2 Questions. Need help please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Questions. Need help please.

I have just bought and installed CtP2. When I ran it, instead of Intro I see black screen [I can hear the some sound/voices so it apparently works]. Same thing happens when I build a Wonder. I hear some sounds, but can't see anything but black square inside the Movie Wonder window.

Also I don't seem to have any music in the background [but during Wonders, there is some musci]. Is it normal?

Second question is about something else. I have downloaded AContinentAtWar but in the zip file I have some file without extension. What do I do with that file to play? Do I need any mods first? I've tried to find it in FAQ, but I seemed to fail.

Help appreciated. Thanks.

i dont know about how to solve ur problems, but it is definately not normal to not be able to see the movie grafix

did u turn on the music and it still doesnt play?
    r u running XP or what?
    do u have the patch/ApolytonEdition/mods?

AContinentAtWar is the tourney right? then u have to put it in a folder in your save game folder
    i think it is for the World at War

and welcome

Comment

did u turn on the music and it still doesnt play?
      Yes, music is turned on. Like I said, I can hear some musics when I build Wonders for example, so generally it works, but during regular game it's quiet.

r u running XP or what?
      Im running win2k Pro.

do u have the patch/ApolytonEdition/mods?
      Let's see... I applied CTPII Patch v1.11
      What's Apolyton Edition?
      As for mods, I've only tried to run Cradle mod, but CtP2 crashed when I tried to run it :|

Comment

Not seeing the videos suggests some sort of incompatibility or problem with DirectX or video drivers. Using the Apolyton Edition might well help there.

The apolyton edition is an altered version of the CTP2 executable (and associated files) being developed here at Apolyton. See:

Comment

Originally posted by J Bytheway
          Not seeing the videos suggests some sort of incompatibility or problem with DirectX or video drivers.
          Or maybe the latest version of your video drivers could help.

-Martin
          Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

Not drivers/directx fault.

I have 2 PCs at home. Both have same Graphic card, same drivers and same version of DirectX. The only thing that is different is operating system. On Win98 there are no problems at all. I see/hear everything.

On the other PC with Win2k Pro I have the probelm.

There is a lot to read :| what am I supposed to be looking for? Besides the sound should work with original version, shouldn't it?

Comment

Originally posted by jarekexe
              I have 2 PCs at home. Both have same Graphic card, same drivers and same version of DirectX. The only thing that is different is operating system. On Win98 there are no problems at all. I see/hear everything.
              So the same drivers for Win98 and Win2k are you sure. I doubt drivers for Win98 don't work on Win2k, so they must be different or there lies your problem, but then it is a miracle to me how you was able to install it. Anyway it is a good idea, to get the latest drivers for your PC.

There is a lot to read :| what am I supposed to be looking for? Besides the sound should work with original version, shouldn't it?
              Of course the sound should work with the original version and of course in the meantime we got it to work with our version, too.

-Martin
              Civ2 military advisor: "No complaints, Sir!"

Comment

There is a lot to read :| what am I supposed to be looking for?
                Well, probably the FAQ would be a good place to start . The latest version for playtesting is available in this thread.

If you can update your video drivers, however, that's certainly worth trying.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Gühmann
                  So the same drivers for Win98 and Win2k are you sure. I doubt drivers for Win98 don't work on Win2k, so they must be different or there lies your problem, but then it is a miracle to me how you was able to install it. Anyway it is a good idea, to get the latest drivers for your PC.
                  Well you can have the same driver version but made for each operating system.
                  Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                  CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                  One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

o it works on one and not on the other, then it looks like a windows problem

does anything thing else not work on the 2k system?
                    is it the most up to date?

Comment

Another thing to try is running it in compatibility mode for an earlier version of Windows.

Comment

win2k had that?
                        o yea, do you have the sp for win2k?

Comment

Originally posted by HuangShang
                          win2k had that?
                          Ah, no. Sorry - it's been a long time sice I've answered Win2k questions .

Comment

Re: 2 Questions. Need help please.

[...] When I ran it, instead of Intro I see black screen [I can hear the some sound/voices so it apparently works]. Same thing happens when I build a Wonder. I hear some sounds, but can't see anything but black square inside the Movie Wonder window. [...]
                            Some things to check:

What happens when you play [...]\ctp2_data\default\videos\gm001.avi with Windows Media Player?
                            Do you have the Indeo video codec?

Comment

Gotcha!

That must be it.

"Unknown format (IV50)"

But that's weird. Other movie files [movies] work very well... guess I'll have to work with my codecs... How I hate it :|

Any suggestions?

Comment

Working...
                              X