Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• before I buy, whcih version?

I have linux, my wife uses MAC.
    Before I buy a windows copy of the game, sO that I can legally play with this source.. are there linux or OSX versions of the original CTP2? If not then I suppose there are ports done or being worked on by peopel in this community? (If not then maybe that will be how I help, or to improve some of the documentation, cause It has been a pain to find what I want on here) Does it really matter which one I buy?

thanks all
    James
    Fiction is based on life, life mirrors art, the winners write the history,... oops I erased my save

For CTP2 there is just the Windows version. Work was done for a Linux port, but so far the code just compiles and runs with a lot of missing features.

-Martin
    Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Probably WINE can run the Windows version on *nix, I think Darwin OSX can handle it.

Comment

ok so my next question is... is there some link through Apolyton that I can buy CTP2 through? That way there is some sponsor support for it.
        Fiction is based on life, life mirrors art, the winners write the history,... oops I erased my save

Comment

Well you can try the link there: http://apolyton.net/ctp2/ But it is a pretty old link, so I don't know whether you still get it at ships&bits. Well you can try ebay.

-Martin
          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

yeah I tried that one before, but I could not find any copies there. No other sponsors I guess?
            thanks just the same
            I'll get it from where ever

Comment

try amazon they hada few there before or Stankarp

Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

If everything else fails, there's still another site
                The modding knowledgebase: CTP2 Bureau (with CTP2 AE Modding Wiki). Modern Times Mod (work in progress): MoT-Mod for CTP2.

Comment

Hehehe. Love those tut2 comments BB.

Comment

thanks for those sites, I'm bidding on ebay now. I did not know about your bureau site. Already dl'd AOM3. And yeah those tut2 comments are great!

So once I get the legal copy, and I pull down the source code. What do I need? I know there is the source code project. Which I suspect has many changes since the original release. I also see the Apolyton edition and the Ages of Man edition. Do these include the changes to the source code? Are they stricktly mods that I run on top of the source code projects changes? Is AE the updated source code project? Does AOM3 run on top of AE?

thanks again all

James

Comment

also, in the cvs repository, what are the differences between the trunk, linux, and linux-merge, versions?

what I'll wind up doing is putting DarWine on an OSX laptop, unless I can just do a striaght Xcode/gcc build of one of the versions.

I'm waiting for my bid to win on ebay, so maybe in a week I can attempt my first build

Comment

tut2 comments
                        The bureau is pleased to please it's users

What do I need? I know there is the source code project.
                        First you need to download and install the latest "official playtest pack" from the beginning of the playtest thread (2005-10-23 playtest version). To test the latest build you need to copy the files from E's signature (currently revision 625) over the existing playtest files. Yes, many things have been fixed/improved, but basically it's the same game as the original (without modifications) -- with the same logic of gameplay, the same tech tree, buildings, units, wonders etc.

Apolyton edition and the Ages of Man ... Is AE the updated source code project? Does AOM3 run on top of AE?
                        "CTP2 Apolyton Edition" is/will be the name for the final product of the Source Code Project (because we are not entitled to just call it CTP3 ). Apolyton Pack is a mod for the original game which fixed a lot of things that do no longer need to be fixed with the Apolyton Edition -- I think most of the fixes/improvements of the Apolyton Pack (including city styles and goods from Martin Gühmann's GoodMod) have been integrated into the Apolyton Edition.

Most of the mods are supposed to work with the Apolyton Edtion, but this hasn't been heavily tested yet. IMHO all mods, specially AoM due to its huge amount of SLIC, need to be adapted to some extent in order to work properly with the A(polyton)E(dition).

With one exception so far: E's Civ3-Mod has been developed specifically for the AE, and it can be installed and played as a scenario (which is one of the AE's great improvements regarding mods).
                        The modding knowledgebase: CTP2 Bureau (with CTP2 AE Modding Wiki). Modern Times Mod (work in progress): MoT-Mod for CTP2.

Comment

ok, so i'm dl'ing the revision 627, and read the CTP2AE readme, which says it hasn't been updated for like a year now.. so is it still true that DirectX SDK is required? I recall reading in the orig readme that there was issue with the sound,... do I have to do anything about that? How about a new update on the readme that include the specifics for variations in download, install, and building? Like the Activision patch... it seems that is no longer neccessary with the latest revisions, yes? Don't need to original code now either I take it? Though I suspect I will need to have a cd of the original game in the drive while playing, or is that only to start the game, or is it no longer neccesary, other than to just have legally purchased?
                          I've been reading around the forums, and also browsing the code. Once I get into playing it, I'll also want to get into monkeying with it. I was looking at the orig code, and rev 422, (whcih by the way, is the latest on the files section of apolyton, maybe someone make a note there to say to get it now from darkdust site?) And I haev to say that the code looks a mess. There is a lot of empty space in many of the files. makes it a little more difficult to follow. But looking at 627, I can see some fixes that I noticed wrong in 422, so that's kewl.
                          I do not have a windows machine at all, nor of course VisualStudio, I'm running on Xcode/gcc... so what is this about needing .Net and some dll's? So there is still issue with building in linux? Is there no one other than me that is using OSX? My linux box is broken now, so...
                          And, a crash course on reading the crash.txt output.... it obviously is giving some memroy address, followed by function names... what are the @ symbols representing? and what does crash.txt hold, when does it start recording?
                          and, my god there so much that had been done on this over the years, it'll take me awhile to get up to speed. you know I never even heard of this game until a few weeks ago. My psx freezes when saving Civ2 on big world in the 1940's, so I can't beat it. Needed to find an alternative. FreeCiv is kewl but not enough. I've been wanting to implement ideas for an improved civ game for years. This looks awesome.

Comment

Working...
                          X