Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

G*&$%#n 100 City limit: How do I kill it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G*&$%#n 100 City limit: How do I kill it?

Does anybody know how to change the 100 city limit code so that your
    civilization doesn't start revolting because you have >100 cities? It's
    a rule that's bugged me for a long time now, and I want to act by either
    rewriting the code myself or downloading a patch. Ideas? Comments?

Who's dumb idea was this rule anyway. Has anyone ever heard of a country that has experienced civil was because it had too many cities?

Edit your .../ctp_data/default/gamedata/govern.txt file. Each of the governments has a TOO_MANY_CITIES_THRESHOLD variable which defines the point at which you start accruing unhappiness, and a TOO_MANY_CITIES_COEFFICIENT variable which defines how many points of unhappiness you get for every city over the limit.

You might want to experiment with a more gradual unhappiness setting. Instead of just raising the city limit to 10000 (or whatever), you might try setting the COEFFICIENT to 0.1 so that you only get one point of unhappiness for every ten cities, instead of every city. (Note that Theocracy already has a COEFFICIENT of 0.5 -- the others all have 1.)

Comment

The city limit is not always 100, it depends on what government you have. For example, Anarchy has a TOO_MANY_CITIES_THRESHOLD of 1,000!

Techocracy will let you have 110 and Virtual Democracy 120 without any unhappiness.

Comment

Thanks guys. I think I'll opt to edit the source file. I think it's stupid that a civilization gets restless because there are too many cities. Overpopulation inn individual cities is one thing, but IO would think that the populace would be more proud if their country had more cities, not the opposite. The whole rule is ill-conceived. I'll reset it far above ant number I could ever attain. Thanks again.

There's also the matter I brought up on a separate topic. What could be preventing me from building the Wormhole Sensor?

Here's the situation:
        1) No other civilization has or can besides mine
        2) The year is 2150; my civilization is the unmatched hegemon
        3) Bloodlust is off (to the best of my knowledge: I checked by trying to make a new game first and the default setting was "off". I did not turn it on for the ongoing game when I started it). Regardless, would bloodlust being "on" prevent one from building the sensor?
        4) I have Wormholes knowledge. In fact, I have every advance available and am now in "Future" this or that level 8.
        5) I have a space presence (again, in the past, that hasn't made a difference as long as I've had rail launchers)

What's going on? In I don't know how many games, this is the first time I haven't been allowed to build the sensor. Is there a time (year) limit on it?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by Gilderon on 03-21-2001 05:30 AM
          Thanks guys. I think I'll opt to edit the source file. I think it's stupid that a civilization gets restless because there are too many cities. Overpopulation inn individual cities is one thing, but IO would think that the populace would be more proud if their country had more cities, not the opposite. The whole rule is ill-conceived. I'll reset it far above ant number I could ever attain. Thanks again.

There's also the matter I brought up on a separate topic. What could be preventing me from building the Wormhole Sensor?

...snip...

I don't think it's stupid. It's like "Our leader is making our society bigger, but how are we benefitting? We not, we're p*ssed off". So you change your government to one that pays them more, has a shorter working day, and more food for them, and in return you get a higher city threshold.

Has that given you a clue as to how manage this problem globally across the civilisation? Check out the CIV window!

Go here and page down for some help with how GOVERN.TXT is configured

Dunno about your wormhole, I played Alien project a few times but the end game is so much less satisfying than wiping everybody else out
          [This message has been edited by PN (edited March 21, 2001).]
          [This message has been edited by PN (edited March 21, 2001).]

Comment

What program can you use to edit the source file for ctp??

------------------

Comment

You can use the Notepad application to edit the file we've been talking about.

Comment

Any hex-editor, gemini, but for that you'd have to be a very good assembler coder and have a *lot* of free time on your hands (Yes, I know that's not what Gilderon meant...)

BTW, what happened to your profile? A settler with only 8 posts that registered before 02-15-99?! That can't be right...
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I'm thinking back in time here to RL civilizations like the Mongol-Tatar empire, the Roman Empire, the Egyptians, the Chinese, Indians, etc. which employed various styles of government (though no successful civilization was anarchic) from tyranny to monarchy to theology, yada yada. Some of these civilization had hundereds of cities and existed normally for hundreds of years as such until invaders or their own decadance or stagnation brought them down. One could argue that, take the Mongols for example who had the largest empire the world's ever seen, even to this day (unless you consider McDonalds a civilization), the sheer size of their empire was impossible to coordinate effectively. OK, but that has more to do with communication and transport, not the government.

I'm still not convinced that rule is founded on solid logic, especially when you get into corporate republic (100 cities) and Technocracy (120) and you've got maglevs, space travel, etc. Something just doesn't click.

Comment

I bow to your knowledge of ancient civilizations, and agree that the game does not model what you describe. I guess you'll have to write yourself a mod. I'd play it!

But while the city limit is not realistic I still don't think it's *stupid* like you suggested before.

Comment

Actually, all you've gotta do is go in and change those settings and you can play. I've done it and it works great.

I guess stupid isn't really a proper word in regards to the city limit. Ill-conceived is better. It's clear that historians weren't conselled when they were coding the game. Some things in it just defy reality and historical precedent.

Comment

Thanks Locutus,

About my profile, well I guess apolyton had some server problems a couple months ago. It wiped out my profile. For a while I couldn't even post but the dan fixed that but they haven't fixed how many posts I had. Guess i was demoted from warlord to a simple settler. Either that or I've made some important people mad. Hope it gets fixed!!!

------------------

Comment

A little bit late but what the heck
                          By thinking of what Gilderon said about the thing that people should be happier with more cities, will it work to change the COEFFICIENT to -0.1 .
                          Just my thoughts
                          "When we forge weapons, we also forge war. When we forge tools, we also forge civilization. "

Comment

Working...
                          X