Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The apoly (gigantic maps) with good mod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The apoly (gigantic maps) with good mod...

I am playing a game with the Apolyton pack with "ultra gigantic maps" and Good mod. I have noticed in the library that the number of cities that your gov. can handle has gone up dramatically!!!!! For example, Tryanny can do 15 cities and Fascism I belive can handle "125" cities... . WOW what a diffence!!!! I am going to restart my game and redo some things. I can have up to 27(?) other civs correct, if I just adjust a file in my user preference? I like playing on water based maps but Ill do anything. Just wanted to post what a great job all of you did with these mods!!!!!!

Lars...

Just hope youve got the computer to handle it....
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Yeppers....

WinXP, Athlon 1.8 gig, 1024 DDR ram, Gforce 4w/ 128 DDR ram on board, a premium DSL connection (although I have yet to use it for CtP2) and a 30 gig HD>... Very nice, I play at 1280x1024 res. This should not affect the AI correct?

Lars

Comment

Well its the AI turns and updating of all cities and resources that takes longest but 1gig of ram is very nice. Of course the game wasnt made for 30 civs but id like to see it tried on civ3
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

Hey there Maq. I am having trouble saving my game. Each time I try My game crashes to the desktop. I still get the Auto save at the begining of each turn, but when I try to manually save I have been crashing. I am still playing large map with 18 civs and the game is slowing down in its thinking. What are some things I can do to speed up the AI thinking? Will reducing the screen reso or turning off the sound help? I have tried to cut off all back ground programs but this does not appear to help. I have noticed that if I load my game and reload to an older game and than back to my original (from my autosave) I can sometimes manually save but not after I move or make Civ adjustments (like rush buying things or setting up caravan routes. Any Ideas or advice?

Lars

Comment

Reducing screen resolution and sound wont make much difference, seeing as that slows the game at the same speed on the same map with 2 civs, its the AI turns that are slow, which is logical with 30 civs...

I dont know why it isnt saving manually, probably something got corrupted after you play a turn. Does it always crash when saving manually with any SAP2 game?

Comment

Load an old game and try to reload the slic files before making any changes and saving.

Press ' to open the chat window, type /reloadslic, press Enter to execute the command and press Enter again to close the chat windows.

Hope it will help.
              "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks I will see if that helps..

=)

Lars

Comment

Actually, reducing screen resolution *can* make quite a difference in game speed, though of course that's in this case not the cause of the problem so the effect will be somewhat limited.

To improve performance, make sure you use maximum speed for unit movement and disable show enemy moves. Also, make sure you have as much memory available as possible: disable any other programs and services running in the background and use a clean install of windows (reinstall from time to time to keep it fresh).

Games with 30ish Civs run just fine for me and I have a system similar to yours except that I only have 512 MB RAM. Of course, they get slower as time progresses, but not annoyingly slow. But I must note that I don't reload savegames very often but rather play games in just one or two sessions if possible. I don't have any kind off evidence for or against it, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if savegames caused additional resource bugs.
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Something that can also help when you run older games is to lower the Hardware Acceleration setting of your graphic card. Some older games actually have their performances seriously reduced, if they are not crashing, when you select the higher setting.

As far as I am concerned I have found that reducing the Hardware Acceleration setting by one rank prevents some problems with CtP2.
                    "Democracy is the worst form of government there is, except for all the others that have been tried." Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Yeah it does work if its anything obviously graphics related, ie, freezing in one certain game, ghosting images staying on screen when scrolling, things like that. I had it with my TNT2 32meg card, i turned down graphics accel one level and it worked perfectly, without a speed loss, it was probably a problem with direct draw.

Comment

Working...
                      X