Does the AI rush build Wonders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does the AI rush build Wonders?

Does the AI rush build wonders? Several Wonders in my last game were a true race...both myself and my closest rivals were trying to complete them. There a few wonder races I lost (but I didn't care too much because I considered them low priority...still its the principal of the matter) but when I got a message the Hollywood wonder was being built I dropped everything in my highest producing city and the race began. But two turns later I got the message that my rival had completed Hollywood! Theres NO WAY unless the AI 'cheated' or rush bought it. If the AI can rush build wonders itmakes a big difference in wonder strategy. Since the AI can beat you to it in a race you have to carefully aim for what wonders you want, get the advances first or a soon as possible and begin construction immediately!

D4
    "I know nobody likes me...why do we have to have Valentines Day to emphasize it?"- Charlie Brown

Yes the AI can rushbuy wonders, in fact, he does everytime he can!
    Once in one of my games, both me and the Italians (AI) had at least 70,000 gold, when I had the technology to build to sensorium, I immediatly started building it. 2 Turns after, the Italians started building it and 1 turn after, he rushbought it. Since that was an extremely important wonder for me, 3 turns later, the Italian city who built it was now a Canadian city (mine)
    "When we forge weapons, we also forge war. When we forge tools, we also forge civilization. "

Comment

I guess I'm too used to Civ2 where the AI doesn't rush build. I found out the hard way last night that it does indeed rush build in CTP. The Hebrews and I were almost evenly matched in advancements. I knew this because they were building wonders at the same time or slightly ahead the time I got the required advances. They were pretty secretive about it too. They wouldn't share maps, tech or anything with me and I had located the other five civs but had no idea where they were exactly. The Hebrews started building the London Exchange and a turn or two later so did I. I maxed the production and started disbanding units in hopes of beating them but then I got the message that they were almost finished. Luckily I stepped into a ruin with a soldier and got Electricity. (Strange...an ancient ruin with the secret of electricity! All coming from a bunch of guys whose entire vocabulary is 'Me tired" and "Blood shall run")

I switched production to Edison's lab a turn later the hebrews finished the London exchange. two turns later they started on Edison's Lab. At this time my wife called me for dinner. I saved the game and ate. When I got back to it two turns later they finished it. FOUR TURNS!? They had to have rush built it! I was pissed. They were already winning in tech with Ed's Lab they'd have an incredible advantage. I know its kind of a cheat, but I reloaded the saved game, disbanded every unit in the city and bought it myself.

I feel crappy for doing that...and I'm not inclined to do it again. I just wasn't sure they could rush build things and I really needed that wonder. The Hebrews had damn near beaten me to all the others thus far.

Suffice it to say I built a lot of the science and production wonders in a few of my larger cities and keep them ready for "Wonder rushing" if the situation comes up again. I'm not upset that the AI can rush build as it makes the game a little more challenging. I promised myself not to do the reload thing again.

D4
      "I know nobody likes me...why do we have to have Valentines Day to emphasize it?"- Charlie Brown

Comment

It was posted somewhere in the general forum that the AI can rush build anytime they have over 10,000 gold

Comment

Yeah...

I was building Internet once, I got the message that a rival civ started building it - it had it in two turns from a pop. size 2 city (I had GlobeSat, so I could tell).

Hey, its only fair that the AI can do what you do!!!
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Working...
          X