Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you make an advance dependant on both a prerequisite and a government?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you make an advance dependant on both a prerequisite and a government?

Hi there,

Up until now, I mainly play AOMII because of the World at War problem that exists in AOMIII...

As you all know, in AOMIII, upon discovery of Democracy, Communism or Fascism, there is first of all a tech spillage, and the world falls apart into the major WWII factions which then begin to wage war on the other blocks. Each of these factions also get a whole lot of units, from Spitfires to Tiger Tanks.

It seems unescapable that - for instance - the discovery of Democracy happens in a point in the game, when you are still fighting with musketman and canons. Then, overnight, you suddenly get these WWII units. Also, you will, later in the game, have to discover biplanes, riflemen etcetera. In other words, the World at War event corrupts the research timeline, and this kind of ruins the gameplay in this point in the game.

I therefore think, that it would be better that you both have to have the necessary gov ánd a prerequisite advance, so you get these units later in the game, at a more appropriate and logical time in the tech tree.
    Can this be done, and if so, in what files do I have to look? I only have looked in the Great Library files so far, so please be patient with me.

I also thought about adding renaissance govs like Absolutism and Enlightened Despotism, so the modern govs come later in the game. This would also mean that the medieval govs don´t last so long, and since those limit the number of cities you can have, this intermediate renaissance period would give your empire growth a boost in a point in the game where it would be really welcome. Unfortunately, I lack the skills to do this, so my initial idea (having to have both a prereq tech and a gov to get access to the WWII units) is what I am aiming for.
    Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer...

Tellius
    Last edited by Tellius; June 30, 2011, 12:40. Reason: Better explaining my endgoal
    Only tyrants need worry about tyrant-killers

In the default version of the game you can make units government specific. This means they can only be build if you are in their government, and they are destroyed when you leave their government. In the source code version, you can also use a flag instead that makes the unit unbuildable if you are in the wrong government, but does not destroy those units, when you leave your current government.

But I guess you are rather behind something else, it seems that modifying the tech tree is a better idea to solve the problem. For the governments you have to modify govern.txt, for the units Units.txt and for the techs it is Advance.txt.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Working...
    X