Long time no see

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long time no see

Some of the old timers will remember me from years ago. When i had the time and will to try several (not very successful) mod attempts back in the SLIC times.

Looking for some hobby, I checked out some games to play in startegy just to find ou that i am still not fit for the frenzy clicking of RTS games. Therefore my eyes are in the turn-based again. And when when it comes to turn-based, CTP will never be forgotten in my memory.

I came here to give CTPII another try but I have got to tell you finding a mod is not that easy for the newcomer (even one that participated in the process years ago). I have already gone through the ages of Medmod, Craddle, Goodmod and the initial days of Age od Man. And now, I feel lost.

That is why i ask you all who is active at the moment? how is everybody? which one the best mod these days? And how should i play CTP now?

- Thanks all
    "Kill a man and you are a murder.
    Kill thousands and you are a conquer.
    Kill all and you are a God!"
    -Jean Rostand

Re: Long time no see

Hi Pedrunn, welcome back

That is why i ask you all who is active at the moment? how is everybody? which one the best mod these days? And how should i play CTP now?
    Sadly there is not many (if any) active now in the CtP2 forums. I always come to read new posts here (like this one), but I've stopped playing and modifying the game for now, although I always have it installed with the Apolyton Edition (see below), and I'm sure I'll play or modify it again when I feel the itch.

The Apolyton Edition is a patch for the original CtP2 (Activision patched or unpatched) and a product of the source code project. Like the forums, the project is almost dead too, although Martin has still been updating the AE, and some of us still test it. You should check out the latest release, you might be surprised. The latest AE version is here, and the latest reporting thread (to report bugs etc.) is here.

The last mod to be released for the original CtP2 was Ages of Man IV, the final update to AoM. You can find all the download links here.

And Hex recently released an update for Cradle for people to test, that thread is here.
    Last edited by Martin Gühmann; November 8, 2008, 19:31.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Re: Long time no see

Originally posted by Pedrunn
      which one the best mod these days?
      The best is testing the Apolyton Edition, it has a better AI, upgrade options, and HotSeat and PBEM human-to-human diplomacy.

Maq already posted the links, I just modified the direct link to the Apolyton Edition so that it counts in our download section. IT already has 577 since I added it to the Apolyton download section.

And by the way, don't forget to leave some feedback in our playtest thread.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Re: Re: Long time no see

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann

Maq already posted the links, I just modified the direct link to the Apolyton Edition so that it counts in our download section. IT already has 577 since I added it to the Apolyton download section.
        Thanks Martin, I put that link into my signature too.

That's quite a lot of downloads, and I guess a lot downloaded from other links too.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Long time no see

Originally posted by Maquiladora
          That's quite a lot of downloads, and I guess a lot downloaded from other links too.
          Yeah, in this respect wikipedia is a gold mine. In fact most of it comes from the English CTP2 article, some from the German CTP1/2 article, a few from Apolyton CTP2 source code page, and also some from the Apolyton download section.

-Martin
          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

As you all can see my answer is coming lately. Currently, I don't have the time I once had to play PC games. But I have never really stopped. I am playing some games from times to times but these are usually shorter games. 4X games are the most interesting (IMO at least), but they are the longer to play.

I am thus following the CtP2 source code project but I can't participate as much as I would like to as well as I can't play CtP2 as much as I would like to.
            "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin

I am thus following the CtP2 source code project but I can't participate as much as I would like to as well as I can't play CtP2 as much as I would like to.
              You should try it out when you can, the AI has improved a lot, especially in forming big armies and moving/attacking. The new upgrade feature is pretty nice too. Martin really did an excellent job with the latest release

It got me back into playing/modding again. I've been fixing up the AE mod, which I'll post some time this week hopefully.

Comment

Last time I played I made a bug report. I said before I'll never quit Ctp2 but I've failed, I've been gaming less and stopped play Ctp2. I'll be back my next break, though; I've always came back.

Comment

Great to see some of old timers back again.Still have kept my CTP2 dics.I refuse to put them aside for good.Never know if I will get that feeling of wanting to play one more game. I have played the older versions of the Apolyton Edition and found that much has been improved.Looking forward to giving this new version a try.AI is better at moving its units and attacking -worth looking into.Have a 4 day weekend coming so will have time to get into a long game.
                  Been away playing Supreme Ruler 2020.Not a bad game but its AI still needs work which is going on now.

Comment

If you're giving the latest Apolyton Edition a try, I suggest using these rules:

- Upgrade units ON
                    - AI free upgrades ON

The AI can upgrade it's units, but it seems they spend a lot of gold on rush buying too, so they don't upgrade all the time at the moment.

I'd also suggest waiting for me to finish fixing the AE mod. The upgrade feature didn't work with it so I fixed that.

I also took Pedrunn's advice and sped up science quite a lot, so it doesn't take forever to get to Monarchy. 100 turns of Tyranny is quite boring, and this should make the game go beyond the modern age more often - sea cities!

But it will take me a couple of days to test it fully through one game properly.

Comment

Working...
                    X