A deadly early strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A deadly early strategy

Fortune favors the bold. Especially at the top levels. If the board is crowded, this is a great strategy.

Rather than waiting to get ballistics and slave labor to attack, since a settler (even ignoring pop costs is as expensive as 4 warriors), attack with warriors.
    Three warriors can take early cities pretty easily, often they can retreat so the others can finish the AIs warrior off.

The only drawbak of this is if the board is uncrowded, your next opponent may be far away. If this is true, you may want to maximize the number of slaves you get. Get slave labor, do slave raids, then get ballistics. Use warrior/archer/slaver attacks to pick off troops one slave at a time. This is also a good idea once you have about 4 cities(to keep you from exceeding tyrany's city limit by more than a few cities.)

Re: A deadly early strategy

Originally posted by realpolitic
    Three warriors can take early cities pretty easily, often they can retreat so the others can finish the AIs warrior off.
    What mod are you using?

It would be surprising if this is Super Apolyton Pack, although its been a long time since i played that mod.

If youre talking about the unmodded AI, well, we can all do many odd things with that
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I found that the first playtest 2004 04 03 in the CtP2 download file section was better at early defense.
      Some say that not much work was done on the AI at that point. But the AI to me would quickly expand (many cities) and put up a border defense that blocked quick attacks.
      The AI never seems able to take you out of the game .
      But if the AI was able to out score or keep you held in with good border defence the AI could out last you.
      Like a chess match sometimes a strong defense can overturn quick attacks.

Comment

I find warriors/hoplites plus archers are a deadly combination for any computer oppenent. Start off with 2 a piece, then make each conquered city add to the army. My only problem is I can't get to Monarchy quick enough!
        Athlon XP 2600+, 1Gb RAM, GeForce FX 5500 (256Mb), 2*80Gb HDD+ 120Gb HDD, Win XP Home SP-2, DirectX 9.0c, Forceware 81.94.

Comment

I find 11 Hover Tanks & an Archer a deadly combination

Comment

Maq, I was playing the world map as Germany. Nesseled in the Black forest with Berlin on the river, I got a fast start. I take over Europe in tyrany.

Comment

Well in this case it doesnt depend what mod you use, attacking in the first 50 turns seems to catch the AI totally unprepared, even in the best mods.
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Working...
              X