This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

awesome

let me know if i can be of help. (I am still working on AoM units with Civ3 graphics, AoM just has a lot of them.)
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Sorry E,
      I did not realise you had posted again.

If you are in the mood to do a few new unit sprites that would be really helpful, or if you have them.

Civil War era Rifleman.
      WW1 biplane fighter (Sopwith Camel/Fokker triplane or similar).
      Modern Mechanised Infantry (similar to civ 3 type).

I spent all last night working out the new techs for AOM III (Filling out the modern era just a little).

Anyway, also wanted to wish everyone a merry xmas and thank you for suporting AOM.

Comment

No problem on the sprites, but I guess you need them Ctp2 sized if I take them from civ3, right?

Also if I can throw 2 cents in on the modern era. I was thinking of having a more Cold War feeling where you have to jostle around with espionage and corporations.

1) For spies I was toying with slicing and have a feature where if you fortify a spy in tile not owned by you then it would create a few barb guerrillas (and remove the spy) kind of like how AtG scenario had barbs from barb leader but creates a feature where a player can spawn a barbarian revolt (at the cost of the spy and maybe gold)

2) For corporations I was already added "sneak pillage" to the playtest so a corporation can pillage enemy tiles without starting a war, to represent corporate meddling. Also I was thinking of slic something similar to your good-colony stuff but have it wherecorporations can "seize" foreign goods but disbanding on a good, creating a corporate building, and sending that good to the corp owner's nearest city.

3) other modern era stuff is that I was going to add more with guerrillas and special forces and terrorists. the playtest has ranged attack and i already coded sneakbombard where you can bomb an enemy without declaring war so it adds a touch of the terrorist threat to the game.

4) Other suggestions is that maybe city expansion should be limited only to the modern era, it will speed up the game but also make citysprawl tiles have a defense bonus like forts to make city fights tougher.

just my annoying two cents. I'll get on the three sprites tonight/tomorrow!

EDIT: 5) also I've seen you have some experience messing with the LDL files and I have been playing with the diplomacy LDL so that the window is a lot larger and so that I can stick a larger leader picture in there, so its more like Civ3/Civ4. If this is something your interested in working on let me know.
        Last edited by Ekmek; December 22, 2005, 16:51.

Comment

I think theres a WW1 era sprite knocking around, its used in the World at War Dales mod, like a green bi-plane or something, it doesnt have animations though if you wanted those. I dont have the link to the sprite database at hand to show you at the moment.

Looking forward to those modern era updates anyway Stan, its far and away my favourite period of the game.

And Excellent ideas E.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

Maq, as you know I have produced a 500 AD start and a shorter by 20% game.

Hex is going to give me some ideas to balance a smaller (map size) game as the AOM changes become unbalanced on smaller maps. So there will be a shorter version that also has smaller maps. But I was also going to reduce the gap between map sizes for all AOM starts. So you either play big maps or smaller maps.

E.

Thanks for the sprites, yest standard ctp2 size please.

I like 1) and 2) of your ideas. Have you coded them yet? Be very interested in seing the code.

I am reserved about 3) because terrorist attacks are not nation vs nation events. As such they should really be random events.

Re 4), I prefer to play as it is, those city expansion tiles are very useful in grassland/plains areas. They add a little urban sprawl and renewal to the game. I would rather make them a starting option than change it. BTW, cannot have defence bonuses for these tiles or any tiles except fortification types because it buggers up the supply code. Any tile imp with a defence bonus heals in one turn.

Comment

Originally posted by stankarp

I like 1) and 2) of your ideas. Have you coded them yet? Be very interested in seing the code.
              I'll get a draft out to you along with the sprites, I'm a little shakey on Slic

I am reserved about 3) because terrorist attacks are not nation vs nation events. As such they should really be random events.
              I guess I can always mod it in but i like the random events stuff too (especially if you add some news footage in a video, kind of like in the modern days you get news reports... very cool)

Re 4), I prefer to play as it is, those city expansion tiles are very useful in grassland/plains areas. They add a little urban sprawl and renewal to the game. I would rather make them a starting option than change it. BTW, cannot have defence bonuses for these tiles or any tiles except fortification types because it buggers up the supply code. Any tile imp with a defence bonus heals in one turn.
              True, but if thats the case once AoM is compatible with the playtest we can add a new flag so it doesnt mess up the code, like HealsUnit (and then let slic can handle it) or Urban to exclude it.

Also if you are familiar with mounted and woodship unit bonuses in the code recently I add a bunch of new flags for defense and attack bonuses versus: foot, mechanized, wheeled, helicopter, siege, guerrilla, etc (I still need to post it to the source code however but it does work) so these are additional modifiers you can use once AoM is compatible with the code.

Comment

I think villages should have some healing and defense once a player enters the modern age, too.

In the past, cities and castles could hold down the enemy, so forts popped up and attracted battles, but urban spraw and city fighting changed that. Could it also be possible that cities have less defense in modern?
                Last edited by HuangShang; December 22, 2005, 23:05.

Comment

Stan,

attached are the sprites for the union (civil war) infantry and the mechanized infantry. I took them from civfanantics. The cw inf is pretty much like firaxis but someone redid it to be union infantry (the name its under in the forums). The other is a M113 APC also from civfanatics, its under forum M113. Hope the help.

PS... for cities I'm inclined to have defense bonus for foot units and a negative for non-foot. But also instead of citysprawl I was thinking it would be cooler to have commerce improvements grow into city tiles after a period of time (I think civ4 has something similar). I guess it wouldnt betoo tough to do via slic. the slums or dead city squares would be tougher though.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Thanks.

Just got them.

Have coded new advances, heroes, wonders, wonder units, normal units for the modern update.

Have to write special code for Red Cross Aid Workers, Imperial Envoys and UN Peace Keepers.

Then into slic in a big way :-)

Comment

Sweet on Peacekeepers, I was thinking of putting some in but make them treated as civilian, ofcourse in the playtest I can add a Peacekeeper flag and give units that attck them a disadvantage.

Awesome stuff look forward to it though. Have you identified what needs to be done to make it compatible to the playtest (I'm sure its messing with text files) I can help with some of the cut paste work...

Comment

I am going to go all out to have AOM III coded by mid January.

Then look at the play test issues.

Compatibility with the playtest is one of my top priorities.

I was going to revamp Pedrun's city expansion tiles in so far as later tiles produce more production and commerce, less food. But also collect pw or gold.

I don't intend to change the supply situation for tile improvements at this stage. Until I get familiar with the playtest.

Comment

Happy new year..
                          I'm having a problem with this game...
                          I have the xplosiv version of Call to power 2 (Some cheap version that I found this year) And AOM won't recognize the disc and says that it isn't there?!

Any help and/or suggestions would be appreciated
                          When it all comes to it, life is nothing more than saltfish - Salka Valka

Comment

This is a known error and is covered in the AOMII readme.

If when trying to launch AOM you get a “can’t find ctp2 disc error”, the following should fix it.
                            a) go into your ctp2 disc by right clicking in My Computer and use explore.
                            b) In folder ctp-program/ctp is a file, texture.dat. Copy then
                            c) Paste that file into the same location in your AOM folder to replace the one that came on the AOM disc or download.

Comment

Thanks alot mate...
                              When it all comes to it, life is nothing more than saltfish - Salka Valka

Comment

Unstable?

This software is so unstable. I'd like to play it. But, on a brand new install, it crashes every 2 or 3 turns - simply disappears with no message. After 20 turns or so, it corrupted itself and/or the base CTP2 install, so now it hangs on a dark screen trying to start it.

I don't get all the praise being ladled out here. I've played tens of thousands of turns on CTP2; it's crashed about half a dozen times on me. I've played 20 turns of AOMII; it's crashed the same number of times.

I thought for a while that this mod was actually a virus; I guess not; but it seems to be remarkably unstable.

Last edited by thomonymous; January 4, 2006, 11:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X