Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any way to fix windows xp hosting problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any way to fix windows xp hosting problem?

It seems like you need to have an older copy of windows to host game; therefore, two people with win xp cannot play each other.

Any fixes for this problem?

I've upgraded from win 98; though, i don't believe i chose the dual OS option. Any game patches to fix prob? Is it just a matter of changing an XP setting somewhere?

I posted the problem in the source code forum so hopefully it will get some attention there...
    "

Comment

Can someone tell me how I could partition my harddrive for windows 98? I have plenty of harddrive space so thats not a problem and I think my harddrive is partitionable though I know nothing about it. I really want to beable to host games (so I can play Quimby lol).
      "

Comment

Well, you can try shrinking one partition and putting a new one in the space, but that's risky. It's safer to backup everything, reformat and reinstall from scratch.

Install W98 first on a small partition, and then when you install XP look at the "advanced options" (or something like that) where it allows you to tell it to install in a new partition, rather than overwriting the existing W98 installation.

If you only have a recovery CD, rather than a real installation CD, you might have problems.

Comment

Yea EPW; you jut heard I was easy! To beat that is. Anyway, any lcuk with this? Did ya try it yet?

Comment

EPW told me hes never won a MP game yet, coincidence he wants to play you so much he'll reformat his hard drive?
            Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
            CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
            One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

"

Comment

Originally posted by Quimby
                Anyway, any lcuk with this? Did ya try it yet?
                I havn't tryed it yet and If I do try it will be sometime next week.
                "

Comment

Would using a partitioning utility work?
                  "

Comment

Well, you'll certainly need to do some partitioning at some point. Just remember to backup your data before messing with your partitions at all.

Comment

EPW, I have made some researches over the Internet about a WinXP/Win98SE dual boot installation. The simplest way to do so seems to install Win98SE first and then to install WinXP on another partition without choosing to upgrade your Win98SE installation when you start installing WinXP. This way, your system will understand by itself you want a dual boot set up.

You will need a FAT32 partition for Win98SE as it is not able to read a NTFS partition, WinXP can be installed on a FAT32 partition without any problem though.

If you choose to install WinXP first and then Win98SE, the problem is that Win98SE will erase WinXP's boot records in order to replace them with its own boot records. Your computer will then be unable to run WinXP as it won't find the informations needed to run WinXP (replaced by Win98SE ones).

I am not a computer scientist so this is the solution I would choose if I had to run a dual boot installation on my computer. If you choose to do it like this it is better to start from a clean Hard Drive Disk as J Bytheway is suggesting it. Make a check list with all the informations you need to install Win98SE (drivers, network configuration, etc...) and download all the needed softwares on a FAT32 partition (remember that NTFS can't be accessed by Win98SE so you won't be allowed to read and use any information saved on a NTFS partition).

"Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

It seems like it would be too much trouble to go through...
                        "

Comment

Working...
                        X