No announcement yet.

Win2K problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game installs then once i try run i get that dreaded little window telling me sorry for the inconvienience but the game has just shat itself.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Update on my situation: finally upgraded to WinXP Pro, must be cold in hell (didn't format first like the lazy bum I am, just installed WinXP on top of Win2K). Just installed my new Radeon X800, installed CTP2 cleanly, used v1.11 patch and the game started without crashing, and the screen flickering is gone.

So, more than likely, it was indeed the NT-based OS, coupled with those Radeon cards and/or Catalyst drivers.

I will say that I am using the video drivers that came with my CD, rather than the newest ones from the ati site, so I dunno if that makes a difference or not.

Well, I'm off to enjoy CTP2 at long last without getting a screen-flickering of a headache.

btw Doc, I used the playtest patch from this site to get around that crash on startup. Screen flickered in-game, but at least it would start.

Comment

Originally posted by doc higgins
        I have the same problem my self, Running WinXP Pro. The common factor here is the Radeon card. I have a 9700 and suffer all the same issues as you do. Game installs then once i try run i get that dreaded little window telling me sorry for the inconvienience but the game has just shat itself.
        Try reinstalling CtP2, it seems that the installation process sometimes does not complete adequately under Win2000 and possibly WinXP. I had to reinstall it several times under Win2000 before I could play the game. The installation process hangs a while around 96% before the window informing you the process has been successfuly ended is suddenly displayed. But sometimes that information is inadequate.

... on the flip side though, spending a bit more time at the girls house - her windows 98 antique has worked its way back into my affections err and of course the quality time spent with my good lady - I must stress that!
        "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Knight1
          Update on my situation: finally upgraded to WinXP Pro, must be cold in hell (didn't format first like the lazy bum I am, just installed WinXP on top of Win2K). Just installed my new Radeon X800, installed CTP2 cleanly, used v1.11 patch and the game started without crashing, and the screen flickering is gone.

So, more than likely, it was indeed the NT-based OS, coupled with those Radeon cards and/or Catalyst drivers.
          Glad to read your problem is finally solved, sounds like a driver problem. I upgraded from Win2000 Pro to WinXP Pro a few month ago and I am pretty happy with it, as far as I am concerned WinXP is much more user friendly than Win2K.
          "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Knight1

I will say that I am using the video drivers that came with my CD, rather than the newest ones from the ati site, so I dunno if that makes a difference or not.

Well, I'm off to enjoy CTP2 at long last without getting a screen-flickering of a headache.

btw Doc, I used the playtest patch from this site to get around that crash on startup. Screen flickered in-game, but at least it would start.
            Finally one more person playing a or decent game

But the morale of the story is: Do not use Windows

Comment

But it's not like CtP2 is available for any other platform . Well, Linux, almost...
              Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
              I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

OK, agreed.............shame that they didn't do it right away, but at this time other OS's wheren't as strong as nowadays.........

Kind of a shame, though

This IS getting better nowdays

Comment

Working...
                X