Foolishly aggressive AI?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foolishly aggressive AI?

In the game that I am currently playing (using apolyton mod 0.2) one of my smaller neighbors whom I had been courting as an ally, up and decided to declare war on me. We had just about every treaty with each other; alliance, defense pact, research pact, trade pact (but no pollution agreement), but one day after the Vikings (who had also been my friends for some time) decided to kill my televangelist (instead of ignoring or expelling?) and go to war with me, the Chinese started walking a single marine towards one of my border-cities. Since we were BFFs, I thought nothing of it until that solitary marine attacked my city and after overpowering my two valiant archers (maybe I should defend my cities better...) captured it. I promptly squashed this marine flat with a stack of tanks, but still...WTF?!!

Why would my dear friend and ally all of a sudden decide to go and declare war on me? It wasn't even a Machiavellian backstabbing either, it was (in the long term) completely suicidal; I was the #1 power, and they were 2nd from the bottom. Now militarily, they were actually ahead by a bit (since they actually garrisoned their cities and whatnot...), but that still doesn't excuse their reprehensible behavior. The leader personality was listed as "Shrewd International Trader". Which brings me to another issue:

The Indians, whose leader is listed as "Evil Genius" for some reason have decided every now and then to land a small military force in my territory. Not actually do anything with it (usually) but just camp out there. Demands to "gtfo of meh territory b4 i destroyz yer ass" were agreed to vehemently with words, but not with deeds. To get rid of them, I was eventually forced to declare war, handily slaughtering their meager forces and then asking for a ceasefire. 10 turns later, their transports nonchalantly sail over to my shores and unload yet another military force. Sigh...

My main policy has been to fortify my own troops nearby theirs and then simply ignore them until they get bored and declare war on me. All attempts to establish an embassy with them have resulted in my diplomat being gunned down upon landing.

So...in summary:
    -Why would a country randomly decide to attack their beloved ally?
    -Why would a country decide to go and sit troops in my territory without even declaring war or anything?
    -Has the AI never heard of "expelling"?

Originally posted by Hans Lemurson View Post

-Why would a country randomly decide to attack their beloved ally?
    To keep you from winning? Who knows. What was their regard and trust toward you at the time?

-Why would a country decide to go and sit troops in my territory without even declaring war or anything?
    I suspect they were building up an army on your coast to then attack. Obviously their planning was a little off.

-Has the AI never heard of "expelling"?
    In CtP1 your units would get expelled immediately to your closest city if you agreed not to trespass, I think we need something like this.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

The Chinese were at full-smiley-face at me and trusted me. We were also at war with a common foe (the vikings), if that means anything.

Does the AI ever expel stealth-units it finds in its territory?
      Also, on expelling, I seem to have a memory of expelling a settler from the location I wanted to settle...which was outside my borders. Should expulsion only work in your own borders?

Comment

The Chinese were at full-smiley-face at me and trusted me. We were also at war with a common foe (the vikings), if that means anything.
        Not sure what their motivation was in this case then. Regard and trust is easy to lose in the AE Mod v0.2 though.

Does the AI ever expel stealth-units it finds in its territory?
        I've not seen it, that's why you often see slavers or clerics with half hitpoints, where they've been bombarded instead. Something to look at.

Also, on expelling, I seem to have a memory of expelling a settler from the location I wanted to settle...which was outside my borders. Should expulsion only work in your own borders?
        I'm not sure how it should work. I have no problem with expelling civilians from neutral territory though. If you have military in unclaimed land and they don't, well it's their fault.
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Does having stealth-units in your opponent's territory cause the "yer troopz is makingz us sad" issue like regular military units? Should they be affected by a treaty that ejected all units from your opponent's territory? Would it be possible to have a "right of passage" treaty that let civs walk through each other's territory without diplomatic penalty?

Comment

Does having stealth-units in your opponent's territory cause the "yer troopz is makingz us sad" issue like regular military units?
            I have always thought so, but I can't confirm it right now.

Should they be affected by a treaty that ejected all units from your opponent's territory?
            They were in CtP1. But IIRC you could still wander back in with those stealth units without breaking the agreement.

Would it be possible to have a "right of passage" treaty that let civs walk through each other's territory without diplomatic penalty?
            Anything is possible, if someone is willing to do the work

Comment

Given how movement works in CtP2, I think a "right of passage" treaty would probably not be a good idea.

Maybe it would be nice if combat units could expel other combat units in their territory (provided of course that they completely outnumber their target). But, like everything, easier said than done, and fraught with unforeseen consequences.

Comment

Working...
              X