PROJECT: Scrap the crappy scenarios?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROJECT: Scrap the crappy scenarios?

Just a thought... Martin went to the trouble of debugging some of the Magnificent Samurai scenario.

It always struck me that these scenarios were pretty useless...

Hex's LotR scenario, however... owned, relatively speaking.

I was thinking, that maybe we should consider including that and maybe just a couple more really well designed scenarios rather than the Activision ones, which were, no offense... pretty rushed.

Well? Am I alone in this feeling?

I dont see any reason to increase patch size further but I definately think the LOTR scenario should be made so it can work only as a scenario patch and not require Cradle mod installed though, i think thats maybe put some people off because its a confusing process to get this scenario going.

As to the original scenarios i wouldnt scrap them but improve them like with the Activision ww2 one.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Baggins
      Just a thought... Martin went to the trouble of debugging some of the Magnificent Samurai scenario.
      I didn't notice. Actually I played this scenario some time ago. It has a nice atmosphere, and demonstarte what you can do with slic, actual this scenario has nothing to to with a turn based startegy, maybe accept that it is turn based too. But in fact it is rather a little advanture game. So all what I did was to make a change where I noticed long ago a change should be made.

Originally posted by Maquiladora
      I dont see any reason to increase patch size further but I definately think the LOTR scenario should be made so it can work only as a scenario patch and not require Cradle mod installed though, i think thats maybe put some people off because its a confusing process to get this scenario going.
      That would be hexagonian's part to do so. And our part is to make sure that scenarios actually work.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Yes, i dont think any of the scenarios should be removed, only improved and new ones added

A really nice, world map with correct starting locations and many civs etc would go down nicely
        Oxygen should be considered a drug
        Tiberian Sun Retro
        My Mod for Tiberian Sun Webmaster of
        http://www.tiberiumsun.com

Comment

Originally posted by SMIFFGIG
          A really nice, world map with correct starting locations and many civs etc would go down nicely.
          So do you volunteer SMIFFGIG?

-Martin

Comment

i thought there was already one out there?

However gimme some parameters and ill add stuff to the map etc ?

I wish i could do programming, i would mod Ctp2 over Tiberian Sun (which i currently do) any day
            Tiberian Sun Retro

Comment

Yes there is already a map included, but if you don't like it use Omni's world map as a base for your map and do everything how do you like it.

-Martin

Comment

I think he was already referring to Omni's map (the default map is utter tripe and I can't imagine anyone actually uses it). But IIRC the versions of Omni's map either only support up to 8 random civs, or have a fixed list of 27 civs.

It would be nice to be able to play with anywhere from 3 to 32 (or 31 or 28 or however many are supported) random civs on Omni's map and to also be able to have the choice between all 40ish civs (or 60ish when I'm playing with my own custom civ.str file), so you can have different civs and a different number of opponents every time. Ideally it should also be possible to pick against which opponents you want to play, like is already possible with MP/Hotseat games (but only up to 8 players).

The current scenario setup does not support all this, though I fear it might prove to be a pain in the @ss to fix...
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

thats a good point
                  many of the mplay options should be standard singleplay options too
                  Tiberian Sun Retro

Comment

The game currently can handle 32 players including the Barbarians so one civ for you and 30 AI players are left. So download the lastest source files build the *.exe and you should be able to play scens with more then 8 civs.

To be able to select your oponents is actual also just an interface option and some alterations to the profile.txt is needed as we want to keep the selection, and something on the gameinit.cpp is needed to do the job that's actual all.

-Martin

Comment

Well it looks like I cannot reload games with more then 28 or 29 civs, but at least the new colors work.

-Martin

Comment

Activision ww2 one.
                        that’s the one with the bug so both Germany and France can conquer England

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
                        To be able to select your oponents is actual also just an interface option and some alterations to the profile.txt is needed as we want to keep the selection, and something on the gameinit.cpp is needed to do the job that's actual all.
                        -Martin
                        I managed to sawing that know with the Activision release. I moded it so only 8 civs appeared in the file
                        "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
                        The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
                        Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Mc
                          that’s the one with the bug so both Germany and France can conquer England
                          We should implement those mod functions for combat, and then we can modify attack/def values so that planes are more effective near a friendly city, to simulate the advantage the Brits had during the Battle of Britain.

Comment

'LOTR' is Cradle-dependent because of the sprites/tga/sound files - all the txtfiles/SLIC files have their own (LOTR_) designation. My site didn't have the room for a full version of LOTR and a full version of Cradle.

I've been planning on merging both into a single download, but I'm wondering if there is still interest

And I'm still wondering if anyone has actually played 'LOTR'...
                            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                            ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
                              And I'm still wondering if anyone has actually played 'LOTR'...
                              Cough..... sorry - not yet Hex, i havent actually played a full game of ctp2 for quite a while, i guess there are too many Mods to try out and as i have a good selection already and everything works fine, i'm worried about messing up my already confusing array of files.........

As for the scenarios, ha! - i haven't even played one of them yet, i think i prefer the open ended nature of the game itself, so they never interested me much.......is that bad?
                              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Working...
                              X