• cannot install ctp2

hi,
    ich bought a original ctp2 cd at ebay,
    but i cant install it.
    im running windows xp without any expansion pack,
    or significant hotfixes.
    the error is

"GetFyleAttributesA was not found in dll "Kernel32.dll"

its really anoying be cause i dont often buy games, and this cd isnt working.

can someone help me?

I don't have any real advice to offer, but I thought I'd reply to keep this thread afloat a little longer.

That's a very strange error message. My first guess would be something pretty drastic has gone wrong, like corrupted data on the CD...

When exactly does the error occur?

Comment

im not an expert - but i occasionally see a simular message on the pc's at work, usualy when booting up - a missing .dll file of one type or another.
      So i reinstall a new image on the pc and then everything is fine. So for me its a problem with windows installation, and missing files for windows i think?

Do you get this message only when you try to install CTP2? If so then as J Bytheway says, it sounds like a fault on the CD itself.
      Is the surface of the CD very scratched? If so then try one of those CD scratch remover/repairer things - i had a problem with a second hand Xbox game once and i used my scratch-remover gagdet - and the game was fine after that.
      If its not that then i'm not sure what you can do? Test it on another pc maybe? and see if it does the same error?
      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

the CD is fine, completely new

Comment

I one time had that problem and just looked for kernel on my xp and copied it back over. also trying to reinstall helped too IIRC
          Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Try a manual installation:

1) Make a new folder where you want to install the game (e.g. by default C:\Program Files\Activision\Call to Power 2).

2) Browse on your CtP2 CD to D:\Setup\data (assuming D: is your CD drive)

3) Open both civlang.ctp and civmain.ctp in that folder with a zip program such as WinZip and extract the data to the folder you created in step 1.

4) If you want the videos on your harddisk (makes them load faster but takes up more diskspace), copy all files from D:\Setup\data\Max\ctp2_data\default\videos to C:\Program Files\Activision\Call to Power 2\ctp2_data\default\videos (or wherever you installed the game).

5) (Optional) Copy the entire D:\Setup folder except data\civlang.ctp, data\civmain.ctp and the data\Max folder to some temporary location on your harddisk. Make two new empty zip files, name them civlang.ctp and civmain.ctp, and place them in the Setup\data folder on your HDD. Run the setup.exe in your temporary folder on the harddisk and 'install' the game. Afterwards, delete the temporary folder.

This step is needed to set the registry values (which you may need for installing the patch, but you can patch manually as well; see the Apolyton Directory), to create desktop shortcuts, etc. It's not necessary to be able to play the game.

6) Browse to C:\Program Files\Activision\Call to Power 2\ctp2_program\ctp and run ctp2.exe to start the game.

7) Have fun playing!

If this goes wrong, let us know at what step so we know where the problem is.
            Last edited by Locutus; February 10, 2005, 13:28.
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

thanks guys,
              but suprise suprise, it worked today.
              i have absolutely no clue why,
              but the regular install worked.

everything i did in the meantime was installing
              delphi 2005

Comment

Working...
              X