MP - Game locks up in startup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MP - Game locks up in startup

When trying to play in MP the game locks up when we'r just in the game and the message "Waiting for players" is showing.

The game locks up on the computer that is hosting, we both tryed to host (me on W2K and him on XP

We have both downloaded the serverlist.

We have allso downloaded the file as explained here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...34#post3669234

And put the winets2.dll in it's place

Stil no change, so we tryed (from readme

For playing the game, you only need the following 3 files from this package:

ctp2_program\ctp2\anet2.dll
    ctp2_program\ctp2\dll\net\wudplan.dll
    ctp2_program\ctp2\dll\net\winets2.dll
    And put those files in theyr respective places and stil no change...

Help plz?

PS.
    Another firend of mine's CTP2 tree looks like this:

C:\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\ctp2_program\ctp2

And this is from a clean install from the 2004.03.05.CTP2.Playtest.rar I allso got a clean install from that file but it under ctp2_program\ctp\ I only got the folders 'dll' and 'save'

Anye idea?

Cheers

Re: MP - Game locks up in startup

C:\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\ctp2_program\ctp2
    It looks like you have unpacked the playtest.rar file in the wrong directory. You should unpack it in the C:\Call To Power 2 directory, not in C:\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp.
    Moreover, your playtest version is more than a year old.

When you have gotten as far as the "Waiting for players" screen (after you both were able to see and join the game), the servers.dat and communication DLLs should be fine.

Comment

Re: Re: MP - Game locks up in startup

Originally posted by Fromafar

Moreover, your playtest version is more than a year old.
      I think it is the latest Playtest, there is just a typo in the file name. I had noticed it before, but forgot to mention it.

Comment

Well the playtest I beleve is the latest one, as described in the post in the link above.

But still my firends CTP2 tree should not have any thing to do with that the game locks up?
        As we both tryed to host the game, and from what I understood we only needed the three files as described in my first post, and we both manualy put the files in theyr respective folders

Stil would like to know if anyone knows how to fix this problem of ours

Comment

Its still recommended to play MP with CtP2 and Activison patch if you want a smooth game. The MP in the playtest isnt stable at all right now, youd be completely playtesting it.
          Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
          CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
          One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Qumad Al-Riyf
            Well the playtest I beleve is the latest one, as described in the post in the link above.
            OK, I will assume you just made a typo (2004), and you actually both have the 2005 playtest. Just to be sure, could you report what the actual date is on the first screen when you start the program.

But still my firends CTP2 tree should not have any thing to do with that the game locks up?
            I suspect it may. When you use different (e.g. const.txt) files at the client and the host, the client will detect this, and refuse to start the game. If one of you is not using the 2005.03.11 Anet DLL, you may not get a proper connection.

Actually, the mere existance of the second ctp2_program in the path is an indication that something went wrong. Can you indicate which files are present in the C:\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp\ctp2_program\ctp2 folder, and where there are differences from the files with the same name in the C:\Call To Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp directory?

As we both tryed to host the game, and from what I understood we only needed the three files as described in my first post, and we both manualy put the files in theyr respective folders

Stil would like to know if anyone knows how to fix this problem of ours
            For us to be able to help you, you have to be more specific with the report: e.g. tell which folder you think is "the respective".

And really report what happens when you try to set up the connection - preferably at both sides. Which screens do you go through? What choices (connection type, server, etc.) do you make? Tell us what does and what doesn't work - can you see and talk to each other in the lobby, what happens when you create the game, can you see the game being available, what happens when you join the game? Without this kind of information, all we can do is guess.

Comment

OK, I will assume you just made a typo (2004), and you actually both have the 2005 playtest. Just to be sure, could you report what the actual date is on the first screen when you start the program.
              I can't speak for Qumad Al-Riyf, but my Playtest version has the latest date on the opening screen (2005-03-05). The typo is in the download link text in the first post in the PROJECT: Playtest III thread. The actual file name is correct, just the link text at the bottom of the quote signed "-Martin" is wrong.

I'm not playing multiplayer, so my only purpose here was to point out the typo for correction, since it can obviously cause confusion with newer players.

Comment

Originally posted by demon59
                I can't speak for Qumad Al-Riyf, but my Playtest version has the latest date on the opening screen (2005-03-05). The typo is in the download link text in the first post in the PROJECT: Playtest III thread. The actual file name is correct, just the link text at the bottom of the quote signed "-Martin" is wrong.

I'm not playing multiplayer, so my only purpose here was to point out the typo for correction, since it can obviously cause confusion with newer players.
                Well i tried to edit my post there but apolyton seems to be playing up on editing posts, so ill try later to correct that.
                Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Originally posted by demon59
                  my Playtest version has the latest date on the opening screen (2005-03-05).
                  2005-03-05? Is this a no-CD hack? I didn't know that hackers worked that fast on old games like CtP2.

The human mind is amazingly fast in drawing conclusions, but can be unreliable.

Comment

Isn't that the march playtest posted at apolyton?
                    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Originally posted by E
                      Isn't that the march playtest posted at apolyton?
                      Yes. As far as I know, it is the latest (reasonably stable) Source Code Project playtest release. March 5, 2005.

Comment

Probably, yes. However, there is a funny thing with the playtest release. Because it is reporting the GMT date on screen, and the release was made somewhere between 0:00 and 1:00 in the GMT+1 timezone, the date at the screen is 2005-03-04 when I run it at my PC (using Windows XP professional).

But we are getting off topic. This has nothing to do with MP problems. I hope that Qumad Al-Riyf will resume posting and get us back on track with new information.

Comment

I copy pasted it from Maquiladora's post so it was a typo there.

The playtest I'm usin is 2005-03-04 (shown on startup screen)
                          (Tho now I see from http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=1 that there is a new one, 2005.03.05.CTP2.Playtest.rar ...or?

I cant acount for what files he's got in his different folders..
                          "the respective folders" are as stated in the quote in the first post.
                          Tho it might be as you said that he did extract the file into CTP2.
                          I extracted it in a separate folder and just copyed over what files I was told to.

I'll get him to do a new clean install and then do as me; extract the file in another folder and then copy the files he needts to the respective places.
                          If it dosent work I'll write down what happens and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                            Its still recommended to play MP with CtP2 and Activison patch if you want a smooth game. The MP in the playtest isnt stable at all right now, youd be completely playtesting it.
                            Where do I get this one?

Comment

You can get the Activision patch from here:

Only use this on a new install of CtP2, not with the apolyton playtest.

Comment

Working...
                              X