NAT, Ispec, Tunneling, UPnP, Sharing...XP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAT, Ispec, Tunneling, UPnP, Sharing...XP

Ok here is the scoup from what I gather, no I am not an expert.

I have been driv'in by this urge to get CTP to connect to another machine in online gaming, with winxp.

Ok so IEV.4 needs help with IP addresses thus NAT, cool, 6 will too so this problem is not going away.

So Ispec combined with NAT combined with the firewall, sharing, and UPnP, or lack of it aswell as nat. Stop CTP from communicating with? 1. an old server?

No problem from what I gather we could:

1. add the info as a tunnel through the Ipsec, firwall and nat?
    We would need to know the address of each player and or go throught the DX system to play online. I read that in a microsoft referance.

So is the answer to take out nat and the rest all together and rely on say zonealarm, for computer security?

Or do we tunnel? and if so how the heck can we post a standardized, easy to follow instructions on how to do this work-around?

Any ideas.

please correct any mis-observations I have made here.

Any help from a network guru greatly appreciated.
    “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

SOOOOOOOO no guru's?

No tunneler's? Someone must have a clue?
    “The Communist Manifesto was correct…but…we see the privileges of the capitalist bourgeoisie yielding…to democratic organizations…In my judgment…success lies in a steady [peaceful] advance…[rather]…than in…a catastrophic crash."Eduard Bernstein
    Or do we?

Comment

Are you trying to figure a way around a connection problem with CTP and winxp?
      So one guy turns to another guy and says "T.A.I." His friends says "What?" He responds by saing "Think about it;)"

Comment

Yes it is related to the above.
        Or do we?

Comment

Erni from Germany and I have been playing online for..oh..about 1.5 years..and then this past week his pc crashed, which had a win98 os..then he got win2000xp and ..well..you gotta love it, we cannot connect now, because of above connection issues.

VERY few win2000xp users can connect with each other.

I am trying to figure out if I am smart enuff to install a dualboot system on my pc without fricking up my 'puter.

I love this ctp that much that I would do it.

But, alas, I need to do more reading on this dualboot as to whether I can or not.

Peace

Grandpa Troll
          Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Nimrod
            Are you trying to figure a way around a connection problem with CTP and winxp?
            Nimrod

many problems are associated between ctp and win2000xp.

Connection being one of them and also a real oddity, saving games, sometimes they save fine..sometimes you get a message when trying to reload one.."No scenario found"

~sigh~

Peace

Grandpa Troll
            Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

I have "No scenario found" probs alot when trying to save multiplyer games. I wont even bother hosting them due to this. Its sad to see CTP fall back into a legacy program where some day there will be an windows os that will not run it at all.
              So one guy turns to another guy and says "T.A.I." His friends says "What?" He responds by saing "Think about it;)"

Comment

True but we can still play by DX even in winxp.
                In fact that is what microsoft recommends for all games that no longer function.

They are so helpful, they say in fact mostly because of NAT this is the way it will go for some time to come.
                Or do we?

Comment

The main problem about make a tunnel is that almost all software used for tunneling are build only for TCP not for UDP that is the transport protocol used by CTP.

To make a tunnel UDP-TCP-UDP (to let us exit from firewalls) we need a proxy machine that live in Internet like an internet server who translate our calls to the CTP.Servers and can be programed by us.

Other thing we can try is to build a VPN (virtual private network) between 2 or 3 players who want to play but won meet on CTP.Servers but in a LAN game, I don't know if it could be done but is just a though.

Comment

I agree Ber It seems the way to go, the other thought I had was to turn off ispec etc and just use zone alarm etc.

Now I did read, I can send the web page if you like ? It was about using a static Ip in winxp to do just what you are saying with the poxy. I gather it is possible to create a static IP and then allow all protocals like UDP and TCP all access to and fro.

Would this be another way to do it?

Do you think that would work in winxp?
                    Or do we?

Comment

As for VPN yes you could do that and or play through the DX system as Microsoft suggest's.
                      Or do we?

Comment

What's DX in this context?

Comment

Please send me the page, I'll take a look.

Maybe we can try something

Comment

J Bytheway Playing through the direct x system as Microsoft proposes for all games.

berXpert

Discover the latest breaking news in CA and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

That gives one an idea is all, but much useful information there. I also have the port and address of both servers for CTP.

So if you can come up with something and or need more resources I have them.

I have a web page saved at work where a dude explains exactly how to setup ctp in winxp but for me it did not work.

Now that is not to say it does not work but for me it did not.

Thanks Ber
                            Or do we?

Comment

Working...
                            X