any consistency, it seems that the french team has worked in a hurry and has not really bothered about any rule as far as gameterms were concerned.

I have thus removed the capitalized letters in the previous strings (included in the text file).

About the first of the three new strings, I have a problem with the french text as it can be confusing for the french reader, here is a new translation that can replace the one given in the text file.

"Show all army orders" can be understood as :

1) "Show me all the orders that I can give to an army"

In this case the translation should be : "Montrer tous les ordres que peut recevoir une armée"

2) "Tell me all the orders that have been given to my armies"

In this case the translation should be : "Montrer tous les ordres donnés aux armées"
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Re: New translated strings files

About the first of the three new strings, I have a problem with the french text as it can be confusing for the french reader, here is a new translation that can replace the one given in the text file.

"Show all army orders" can be understood as :

1) "Show me all the orders that I can give to an army"

In this case the translation should be : "Montrer tous les ordres que peut recevoir une armée"

2) "Tell me all the orders that have been given to my armies"

In this case the translation should be : "Montrer tous les ordres donnés aux armées"
                      It is case one, but the problem with your proposed translation is that it must fit into the advanced options text box. Therefore I think it must be shorter.

-Martin

Comment

• 1) "Show me all the orders that I can give to an army"

"Afficher les ordres pour les armées"

Comment

• OK, I put the new strings into the text files. Tamerlin, do you have really to say something like: "Trier par nombre de Comédiens" in English this is at least what we have in the text file: "Sort by Entertainers" instead of "Sort by the number of entertainers". Is there really a need for the "nombre de" in the tooltip, I mean the full text is displayed in the status bar anyway.

And by the wa next time just post the new strings in the thread not in a seperate text file, for that I have to login if I want to download it.

And finally here is another string:

Code:
                          str_profile_DebugSlic                           "Slic Debug Messages"   (English)
                          str_profile_DebugSlic                           "Slic-Debug-Meldungen"  (German)
                          -Martin

Comment

• Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
                            OK, I put the new strings into the text files. Tamerlin, do you have really to say something like: "Trier par nombre de Comédiens" in English this is at least what we have in the text file: "Sort by Entertainers" instead of "Sort by the number of entertainers". Is there really a need for the "nombre de" in the tooltip, I mean the full text is displayed in the status bar anyway.
                            You are right, I don't have to present it this way but (there is of course a "but" ) this the way the strings are translated in the original french game. In order to be consistent with the French translation I have kept the same way of doing.

And by the way next time just post the new strings in the thread not in a seperate text file, for that I have to login if I want to download it.
                            OK!

Code:
                            str_profile_DebugSlic                           "Slic Debug Messages"   (English)
                            str_profile_DebugSlic                           "Slic-Debug-Meldungen"  (German)
                            str_profile_DebugSlic "Messages du débogueur de Slic"

Comment

• So E next time if you have something to translate you should post it here.

Anyway is this string to translate a little bit to short, isn't it?

REGARD_EVENT_UNITS_GIFTED "Your generosity has not been forgotten."

It just mentions my generosity, but this is very common, so generosity for what? At least you don't find this in the message.

-Martin

Comment

• It was a working spring to see that the units were gifted and the AI's regard was adjusted.

Before I had something to do with: We are honored to have the your volunteers fill our ranks. but I wanted to have some country names in there but it didn't work pasting the player.0 so I moved on to other code at the time. I just put this blurb so there wouldn't be crashes from the hard code.

Overall I think a lot of the strings should be fixed a bit. Some seem too cumbersome.
                                Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Working...
                                X