Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Missile mod

Hi folks

I have had this idea for some time now and it just wont go away so i better make something of it

There are 2 units in the game that behaves very strange in my opinion: cruise missiles and nukes.

As i see it they should not be able to launch themselves and even less be able to make a middle landing in a friendly city. In my opninon they should be ammo not vessels.

What i suggest is this:
    Missiles should not be able to land once they are launched, they eighter blow up something or run out of fuel (ie self destruct).

This simple rule would do the trick, logistics would be involved in deploying nukes and the game would be much improved in terms of realism.

One thing would be missing though, a means of transporting missiles over land. The solution is simply to make a new landunit called "mobile icbm" or something to that effect.

Its one of these im thinking about:

If someone out there can make some graphics for me of such a unit then i can make the rest myself.

what do you think?
    any thoughts would be welcome.

-klaus

The missiles can already be transported by bombers and, as far as I remember but I am not sure at all, by Cargo Helicopters and some boats. Is it really necessary to add a specific unit? I don't think so though I agree with you, when a missile is launched (which means moving while not being transported) it should not be able to land.

But there is also another think to consider, CtP2 is a grand strategy game and many concepts should be abstracted. IMO, this is the reason why the missiles can move and land. So why not create two specific orders move/relocate and launch. The first order would allow the player to move the missile at a reduced speed since the missile is moved by a land vehicle and the second would allow the player to launch the missile without any possibility to land once the order has been given. Of course, you should still be able to load your missiles on a Bomber or on a Carrier.

But the greatest problem, as usual, is that you will have to teach the AI civs how to use the brand new unit or to teach them how to proceed with the two new orders. Knowing that the AI civs already have big problems with the basic orders in the original game, you can guess this will be a difficult process.
    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Tamerlin
      The missiles can already be transported by bombers and, as far as I remember but I am not sure at all, by Cargo Helicopters and some boats. Is it really necessary to add a specific unit? I don't think so though I agree with you, when a missile is launched (which means moving while not being transported) it should not be able to land.
      There is currently 4 units that are able to carry missiles:

Aircraft carrier
      Nuclear submarine
      Bomber
      Stealth bomber

So there is transports/launchers for both sea and air, but nothing for land.

But there is also another think to consider, CtP2 is a grand strategy game and many concepts should be abstracted. IMO, this is the reason why the missiles can move and land. So why not create two specific orders move/relocate and launch. The first order would allow the player to move the missile at a reduced speed since the missile is moved by a land vehicle and the second would allow the player to launch the missile without any possibility to land once the order has been given. Of course, you should still be able to load your missiles on a Bomber or on a Carrier.

But the greatest problem, as usual, is that you will have to teach the AI civs how to use the brand new unit or to teach them how to proceed with the two new orders. Knowing that the AI civs already have big problems with the basic orders in the original game, you can guess this will be a difficult process.
      Well the reasoning for those two questions are very tightly connected if you think abut it.
      If a missile is ammo until it is launched it will be easyer to make the AI use it correctly. But if a missile sometimes travel faster than other times and get an extra order and such there is much more to teach the AI.
      Units that transport missiles already exist and the AI knows how to load and unload units from transports already. It doesnt do any of those thing very well at the moment, but it is within its capabilities.
      The rest i will have to take care of

Comment

Originally posted by kaan
        Well the reasoning for those two questions are very tightly connected if you think abut it.
        If a missile is ammo until it is launched it will be easyer to make the AI use it correctly. But if a missile sometimes travel faster than other times and get an extra order and such there is much more to teach the AI.
        Units that transport missiles already exist and the AI knows how to load and unload units from transports already. It doesnt do any of those thing very well at the moment, but it is within its capabilities.
        The rest i will have to take care of
        Wy not allowing the Mobile SAM to transport nuclear missiles?
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
        X