Skrobism's overdue AOM trial game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skrobism's overdue AOM trial game

This is where I will review the AOM mod as promised. I have been trying to get used to the CTP2 game. It is very different than Civ2 or Civ3. Not better or worse - different.

I just loaded the AOM mod and have noticed that the Polish are missing. Not a good way to start.

I'll keep you posted. With saves, details, and reviews.
    Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

I played several more turns than this but the game laptop crashed hard...

I think the best way to review will be to give a play by play account with [editorials in braces like this].

------------------------------------------------
    Setings:
    very hard / raiders - default
    Small map - default
    Doughnut shaped - default
    all other rules and settings default

Carthage

3000 BC
    Took the options offered: quick start, surrender 5:1

Carthage Founded
    Nomads move out

Festivities offered and held
    [This was a bit confusing and I almost restarted. I chose to check my score and the game called me a tyrant and said that I'd pay for it through history. I finally gave up on finding the Fest option and it appeared. I took it. PARTY!]

2980 BC
    [maybe having the tutorial on was a mistake. It popped up and told me that it's 5000 BC but the menu thingy below says 2980 BC.]

Nomads move out

2960 BC
    We meet the Germans

Utica founded
    [Hey I can't rename cities!]
    Cartenna founded
    [Clicking around, I double clicked Utica and now I have spearmen. Did I rush build somehow?]

2940 BC
    More unit moves
    Mercenaries join us.

2920 BC

2900 BC

Lepti Parva founded

2880 BC
    [PC crashed! BSOD!!!! Never happens in XP. - will need to replay several turns. Maybe this explains the odd behavior of my laptop the past week.]
    Attached Files
    Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Game so far.

[ I found the diplo screens. Maybe the crash was a good thing. This will give me a chance to redo those talks that didn't go so well. ]
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm not sure why there are crashes...

Are you autosaving?

I did have a crash on a recent game, but I seem to recall that I had reloaded a turn from autosave, played a few turns and then had the crash. I then went back to a regular saved turn, replayed from that turn instead, and had no problems after that.

So I'm now in the habit of saving every 10-20 turns.

Do you have the latest update too? It may be possible that I may have missed a file (but I burned the CD from my own setup - and other than that single crash, I haven't had any problems). I'd recommend getting it though.

If you get the update, you will have to start a new game.

Update is available from Apolyton. Link up at the top right corner of the Forums.
        Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
        ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

I am not reloading from auto-save. Although the auto-save feature might be on.

I did notice that Activision does not support laptops. But I thought that was related to display problems.

I could try the 1.1 updated version.

Man the blue screens are frustrating.

Is there someone else that you'd prefer that I send the game to. Should I return it to you? I was looking forward to reviewing this for you.

Comment

Just curious...Do you have a desktop computer you could use?

I'm not sure about the laptop issue, as I run all my games off of a desktop PC (and using XP) . But I have heard of issues with laptops (and even with XP) in the past. I'm no expert on what to do.

Double-check the autosave issue. It is a feature in the options menu. Click it off and go back to an earlier save.

I'd also give 1.1 a last-ditch try - I just want to make sure that the CD I sent you wasn't the problem (though this is doubtful, as you were able to start a game). Downloading 1.1 (s/b approx 7-8 MB) would correct any error that would be related to a CD issue, if that was the issue in the first place.

I'll see if I can open your file too - it'll be either later tonight or early tomorrow.

You could just send the game back to me if it does not work out.
            Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner

Comment

Another question...

Are you crashing to desktop, or is the game appearing to freeze up?

If it is appearing to freeze up, the game is not crashing, but it is processing a goody hut (either an advance or mercenary unit, and it occurs both for the player and the AI) This is something that will take the computer time to process, depending on how powerful a system you have. Eventually the game will finish processing and move forward.

This cannot be fixed, but as goody huts are cleared off the map, the 'freeze' occurs with less frequency.

Comment

I'm blue screening, a full system crash. I have very rarely seen this on an Win-XP machine.

I will see what I can do this weekend, otherwise I will return it to you.

Comment

My bad - I thought the game was causing the crashes.

Good luck on resolving the issue though.

Comment

This only occurs when the game is running. I don't know if it's AOM or CTP2. I am really sorry this did not work out. Send me your address and I will send back the CDs; or send me an address to fwd the game on to.

theidiots a-t- yahoo d-o-t- c-o-m-

Comment

Sorry I have been working on the Invasion code so I missed this thread.

Can't explain the crashes but it could be related to resolution you selected for the game. I have had some reports on XP on higher res (greater than 1024X 768).

The festivities option always comes up when you click on your capital, it is something I tried several times to overcome (attach it to a new button) but could not , it is related to the source code. The festivities option is in a message box that has to actions, so I find that you have to click no twice or click no once and then do the score check and that closes the window.

Comment

Working...
                      X