Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Strategies and units. Your experiences and opinions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategies and units. Your experiences and opinions.

Well, I know that many of those infos are scattered in the forum, but I would like you all to share your opinions and experiences about game strategies and units in just one thread.

I explain it better.

In my playing experience I never used Paratroopers or Fascists, never built combat-ships before the Destroyer become available, never built airplanes but the stealth ones, never used missiles and nuclear bombs, seldom if ever used marines, rarely started a real war before having the tanks... I mean, there are many units that could be deleted from the game, for what I care.

At the opposite, I usually defend my cities with a minimum garrison of 3 artilleries, 2 or 3 infantries, 1 stealth bomber, a spy, and a submarine unit in the coastal cities. Even when I am successfull to build the Agency wonder, I always keep a spy in any city, to make it virtually impossible to be "attacked" by enemy (and also allied) spies.

If I conquer a whole Island, I surround it with Destroyers and Submarines, to create a impenetrable sea-barrier.

My offensive armies are always made of 12 units to bombard the city before the 12 tanks attack it. I use stealth bombers to get rid of the small enemy squads scattered along the territory. Infantry units (beside the Hover Infantry) never enter enemy territory because they have too few movement points for my tastes. Very rarely, I use other offensive combinations.

I usually raze the conquered city (thank you Apolyton for adding such feature, I love you for that :-D), unless the AI founded it properly distant from the other cities.

Diplomatically I am quite peaceful (that's why I am using Gandhi as avatar, although I am not THAT peaceful :-D); I always force other civilizations to have a Peace Treaty with me, attacking them one by one as retaliation when they send too many spies to my cities. More often I defend my territory from enemy units rather than attacking their cities, except when I become a Ecotopia and I start "turning into parks" the most polluting cities: I like to keep the global warming under control :-P.

My favorite victory condition is the Gaia Controller, because it requires a good balance between diplomacy and war: I expand enough to cover at least 40% of the map and I use my Diplomats to sign alliances with the others, in order to obtain the permission to build the Gaia Obelisks in their territories.

The Blood-Lust victory is too easy to obtain, in my opinion, since I am usually the most advanced civilization in the game, even at the higher level of difficulty. There is no match in destroying enemies when they defend with infantrymen from my tanks. I can obtain the diplomatic victory quite easily as well, by destroying the most warlike enemies and forcing the others into an alliance.

Sometimes I play only for the score, so I check the Blood-Lust on, I build the Gaia controller to play for a while without worrying about the pollution and then I start destroying the remaining civilizations.

To end this thread, I say that usually I prefer 60x120 maps, 70%-80% ocean, minimum resources, average continents-island and warm-humidity balancement, 12-16 civilizations (it's a mess in the beginning :-D) and I more often use the Iroquois or Indian civilization.

What about you?
    The destination doesn't matter. What's important is the journey.
Working...
X