Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TileEdit: first beta release is here

New release of TileEdit.

TileEdit is the successor of TileView, capable not only of viewing the contents of .til files, but also of creating and editing them.

Features:
    • View all elements of a .til-file.
    • Save individual graphical elements as TGA's.
    • Edit all elements of a .til file. (replacing graphics, changing properties, etc.)
    • Export a tile file to a script file and a set of images.
    • Import a script to an existing tile-file or to a new file.
    • Combine TileFiles.
    • Save .til files both in-game and normal graphic versions.
    • Add new elements to a .til-file.

I would appreciate if you would download TileEdit from My ctp site, test it, and report any bugs to me on mtd@mbv.dk

Furthermore there is one unresolved issue with regard to the .til-files: A number of blocks placed at the end of the file (for now named 'LastBlock'). We have not yet found the meaning of these blocks, so any description on what happens when editing these would likewise be appreciated.

This program has been developed in cooperation with Martin Ghümann. and with the help of the Apolyton community.

Revision history:
    • V.1.1.0.31 Date 09-05-2005
    • Fixed random crash after changing 3-5 TileImprovements.
    • Enter now closes element-property dialog.

V.1.1.0.30 Date 17-03-2005
    • Fixed cut-out-border issue, for script import, where borders were not cut out of the tile.
    • Updated Script file format (current version is now 1.1)

V.1.1.0.29 Date 26-12-2004
    • Fixed cut-out-border issue, where borders would appear on all four sides, if one border was needed.
    • Fixed minor typo (hint text)

V.1.1.0.28 Date 31-05-2004
    • Options page windows size bug fixed.
    • The colors used when importing tga-files can now be saved to the ini-file, and default colors can be set on the Options meue.
    • Helpfile has been updated.

V.1.1.0.27 Date 18-10-2003
    • LastBlock renamed to VariationRule, as I, with a lot of help from Mc, finally figured out what it was.
    • Changed the TextEdit format of the Variation Rule property page.
    • Added Graphical display for the Variation Rule.
    • Updated the Help-file to reflect our new understanding of the Variation Rule.

V.1.0.0.26 Date 03-10-2003
    • Added automatic cutout of borders for tiles.
    • Added register .til-file with TileEdit.
    • Added a scrollable list of the apropriate resource to the Add/Edit Dialog.
    • Added Reset .ini-file. (and optimized the .ini-file usage).
    • ZoomFactor is now saved to the ini-file.
    • Background and Shadow colors are now saved to the ini-file.
    • Fixed a few bugs on the options page.
    • Fixed iport of Tiles in InGame-Color-Mode, so the colors displayd are now correctly.
    • Fixed a size bug for the Add/Edit and Options Dialogs, I saved and loaded the sizes and not only the possitions to/from the ini-file.

V.1.0.0.25 Date 04-12-02
    • Added jpeg as option for Save Image.
    • Added image border size on the options page.
    • Fixed not saving file if extention was not all lowercase.
    • Fixed a menu-color bug, with custom windows menue colors.

V.1.0.0.24 Date 13-11-02
    • Added append option so it is now possible to append a whole tile-file or a script.

V.1.0.0.23 Date 11-11-02
    • Fixed disapearing cutout values

V.1.0.0.22 Date 02-05-02
    • Final relese. (at least I hope so)
    • Fixed dubble assignment to shortcut. Change color mode is now Ctrl + C

For more info se the readme.txt and help-file included in the download.

Martin the Dane
    Last edited by Martin the Dane; May 9, 2005, 11:39.
    Visit my CTP-page and get TileEdit and a few other CTP related programs.
    Download and test SpriteEdit development build.

Yippee

Thanks unending once more to Martin and Martin

Can I just check for sure that tga images can or could in later releases be loaded into the program as separate tile images, so it is possible to edit them outside TileEdit? This would be very useful, as it would negate the need for tileEdit to be a paint program also, and allow much more flexible adaptions.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Can I just check for sure that tga images can or could in later releases be loaded into the program as separate tile images, so it is possible to edit them outside TileEdit?
      Well that's the only way to change the graphics in as TileEdit does not contain a paint program. (and never will)
      Just save your images as uncompressed RGB tga's (16, 24, or 32 bit). the standard size for Tiles and borders are 94x72 pixel, for Rivers and TileImprovements it's variable, with the same origen as the Tile graphics (upper, left).

Please keep the questions and suggestions comming. I'll include any instructions given here in future versions of readme.txt and take all sugestions into account in deciding what to include in uppcomming releases. (I won't prommis to incorporate them though)

Martin the Dane

Comment

Good. I thought that would be the case, but you only mentioned importing the script, not the tgas.
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Hi,

I've just completed the script-import and fixed a few bugs, so it is now possible to generate an entire TileFile by creating a script and the necessary graphics and them import the whole thing into TileEdit, and then save it as .til files.
          There is a little note about the colors, and script import: Do not use white ($00FFFFFF) as shadow color, it will cause the graphics for some Tile Improvements not to be loaded. This only occurs when importing scripts, when importing the same graphics file into an existing TileFile it works fine, I have tried to find out why, but so far I have not been able to locate the bug. If you find similar problems using other colors, please let me know.

Martin has reported a bug that I have not been able to recreate:
          If you are switching between the single and the 3x3 square mode at first I see a green area with tile outline. I have to switch off/on Show Tiles to restore the display. That is true if I am using Zoom 1x and Zoom 2x for higher zooms the problem doesn't occur.
          If you experience this bug I'll also be glad to hear from you, with as much detail as possible.

I'm afraid the program is still as bug infested as the Australian outback, but hopefully not as bad as the average Microsoft product.

I hope to hear about any problems you might experience, so we can get the final release out soon.

Download the new version of TileEdit from My ctp site, test it, and report any bugs here or directly to me on mtd@mbv.dk

The full list of features is now:
          • View all elements of a .til-file.
          • Save individual graphical elements as TGA's.
          • Import TGA's into individual graphical elements. (16,24 and 32 bit RBG)
          • Edit all elements of a .til file. (replacing graphics, changing properties, etc.)
          • Export a tile file to a script file and a set of images.
          • Import as script-file generating a new tile file.
          • Save .til files both in-game and normal graphic versions.
          • Add new elements to a .til-file.

Martin the Dane

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Here's an update to TileEdit.

So what's new?
            • Speeded up Script Import.
            • Fixed wrong dialog title, file type etc.
            • Fixed a few places where loading invalid files would cause crashes. (There might still be some)
            • Added error messages for loading invalid images.
            • Save Image now saves 3x3 view if selected.
            • Added import-log-file.
            • Added Import-Error-Message-Dialog.

Get the new version from my ctp-site, or download the patch (0.3.0.13-0.3.0.14 only).

Btw. does anyone use this program?
            If so what do you think of it?
            Any commens will be appreciated.

Martin the Dane

Comment

Is it possible to make the "open" window come up somewhere other than My Documents? Its a long way through the directory structure to the tiles...

Anyway, thats my only (and minor) complaint, the rest works brilliantly. Thankyou again

Ben

Comment

Hmmmmmm...... good point, should have done something about that ages ago, but I'm using a little util that gives me two nice little buttons the bar, on for the last ten files, and one for the last ten dirs, so I tend to forget that inconvenience.

I'll add a .ini file with paths to the last folders accesed for the variouse open and save dialogs. (Would default dirs be better?)

Martin the Dane

Comment

I'll add a .ini file with paths to the last folders accesed for the variouse open and save dialogs. (Would default dirs be better?)
                  Why not the possibility to use the last folder or the default CTP2 or the default CTP1 *.til file folder. Three possibilites of course the use must tell the program how is his default CTP1/2 folder called.

But I found a new bug: As I wanted to add or edit a tile I wasn't able to edit or add the TilesetIndix for the tile. I found in that dialog box a line Tile ID and next a edit box and under that line a line Tile Index but not a edit box next to it.

If you are switching between the single and the 3x3 square mode at first I see a green area with tile outline. I have to switch off/on Show Tiles to restore the display. That is true if I am using Zoom 1x and Zoom 2x for higher zooms the problem doesn't occur.
                  Now this bugs occurs more seldom. Now only in zoom one and as I did the same thing with a CTP1 *.til file I wasn't able to detect it. By the way I use green as system color, maybe a connection.

I tried to edit the tile rhules a little bit so far it looks that many of the graphics in the CTP2 *.til file are not used. For example what does the submarine cannyon in it it looks like unfinished stuff. For now the terrain looks slightly different.

-Martin
                  Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

But I found a new bug: As I wanted to add or edit a tile I wasn't able to edit or add the TilesetIndix for the tile. I found in that dialog box a line Tile ID and next a edit box and under that line a line Tile Index but not a edit box next to it.
                    Oops! I must have been I just forgot to display the edit box. It's fixed now.

Why not the possibility to use the last folder or the default CTP2 or the default CTP1 *.til file folder. Three possibilites of course the use must tell the program how is his default CTP1/2 folder called.
                    Well now you can choose wether you want TileEdit to use the same dir each time you start it or use the last one. Actually there are up to eight dirs that can be set.
                    Furthermore you can chose allways to use the default directories, or only at startup.

As usual you can download the newest version of TileEdit from my CTP-site (No patch this time as it was almost as big as the full zip)

Martin the Dane

Comment

Well seems like I was a bit quick to release build 15 as there were a few slips, and a bug.

First I forgot to include the Load TGA menu in the directory options system.
                      Secondly I forgot to add dbl-click ability to all the edit boxes on the Options page, except the first.
                      And finally attempting to set the default directory for Tile-Images through the Select Directory Dialog would set the Tile-Directory.

Build 16 should fix all the above. And this time there is a patch

As usual you can download the newest version of TileEdit from my CTP-site

Martin the Dane

Comment

Martin,
                        You are a God. I've been wanting this and thought it would never happen. Can't wait to try it out!

Comment

I have replaced all the swamp tiles with my own graphics: I changed tiles TILE029 - TILE02BB. Then I tried to import the script with the tile graphics in a folder with the same name, in the right place. Whenever I try to load the script however, I get the "this program has crashed" or whatever the message is... So here are the details of it:

Code:
                          TILEEDIT caused an invalid page fault in
                          module TILEEDIT.EXE at 0167:004051e5.
                          Registers:
                          EAX=00406cb0 CS=0167 EIP=004051e5 EFLGS=00010283
                          EBX=00406cb0 SS=016f ESP=005ffe74 EBP=006003fc
                          ECX=00000001 DS=016f ESI=006003f8 FS=7407
                          EDX=006003f8 ES=016f EDI=006004fc GS=0000
                          Bytes at CS:EIP:
                          68 00 04 00 00 8d 44 24 04 50 8b 43 04 50 8b 03 
                          Stack dump:
                          Any help?
                          Thanks

Comment

This script stuff has caused me a lot of trouble but I believed I had it nailed down. (Yea I'm an optimist )

Hi IW,

Try using different transparent and shadow colors. If this solves the problem, let me know which colors caused problems, and which did not.
                            While testing I have always been able to solve the crashes that way, but never to recreate them.

I have added two extra levels of logging for the script import. They are a bit slower than the standard logging, but should work even if TileEdit crashes.
                            I have not bee able to recreate the crash you have, so if you could try using build 17 and see if you can nail down the error. That would help a lot in locating the problem.
                            If the last line in the log-file is as '.. successfully loaded ... ' then the error is somewhat connected to the next entry in the .src-file.
                            I would then be interested in both your .src file and any graphics files that causes problems.

If everything else fails, just zip-up the whole script and graphics, and tell me where to download it, and I'll see what I can do.

If you are using build 16 you can use the patch

In the mean time I'll try finding the place(s) where my error checks fail.

You are a God
                            Well I always play on deity but apart from that I'm a mere mortal

As usual you can download the newest version of TileEdit from my CTP-site

Martin the Dane

Comment

I got that error that reported Immortal Wombat before Build17 and afterwards in the very fast and very slow scrip importing method.

The odd thing is that sometimes the script is loaded successfully, and then I try it again I get the same error. And that was a scrript created by tile edit no modification or anything, just the a *.til file saved to a script and a bunch of images. OK that was aallredy modified file. I think I will post the *.til including a new terrain (TilesetIndex 27) in this or next week. By the way you should look on the text when a script is i(m)ported (small typo).

But another question has someone tryed to implement new border tiles of course directly without the script? As I tried it everything looks fine in tile edit but as I saved the *.til file and reloaded into tile edit or into the game I got some odd results. The border tiles looks completly different as I implemented them. But the edit border function works correct, if I replace a border graphic tile view saves it as I made it into the *.til file.

A small whish for Tile ID, Border ID, River ID and TI ID: It should be also possible that these values can be displayed in hexadecimal and decimal numbers (that makes live easier). I would suggest to split the last number of Tile ID into two in Decimal Mode.

And I saw another odd thing for the display in 3x3 square mode. If a neighbour tile is a beach tile something else instead of a beach tile is shown is shown. But the second odd thing is that this is only true for Activisions tile rhules not for the ones that I added with tile edit.

-Martin
                              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
                              X