Old article - MarkG?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old article - MarkG?

MarkG, I've been trying to hunt down an old article I remember reading on Apolyton concerning members of the design teams from Activision and Firaxis getting together to talk about the good and bad things with both CTP and SMAC.

I only got SMAC about a month ago, so I'm pretty interested to read it again. I hunted through the archives back to before CTP was released, but I must have missed it. Unfortunately I don't even have much of an idea what month it was. Do you have any ideas where it might be?

Thanks kindly for your help.

- MKL
    - mkl

Heya.

Check our Column archive for a complete index of all articles posted for this feature, past and present.

----------------
    Dan; Apolyton CS

Comment

that is, if you are talking about a column article

or do you mean thread?

Comment

As far as I can remember, it was neither column nor thread. I remember seeing it posted as a News Item, most likely on the CTP site of Apolyton (because that was about the only one I looked at back then). I have no idea where it linked to from there.

Sorry I'm so vague about it. All I know is that it was a really interesting comparison by the designers. Firaxis were conceding that CTP's stacking was good, and that SMACs map could have been better, and Activision were conceeding that SMAC's diplomacy was better than CTP's.

The archives I was going through was the news archives for CTP.

- MKL
        - mkl

Comment

Hi All,

I remember the thread he is talking about. Someone, maybe Slingshot, posted the transcript of a hypothetical meeting between Farix and Activition in which both sides talked about the relative good and bad points of their games. He then posted a hypothetical conclusion. It was very well done and did a good job showing the relative merits and flaws of both games. I beleive that it was in response to some very negative, dare I say flame wars, between supporters of SMAC and CTP. I believe that it was started by some CTP bashers, we all know who they are. Hope that helps. I believe this whole thing took place sometime around April or May of 1999.

Timothy Pintello

Comment

Pintello, you must be talking about the thread Announced: Firaxis merges with Activision! which was started by Freddz. I also remembered something like this, so I started looking for it and I found this.

Comment

I was getting all set to write a reply saying that wasn't it, but sure enough it was. I'm disappointed now that it wasn't a real thing. I must have been an innocent little Apolytoner back then.

Thanks for your help, guys. No wonder Dan And Mark didn't know what I was talking about

- MKL
              - mkl

Comment

Working...
              X