Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nuclear War------a poll

Hi, all.

Has anyone ever had the AI start a nuclear war with you--i.e. nuke one of your cities?

If so, could you please describe the situation briefly concerning that? I am very interested to hear.

(Or has amyone seen the AI nuke another AI?)

Thanks a lot!
    Existence is Futile.

Nordicus,

I have never been in or seen a nuclear war per say. The closest I have ever come is in my current game. I shot off 3 nukes to see what would happen. Two cities got hit, I think. Very small flames shot up and a couple tiles went dead. (In SMAC, you know when a nuke hits from the massive explosion.) One nuke just disappeared into a city and did nothing. I am assuming they had SDI. A few rounds later, the Civ I hit shot a nuke at one of my cities. Right when it got there, it took a 90 degree turn and flew off over the ocean. I still scratch my head on that one. I had SDI in the city but the nuke actually turned and went off in another direction. I built a couple more nukes and lo and behold what did I have. Why a couple of warwalkers sitting right outside the very cities that had the nukes. I fired them off and the warwalkers shot them down while they were still in my city. (I just love the way the AI cheats on stuff like this. It is like the Barbarians, they know exactly which city you have undefended and that is the city they go for.) That was the last of the nukes. No Civ ever tried to fire one on me again. I'll probably fire off a few more for the fun of it.

Also, I have never seen the AI nuke another AI Civ either.

I can't say much about attitude changes because I have been at war with every Civ for so long now that I can't ever remember anybody liking me.

Don
    Don,
    CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

I love it when an AI civ is located on a remote island that i have no desire to populate

i just nuke the hell out of em

the only time i've had return fire is when the AI was a "militant" nation... (attribute: "WarMany")

not sure if this is a coincidence but i've never been nuked by a civ with a lower setting... (agreeable, aggresive, etc)

Lucky

[This message has been edited by Lucky (edited November 30, 1999).]

Comment

I've only ever seen the Ai launch a nuke against me once. I think it was after I launched 3 nukes against a civ. I got so excited seeing a Nuke approach one of my cities... unfortunately the nuke ran out of fuel next turn and crashed into the ocean... boy was I disappointed...
        Monkey I am proud to be!
        Trim the sails and roam the sea!
        Trim the sails and roam the sea!
        ...Stefu

Comment

Nordicus,

After my last post, I went in cheat mode and put Nukes in 6 cities of every other Civ to see what would happen. So far nothing has. I might also add that every other Civ in this game is non-Peaceful, ie. militant or aggressive. That is why I just have stayed at war this game. The non-Peaceful don't want to play a friendly game in any way. No stop trespassing or treaties and only 2 tech exchanges, which were to their benefit.

I'll let you know if I ever get nuked again.

Don
          Don,

Comment

I've never had a nuke launched against me period. I'd like to see the AI use them but pref not totally ruthless.

Getting off the topic but has anyone ever met an AI civ that gave a ^&*(^about pollution?

Comment

I have never even been nuked by the AI's nor have I used a nuke during my games. It's not nescesary and I don't like to make too much pollution.

Not that I don't like using nukes course in CIV II I use nukes on a regular basis or let the little lady-spy (a little "Red Alert Tania") do the job for me. The pollution there are easily removed by Engineers.

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

*ka-booooooooooooooooommmmmm--bump*
                Existence is Futile.

Comment

New question:
                  Does anyone think, according to the appropriate AI type and situation of course, that an AI would want to nuke another civ (or you) and should be capable of doing so if it "wanted" to?
                  Existence is Futile.

Comment

Should the AI use the nuke if it appropriate? Definatly! I loved it how I had to watch out for my aggressive neighbours in CivII after the Manhattan Project had been built. In real life the atomic bomb is used first and foremost as a deterrent for nuclear war, but keep in mind that this is a weapon that has actually been used.

I therefore feel that the nuke has a place in CTP, and not just as a deterrent, but as an actual weapon. The question is, when should the AI use it? Certainly not as a surprise attack! Although it might be a tactically smart to do this, it doesn't feel "politically correct". What would be really great, is if it's being used as a last all-out offensive, and promptly asks for a peace-treaty after the bombing. The civ would then show that they're not afraid if using devastating weapons, and the enemy of this civ should consider signing a peace treaty to stop further annihilation. But this is all dreaming... Would be really cool though

Comment

skorpion59

Quick question.... How do u give the ai civs units throug cheat mode?¿?¿?

Comment

Hi All,

Yes, definitely the AI should be able to use Nukes. I think the AI most inclined to do so should be the Militant one. After that the Aggressive one, but less likely. I think the other AIs should be disinclined to use Nukes unless some one has used a Nuke on them. I think the Militant AI and possibly the Aggressive AI should have the option to use Nukes as a first attack, but I think it should carry with it heavy political or diplomatic consequenses.

Timothy Pintello

Comment

Hey, a lot of us think the same way here. I agree with your guys' commnets here.
                          I find it personally pathetic and unrealistic when I'm bootin the hell outta a civ that has nukes (and I don't) and won't use them! At least one to get me to back off!
                          Silly.
                          I don't know how it could be done thru the diplomacy flis, but I think there can be some degree of complexity here. Hmm.

Does anyone know what the code looks like for Civ2? Or if it's similar to CTP's? Since Civ2 had this aspect done pretty well, I thought, even though I was only nuked (in retaliation) once in Civ2 (and I did a whole lotta nukin!), I'd be interested to see what the diplomacy files look like.

Timothy, yes, I agreee--I'd also have it so that any type "could" use them if at war, like the example I gave above...no matter what the type, if it's losing the war, it would be capable of doing so. But for a nasty offensive, though, I think only the warmonger types would dare to do that.

Lord Sigma:
                          I'll answer that while I'm here
                          You enter cheat mode, find the option that gives you units, then find "airforce" types, and then nukes. You then cycle thru the civs you're playing with (small *+* and *-* buttons beside the name of whatever civ you are on the main cheat screen) and place whatever unit you want in whatever city. Viola!

Don:
                          Yeah, let me know if anyone nukes you and what the circumstances are. This would give some indication of what I could do (barring another scary and ugly hack).
                          Existence is Futile.

Comment

Hi all,

I like the way AI players used nukes in
                            CIV I. Most of the time it was a diplomatic weapon (ie. give us this tech...don't forget we have nukes!!) I think something like that should have been implemented into diplomacy but as far as using them I like the CIV II aproach. I think no nation should do more than threaten to use nukes without dire circumstances during peace or cold war periods but during large scale, long term wars many nations will put survival before morals or consequences. If someone invaded the US (real world) with the kind of success players have in CIV games then I could imagine nukes would become a very real weapon, just as they were intended to be on the Western Front if WWIII ever occured.

Comment

Lord Sigma,

Select the 'plus' or 'minus' next to player. This will cycle through all available Civs. When the Civ you want is showing, do one of the options below. When that is done, select another Civ and again follow the instructions below. If you put a new city in while you are an alternate Civ, the city will disappear when you change Civs. This is okay. When you get back to normal and play the game, everything you did will show up.

There is 2 ways. Go into cheat mode and you will see 2 icons, 'Unit/City' and 'Edit City'.

Unit/City: Selct this and a box will pop up with 'city', 'army', 'navy', etc. If you want a new city, click on the number and then click on the map. That is where the city will be and the size will correspond to the number you picked in the cheat menu. If you want a unit, click on the unit, (like the legion under the army tab). If it is highlighted in red, then click on the map where you want it to go. If it is not red when you click on it, you don't have the required technology. Click on the 'Legal' icon to change it to 'All Tech'. Now you can use any unit. Go back and click on legion. It will now be red. Then click on the map where you want it to go.

Edit City: Selct this icon and a box will pop up asking for the City name. Click on the city you want to edit. When you do that, the city name and size will appear in the pop up box. Now you can go into the city and do anything you want. To make a unit, select it from the build list and hit 'Rush Buy'. You now have that unit. This can be done for any unit, wonder or improvement available. When you are done, close the pop up box. Your done.

Nordicus,
                              Sorry for stepping on your toes. I was reading through the posts and when I got to LS's question, I answered it. When I was done, I continued reading and saw you had answered it.
                              BTW, I never could get a Civ to fire a nuke at me.

Don

[This message has been edited by skorpion59 (edited December 16, 1999).]
                              Don,

Comment

Working...
                              X