DESIGN: New CTP2 Game Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DESIGN: New CTP2 Game Manual

Ok i've been looking over the current one and obviously its fairly redundant because of the changes that have been made to the game so far.

This project is one of the later parts i guess that will be done, but i got a few ideas for a bit of feed back and discussion.

I guess the first thing i should add is dont worry - any work i will do toward the final draft will be spell checked

One of the main problems that CTP2(and 1?) had was complaints from people who had played Civ(1/2) and the common cry was 'but why does it do this? in Civ i could do that!' etc.. many people were shocked to find that this wasn't actually just a prettier version of Civ2.

So what i'm thinking is maybe we could have a step-by-step tutorial section that aims to lead a complete novice by the hand through the game's various sections. As there is no real in game tutorial(not detailed anyway) we could atleast help with any Civ(1/2/3) players confusion.

I've been revisiting 'Star Wars Supremacy'(UK titlte) recently, its that old strategy starwars game that got a bad press due to its fairly inept AI(sound familular).
    Well it had one good point - a decent in manual tutorial that made this otherwise very confusing game, a bit easier to understand.

So this is my first main thought to adding something new, that hopefully will help new players get to grips quicker with the game - and maybe explain somewhere that although CTP2 looks like Civ - its actually quite a different beast?
    Last edited by child of Thor; November 17, 2003, 09:46.
    'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Last edited????????? Already starting with the spell checker?

But, for certain things you are completly right. It took me quit some time to get used to NOT assign workers

But, a tutorial: We would need to have also a 'scenario' or similar to run with it.........not sure if this is possible..........

Comment

Re: DESIGN: New CTP2 Game Manual

Originally posted by child of Thor

So what i'm thinking is maybe we could have a step-by-step tutorial section that aims to lead a complete novice by the hand through the game's various sections. As there is no real in game tutorial(not detailed anyway) we could atleast help with any Civ(1/2/3) players confusion.

Good idea,

IIRC CTP1 had a pretty good tutorial, but there were some parts missing that left the player searching for answers, Such as PW, terraforming, etc.

Disclaimer: This has been forever ago and I'm just going by memory, so I make no guaruntees about how accurate my info is

Comment

Originally posted by Gilgamensch
        edity edit ............
        But, a tutorial: We would need to have also a 'scenario' or similar to run with it.........not sure if this is possible..........
        Well the Starwars game i mentioned did it with out any specific in game scenario, you just played a normal game and it went through various things(build lists/unit movements/combat etc) - i think we could do it in CTP2 as well, just to teach how best to use the UI etc?

Then once the details of the final release are known you would go into specific details and values for all the games content.
        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Actually, we may even want two tutorials. One for the novices, and another for Civ 2/3 people. Let's face it, those who played Civ 3, don't need to be introduced to the concept of cities, city improvements, research, etc. That tutorial should concentrate on the differences between classic Civ and CTP, such as PW, unconventional warfare, combat system, etc.
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Yep i like that idea - we can have a chapter specificaly for Civ players - 'So you've played a lot of Civ?'

It would concentrate more on the differences between the two titles and explain why/how CTP2 does such and such.......alot of the fundamentals are more or less the same, just executed in a different way in CTP2.

Thanks guys

Comment

Since most of the SLICers are also C++ing, I'm happy to try SLICing any additions to the tutorial that need doing and can get done before Christmas.
              Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
              "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

........before xmas?

im not going to get into the meat of the game documentation untill i see how the new game works.......so i gota wait for everyone to finish their compiling and for the release(atleast imminent) of the main code once we've all agreed apon what it will include(as in bug fixes and additions). Then we will need much playtesting to see how its going and from that i hope to get the main additions for the new game manual..............so unless we are ready to play test the debugged code this week - you got plenty of time IW
                (and i hope i have too )

EDIT: Thanks for giving me a dead line pressure feeling But if you want to SLIC then please go ahead dont mind me

Xmas is only 38days away
                Last edited by child of Thor; November 17, 2003, 14:41.

Comment

... or after May if that'd be easier

Ah ok. I was thinking you could start on a replacement manual any time, since the existing one is fairly useless. I imagine the first few releases won't have any significant changes, and I don't think any 'standard' releases should have changes that require major manual rewrites.
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

yes your right about starting now(which i am in a very loose sense), but i was looking down the final furlong for the main bit of work - and you just cut 6months(?) into 38days, it was alarming

Comment

There is also a CTP2 tutorial, it is fully sliced, unfortunatly it is not quite finished. So I prefer a slic tutorial version that can describe all the little features or all the different features of CTP2 in comparision to Civ2/3. One thing I miss is a button on the new game screen that allows me to enable the tutorial and also to select the tutorial level: Beginner and Civ2/3 player.

-Martin
                      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

It probably doesn't need a fully fledged tutorial, but some notes for players of CTP1 would be good too.

Comment

Well any in game tutorials i'll place outside my responsibility for now. I'm thinking of what format an online manual should be in? Just as a word document(small size quick to download) or maybe go for a nicer looking PDF type thing(once i've learnt how to do that ), but much bigger download?

Comment

Go with PDF, they are easy to make, simply consists of choosing "Save File as"

Comment

At the risk of sounding like a geek, I'll suggest you consider (La)TeX - then you can easily make versions in pdf, ps, HTML or even plain text.

Comment

Working...
                              X