Can't Install :(

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't Install :(

Found my old CtP2 CD and I tried to install it, but nothing happened. The CD drive made some clunky noises, but nothing came up on the screen at all. So, I put the CD into a friend's computer that runs Windows '98 and it worked fine.

I have an Acer laptop which runs WindowsXP Pro.

Any ideas?
    Last edited by Mausolos; January 5, 2009, 07:00.

Did you try running setup on the CD in Win98 compatibility mode? Right-click setup.exe > compatibility tab > run in Win98 mode.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Maybe, it is just that the CD autoplay option is disabled. So starting the setup.exe from the CD should help in that case.

-Martin
      Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

How do I get to SETUP.EXE? Opening or Exploring the CD results in a blank screen and searching the CD for it yields no results.

Comment

Originally posted by Mausolos View Post
          How do I get to SETUP.EXE? Opening or Exploring the CD results in a blank screen and searching the CD for it yields no results.
          It's in the root directory of the CD. To find it open the windows explorer and go to your CD drive. If the files are hidden go to the Extras menu of the windows explorer and open folder option. (Note that I use a German windows version so the names maybe different in an English windows.) There go to view and enable the options concerning hidden files. And enabling the display of file extensions doesn't harm either.

-Martin

Comment

Nope, I get nothing, according to my computer there are no files to be found . On the advice of a computer-fixit guy who's a customer at work I tried re-surfacing the CD. That didn't work either.

Normally, when you put a CD into a computer you get the whirring sound as the CD speeds up. I'm not getting that, when I put my CTP2 CD into my computer it goes beep-clunk-beep-clunk, and, if My Computer is open, it stops responding.

I can play other CDs on my drive, and I took my CTP2 disc to my father's place and stuck it in his 10 year old computer, and it worked fine.
            Last edited by Mausolos; January 16, 2009, 03:46.

Comment

To sum it up, it is not the CD at least it isn't broken, but it is rather a problem with the CD drive, it cannot read the CD for some reasons, but it can read other CDs. And I assume that it is not only a DC drive but also DVD drive. So it should be able to read DVDs, too. One possibility is that it starts breaking, but then why can you read other CDs without problems?

Now I have no idea, you could update the drivers of your drive (something people come up if they have no idea ).

-Martin

Comment

Check the cd if it is dirty like some fat spots because I normally get this on old cds and stuff and sometimes the cd can't be read

Just wash it with soap and water and then let it dry.

Comment

I had this problem too.So I loaded the game from the DVD drive instead of the CD-ROM drive and it worked fine.No problems with the game so far.I wonder if its all the online updates to Windows XP has changed something.

Comment

@ goatfather: I had the CD resurfaced. It didn't help.

@ Protra3211: Unfortunately, I have a laptop, so I've only got a combined CD/DVD-ROM drive

Comment

Well since we know it works with anthour computer we can say it's not the cd. I had this problem before and the cd drive went pwiew.

Try this. Go back to your friends computer where it worked. Copy the cd onto anthour cd and try it. Since you own the orignal cd you are allowed to make back up copies and this is what you are doing. Try this and hope it works.

Just by chance, when the cd is in, start up windows media player. can you play the music at least? If not for some reason your computer is not reconising the cd.

Comment

Otherwise you may want to reinstall CD\DVD drivers.
                        The destination doesn't matter. What's important is the journey.

Comment

Working...
                        X