Granaries don't work!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Granaries don't work!!!!

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed but I've just done some testing on a new food storage improvement, and couldn't get it to change the growth rates, I decided to test the granary and even that doesn't seem to work.
    Also are the granaries planned effect of halfing the amount of food needed to grow realistic??? Surely all they do is reduce the amount of food waste. There are two ways of implementing this:
    1) Increasing the amount of food generated to represent the food no longer wasted.
    2) I think it could be done with Slic automatically reducing the food of each city.

Hi!

Do you make suggestions for ctp2?
    Or are you reporting problems? I am a bit confused by your question. Perhaps you must make sure to build the cities where there is food, near to the ocean or on grassland. I try to build the cities where I have both production and food. Mountains and near Ocean is very good. You can increase the production with mines, mills, factories, etc. It is better to have small, highly productive cities than big ones.

Greetings from Dani

Comment

Apologies for the confusion. I was making two points in one post.
      Firstly that I don't think Granaries are working.

My second point was a way for modifiers to fix it. (I suppose that could be considered a suggestion for CTP2 as well)

Hope that clarifies my post

Comment

I don't think the Cranary is doing
        anything.
        ==========================
        www.forgiftable.com/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.

Comment

What granaries do is they give you an additional surplus of stored food AFTER your city has grown in population.

Population growth occurs when you have built up a certain level in stored food. When your population increases, the stored food goes back to near '0', unless you have a granary. I don't know offhand what the level of stored food goes to with a granary in your city, but I know it is a substantial level - try running a playtest with this info to see, and post the results.

I tested this awhile back because I noticed the same thing.
          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Hex is right, granaries don't take effect until after your city has grown once, then, believe me, they work properly.
            Woodster is correct that you can't make additional improvements that act as granaries. The SLIC group tried this. Must be another code oddity.
            1)- can be done in the terrain text, like Nord's, or my, terrain mods.
            2)- can be set in the const.txt. Default is 175 per pop.

Comment

Wes,

quote:

Originally posted by WesW on 03-08-2000 02:28 PM
              The SLIC group tried this.

We did?

quote:

Originally posted by WesW on 03-08-2000 02:28 PM
              1)- can be done in the terrain text, like Nord's, or my, terrain mods.
              2)- can be set in the const.txt. Default is 175 per pop.

3)- can be set in the Improve.txt. Default is 50 percent.

After reading this tread (right before hexagonian posted) I tested the granaries. The amount of food stored right after a city with granary grew is 50% of what is needed to make the city grow again. I went into Improve.txt and changed the number after the flag IMPROVEMENT_FLAG_SILO to 80 and then 80% of what is needed to make a city grow again was stored. So the granary works exactly as it is supposed to (and can be changed - at least to some extend).

Locutus
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Hi!

Another question: How can I give them enough food, when I tried everything: Hypotronic farms and so on and the city remains at -1 in the city screen?

Dani

Comment

Make sure your citizens are actually working on the hydroponic farms. click the city once, then right click it. You'll get a screen that shows where people are working.
                  ~I like eggs.~

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Comment

I know I tried to add extra granaries at one point - never worked.

Another solution: make your granaries appear later in the game, and lower the starting food-per-citizen requirement. What's the point of the granary if everybody builds them first? In effect, you give every city a "free" granary, and then add another one later, say in the modern era with a "Green Revolution" idea?

And, you can always just add more food. Make your over-crowding improvements also add more food (like Aqueduct); that way, they don't seem so useless after you get the Sensorium. Thus, Hospital adds 25% food, AquaFilter adds 25% food, etc... This will provide for faster growth (but also higher final population).

Wheathin

Comment

Thanks for that idea

Comment

Working...
                        X