GENERAL: Support for Activision.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GENERAL: Support for Activision.

Now we need to show Activision that this release of the source code was not a mistake. The best way is to make new users buy the game.
    So I propose that the moderator's post a sticky with information about where to buy the game. And possibly other ways to support Activision in their effort.
    Last edited by cue; November 7, 2003, 05:42.

cue

i can see your new here if people are coming to apolyton they probably go to www.apolyton.net\ctp2 first where there is a large section labelling where you can get ctp2 from

and that’s all the support activsion are getting of me

ps nice to see all the new faces round here
    "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
    The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
    Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Well, I topping the thread seems to be overdoing it, but I do seem to be getting a lot of questions on where to buy the game, so this thread is definitely a good idea.

For starters, I'd like to correct your Amazon link. Not that yours is so bad, but by using the following one, you not only get a copy of CtP2, but you're also supporting Apolyton by using it as a reference:

And there's of course always that other Apolyton sponsor, Chips&Bits ($18.95):

There's a really cheap Dutch site where you can buy the game as well, but I'm not sure what countries they ship to (they only mention the Netherlands and Belgium explicitly, but mention they can ship to other countries as well, on request). I'm willing to help with translation/ordering if needed (€4.99, but minimum order cost is €9.50, so you'll have to order 2 copies or some other 2nd product ):

A German guy asked me where he could buy the game, I gave him 2 links:
      http://www.alphamusic.de/7257591.html (cheap (€7.80), but currently not in stock)

http://www.buecher.de/verteiler.asp?...te=artikel.asp (more expensive (€12.95), but in stock)

Another American site:
      http://shop.store.yahoo.com/gamesvor...ltopower2.html ($13.20)

But the cheapest place is no doubt still the bargain bin of your local software store...
      Last edited by Locutus; November 6, 2003, 13:59.
      Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

While its kind of important for a new CtP2'er to get a copy of the game to use with any new work thats provided, I think that pretty minor in terms of "support" for Activision.

$7-$10 for CtP2 from a 3rd party means that Activision see's pretty much nothing from that. At least if even 10,000 copies are sold. Hell.. even if its 5 times times that number.

The best way to show your appretiation in my mind would be to

a) buy an appropriate full price Activision game, especially from their web store... they don't have a lot of great titles, but they certainly have some... Tony Hawk is just worthwhile (if not essential) if you have a console for example.

b) write a note to say that their decision to release this code has weighed on your decision to "buy Activision". Simple kudos can have a really nice effect.

Comment

I am getting two new copies of CtP2 late this month (thanks to Locutus ). Also, I am buying Doom 3 when it comes out... that's my support for Activision .
          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

i am not buying anything till i get my walker
            "Every time I learn something new it pushes some old stuff out of my brain" Homer Jay Simpson
            The BIG MC making ctp2 a much unsafer place.
            Visit the big mc’s website

Comment

Originally posted by MrBaggins
              While its kind of important for a new CtP2'er to get a copy of the game to use with any new work thats provided, I think that pretty minor in terms of "support" for Activision.

$7-$10 for CtP2 from a 3rd party means that Activision see's pretty much nothing from that. At least if even 10,000 copies are sold. Hell.. even if its 5 times times that number.
              You are absolutely right, buying the game will not be a big financial boost for Activision.
              But if sales and demand grows, they will regard this as a good move (releasing the source code) and hopefully, this will be a more common thing.

P.s has any game publisher released the sources to any commercially successful game or program anytime in history of computer programming before?

p.p.s for behalf of all the newcomers, thank you "The Big Mc". If you show us patience and goodwill, I'm sure we'll repay with support and respect

Comment

Originally posted by cue
                P.s has any game publisher released the sources to any commercially successful game or program anytime in history of computer programming before?
                The source for Doom, Wolfenstein, and Descent have all been released. I think Quake (1) was released as well, but I never downloaded that one, so I can't verify that.

Pyaray

Comment

Originally posted by The Big Mc
                  i am not buying anything till i get my walker
                  As in zimmer frame? or war walker?
                  Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                  CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                  One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

if you're going to use links to amazon and chips&bits in support to apolyton, you might as well do it right

amazon

Chips&Bits

Amazon UK

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Originally posted by Pyaray

The source for Doom, Wolfenstein, and Descent have all been released. I think Quake (1) was released as well, but I never downloaded that one, so I can't verify that.

Pyaray
                      quake 2 has been released under GPL as well.
                      you gotta love ID software

Comment

Working...
                      X