CtP1 and Patches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CtP1 and Patches

Okay, the issue of patches not working with CtP1 has been brought up several times so I will address it again.

Patches require specific exe files AS WELL AS the game to of been played. The reason is certain files are created or modified ONLY after the game has been played. Since I do a lot of Mod Work/Testing, I have screwed my CtP installation up quite a few times. During the re-install from scratch, I have hit about every concievable 'patch doesn't work' error. The following is guaranteed to work:

1) Uninstall CtP and delete all directories related to it.
    2) Reboot your computer
    3) Do a Maximum/Full CtP install
    4) Reboot
    5) Start/save a game
    6) Install CtP v1.2 Patch
    7) Reboot
    8) Start/save a game
    9) Install V1.21 Hack
    10) Reboot
    11) Start/save a game
    (Optional for those asking about this)
    12) Install V1.2(5) No_Cd Hack
    13) Reboot
    14) Start/save a game
    15) You are off and running

At this point, all you really need to do is install Wes' latest Med Mod. It encompasses all the other mods plus a lot more.
    Don,
    CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Hey, I never knew there was a no-cd crack for the 1.21 hack until you posted this. Well, I just found it at www.megagames.com and installed it so that I no longer have to put the cd in the drive every time I want to play CTP.

Comment

Don,
      At what point do I install the Modpicker? Just before the Med Mod?
      Thanks!

Big Dave
      Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

Where is this no-cd crack for version 1.21 hack ????
        I went to megagames.com, what is it called??????

Comment

The Civilization: Call to Power v1.2 no-cd crack there contains both the 1.2 and 1.21 cracks.

Comment

Big Dave,

Correct, after the V1.25 No_CD hack (which is what the 1.21 hack crack is called) and before Wes' Med Mod.

BTW, Wes just released his 5.0 beta Med Mod so be sure and use it.
            Don,
            CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Big Dave, you should install Modpicker after the 1.21 hack. One of its features is that it can automatically tell CTP to use the default files when you load a pbem game when double-clicking on it. This feature will use the registry entry that is created when you first run CTP with the 1.2 patch. I never tried to use Modpicker without the patch installed so I don't know what would happen, but just to be on the safe side install Modpicker after you install the hack. You can install it either before or after installing any modpacks; that doesn't matter.

Comment

I just mailed you.

Comment

btw, can someone mail me a copy of modpicker and of course any other file that is "out there" but on apolyton?

Comment

Alright, I followed these instructions _to_the_letter_ plus did everything else suggested to fix this on both Activision's site and the Apolyton site. CtP STILL:
                    a)Crashes to the desktop when I try to load any game from currently loaded scenario.
                    b)Crashes when I try to quit the game from any scenario (I especially hate it when a program freezes when you try to shut it down, that just seems mean).

So what do I win? How about an AR-15 with attached grenade launcher and a bus ticket to Activision's corporate headquarters?

Anyway I've given up trying to fix this. Unless Activision releases an official patch I'm screwed. There is NO WAY I am buying CTP2 though, or any other Activision crap for that matter, not after this. This is not acceptable from a product (that should be) as mature as CTP.
                    [This message has been edited by Kilroy_Alpha (edited June 19, 2000).]

Comment

Ahhhh, another satisfied customer, I see!

John-SJ

Comment

Killroy,
                        When you installed CTP did you either:

A) In Windoze 95 press CTRL+ALT+DEL and "End Task" on all running applications other than Explorer and possibly SysTray?

or

B) In Windoze 98 run msconfig and click the radio button that says "Selective Startup" and uncheck everything, then click on the Startup tab and uncheck everything?

Then delete all temp files (Start | Find | Files or Folders, type *.tmp in the Name field, select My Computer and click on Find Now. The press CTRL+a followed by Del), run scandisk then defrag?

Did you install and use Modpicker?

And failing all that, did you go get your money back?

Sorry if the basic Windoze troubleshooting is well, basic to you. No offense was intended.

Big Dave
                        Any flames in this message are solely in the mind of the reader.

Comment

Working...
                        X