What do you like about CtP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you like about CtP?

OK, let's get one thing straight right off the bat: I'm not bashing CtP and I'm not looking for a fight, so don't flame me. I really do want to know what you like about CtP that Civ2 and/or SMAC didn't do better. I'm thinking about possibly reacquiring this game if I can hear some cogent arguments in its defense.

Maybe I'd better describe my own reaction to the game so that you understand where I'm coming from and a few of my complaints. And I haven't played it for a long time (since it came out) so my memory may be a bit rusty -- if I say anything that is simply not true, I ask your forbearance in advance. And I didn't play it very long -- I started two games over a two-day period and abandoned them both before abandoning the game itself entirely.

The first thing I noticed was that the game looked pretty, but it seemed that the graphics slowed down the performance, especially during the very long computer turns. And I wasn't running it on some sled -- it was on a (then) top-of-the-line PII 450 with 128 megs of RAM. In addition, the 3D graphics made modifications much more difficult (although apparently not impossible). OK, slow performance I can live with, especially because you could turn some of the graphics off and marginally speed up your game. Still, it was an irritation.

Second was the interface. I know the CtP interface has its defenders, but for me personally it was cumbersome, counterintuitive, difficult to use and nearly opaque when contrasted to the elegance of both Civ2 and SMAC. I never did get the hang of it because there were simply too many different screens to look at and juggle. The city screen in Civ2 showed you practically everything you needed to know to run your city and your civ; any given single screen in CtP shows you bupkus. You may say that I didn't spend enough time getting to know the interface, and I won't deny that. However, I would countercharge that the interface shouldn't be that hard to use, and if it is then something is seriously wrong with the design.

The next thing that hit me was the disproportionate power of nontraditional units -- the slaver and whatever the next one that came out was (I don't remember which one it was anymore.) They occupied hexes, preventing your units from entering them and forcing you to build extravagant defenses that were of no use against conventional units. Like so much in this game, the idea of unconventional units was wonderful and the implementation was poor. Maybe if there was some way to turn them off it would have been better. It just seemed to me that they had a power and influence beyond their cost, and were therefor imbalancing. I admit that I didn't take a long time to learn about the units and how to use them, because I found them irritating and I wanted nothing to do with them.

Then there was the concept of improvements. I know that some of you just love the way CtP handled it, with the fund and all and you just pay for what you want, but I couldn't abide it. With settlers/engineers/formers, you got the dual sense of an investment in resources (since you had to build the unit in question and then guard it from attacks) as well as getting a hint of the time and effort such massive changes in terrain actually take, since effects only happened after several turns of work. In CtP, on the other hand, you just paid some dough and wham! you had a road or a farm or whatever. Easier, yes, but it took away a large part of the epic scope of carving an empire from the wilderness.

Another thing was combat. Again, the idea of stacks was a good one, but the implementation was (IMHO) horrendous. During one particular fight I attacked a mixed force of the weakest infantry unit and the weakest ranged unit (I forget their names -- it's been a while) in clear ground with a force of knights (again, I forget the exact unit name) that outnumbered the defenders 2-1. I expected a pushover, and I got one -- the primitives wiped out my heavily armed and armored chivalry without losing a single unit. Talk all you want about combined arms, that result was just plain silly. And from what I've read on line, that's not even the most absurd combat resolution that happens in this game. Not only does it defy logic (if logic may be said to apply to such a abstract setting as a strategy game) but it also seems to take away much of the impetus for technological improvement: I fought and scratched and clawed to develop the prerequisite technology for building knights, only to discover that I'd have been better off sticking with fire-hardened sticks and wicker shields. Extremely disappointing.

Although the details have gotten fuzzy over time, I also remember being disappointed with the diplomacy model, especially after the subtleties presented by the SMAC AI. It seemed to me that my computer opponents just weren't as smart as they should have been. I can't cite any specifics at this remove, but it was a major issue at the time.

And lastly, although this is entirely personal and a matter of taste, I just didn't think the game was fun. When I plugged in Civ2 for the first time, I was hooked from the opening turn and I just knew that I'd be losing a lot of sleep because of the game. SMAC took a bit longer to get into, but within an hour of the beginning of my first game I was hooked, wanting to explore more, build more, develop new tactics and beat the p!ss out of the Believers. With CtP, on the other hand, after two days of more or less continuous playing, it was still an unpleasant chore to start the program and a lingering, painful task to play each turn. I don't know what it was, exactly, because all the things I've listed above don't quite explain it. The game simply did not make me want to play it.

In fairness, I must say that the way CtP handles trade is one of the most elegant and beautifully executed concepts I've ever seen in a game. I only wish the rest of it had lived up to that promise.

[This message has been edited by Ubergeek (edited February 10, 2000).]
    Better living through tyranny

Yep. That sums up my thoughts too.

Comment

Ubergeek & Krusty,

I remember struggling with CTP at first. I had been quite satisfied with Civ II, but I thought (mistakenly) that CTP was Civ III. I was embarrassed to find that I couldn't get very far at King level in CTP when I was always playing Civ II at Deity level. I finally went through a Chieftain level game and won, but I was still uncomfortable with the mechanics game play and not quite certain about the game itself. I also knew that I could learn and do much more with the game than what I did in my first game. I played my second game ( at Prince level, I think) and that is where I remember really getting hooked. I finally realized that all my status screens were available by using the function keys, which is how I accessed the status screens in Civ II. I got over the mechanics of playing the game (it seems so obvious now) and was able to enjoy planning and implementing real strategies. It has been a lot of enjoyment ever since. I still play Civ II with my brother on occasion. But I look at Civ II a lot differently now. I have a much harder time with the mechanics of playing Civ II now than I do playing CTP. I guess it's a matter of getting used to a program.

If you are serious about giving it another chance, you should read through virtually all of the threads here to get an idea of the mods and files that are available for CTP. My opinion is that there is plenty of stuff here at Apolyton that take the game to a higher level of enjoyment. And there is plenty more on the way!

Comment

i understand you're not trying to bash CTP, so i'm not going to get fired up over anything. however, it does seem like you said 'i haven't played it much, but...' a lot. if you want to write it off, then fine, but if you're willing to open up a bit, and try to learn the way it changed some things, then perhaps you'll grow to like it. it does sound you developed a negative attitude towards it very early though (rightly or wrongly).

some points you've raised here are entirely valid, and i'm not going to say that CTP is the greatest game ever, but it's very easy to criticise. there was some things you raised though which i had to respond to, so i may as well do the lot.

(1) the graphics definitely slow down when you get a fair way into a game. i don't understand why they were so slow for you so early in the game though (by the sounds of how long you played it). they're certainly not lightning speed, but i would have thought you'd experienced faster than you say you were. anyway, you're right, you can turn things off if it's too slow. more options for quickening the game up were added in the patches as well. if people are going to bag the graphics, then it should be because they're hard to customize. people would have been bagging the crap out of activision if they didn't put in good graphics.

(2) the interface was certainly different, and took a bit of getting used to, but you've just got to work with it for a bit. it did have it's plus sides especially once things like the build queues were fixed in patches. it's just a matter of getting to know where everything is. i liked the seperate screen in civ and civ 2 as well, but i don't hold much against the way ctp does it either. if nothing else, give them credit for trying something new. if they didn't, people would be complaining because their ideas ha grown stagnant.

(3) unconventional warfare doesn't sit well with a few people, and i can understand that, but personally i enjoyed the extra facet it gave the game. once you know how to defend against these sort of units (eg. walls for slaves - "no use against conventional units"?) things become a bit more balanced. you're right about them using a whole square though. there was nothing funnier in a multi-player game than stealing population or siphoning money or production from an opponent. (except perhaps pillaging his improvements ) i can understand some people find them annoying, but they can be a lot of fun too. an option to turn them off (like with pollution) wouldn't have gone astray though. that way people can choose one way or the other. so i agree with you there. but with so many people shouting for realism, some sort of unconventional warfare is definitely needed. and kudos to the designers again for having the balls to add something rather different. perhaps it was unbalanced, but it wasn't an inherantly flawed concept.

(4) i'm very happy with public works. moving a settler around for each city was a pain in the arse once you got 15 or more cities. people scream for less micromanagemnt, and public works did it well. so i definitely don't agree with you here. particularly as you're saying you can just whack them down, which is untrue. (perhaps one of those mistakes you mentioned you might make ) they take a few turns (depending on the improvement) to build them just as they did in civ and civ 2. also, you don't pay money, you use production, which is what you would have used to build settlers anyway. the only real difference is that it's collected within your civ rather than per city. and of course that you don't have to spend 3/4 of your turn moving settlers/engineers around. the only part i agree with here is that you didn't have to defend a unit. i'll give you that. but if you don't want the enemy pillaging your improvements you'll protect them anyway.

(5) i'll agree with you on a few counts in regard to combat. i've had many times when i thought i'd romp it home, only to get my hide whoopped. the stacks was definitely a great stride forward though, and the inbalances weren't as great once you mixed some long range units in there. and the idea of bombardment was also good. i think you'll find things balance up a bit more once you progress into the game (although air warfare still hasn't been done right). i agree that the units should have been more balanced though.

(6) i haven't played SMAC, so maybe i haven't seen how well diplomacy can be done yet. diplomacy is fairly highly criticised though, and probably with good reason. i get so sick of telling them to stop tresspassing on my damn land! again, some patches helped this a bit, but it was still a problem. and after reading all the threads about diplomacy in the lists for civ 3, the ctp model sounds very primitive. not that we'll neccessarily get half of what we'd like in regard to civ 3....

(7) as for fun, well i guess that's up to you. i still found it enjoyable (once i realised full on war wasn't really feasible until you had knights and cannons/artillery). i can only hope that if you do give it another go that you'll get a bit more out of it.

most of your arguments here weren't unreasonable, but i do still think you should have given it a bit more of a go. ctp could definitely have been done better, but i still enjoy a game. personally, i haven't used any mods yet, but perhaps you should get the apolyton mod if you feel the original with patches doesn't cut it. i wouldn't hold it against you if you did feel that way, but i do think you should give it a second shot.

i hope i did most of that diplomatically...
        - mkl

Comment

Here, read through some of this thread linked below. Then check out the Medieval mod 2 thread. I think the Med mod addresses most of the game-balance issues you guys have griped about (because we have all griped about those same issues). Then go to my website through the link at the top of this post and get the Medieval Pack if you decide you want to try out the Med mod. (Be sure you have Winzip, not PKunzip.)
          http://apolyton.net/forums/Forum7/HT...tml?date=04:24

Comment

Well, you've certainly given me a lot of food for thought. When I read these well-reasoned responses, it set me to thinking about the way I'd approached the game initially. I'd played Civ2 so much that it was second nature -- I even dreamed about it (yes, I'm THAT pathetic), and the mechanics of SMAC are so similar that I was able to slip right in and only have problems with a few minor concepts. In that way I was able to enjoy the game right away.

However, I guess I just didn't realize how very different CtP actually is from Civ2 -- it's a completely different game, based upon different mechanics, and I guess I just wasn't prepared for that. It was unfair of me to approach it the way I did, and I think I might have cost myself a lot of enjoyable gaming.

Midknight Lament's point about giving the desgners credit for trying new things is extremely well taken. It seems, upon reading what fans of the game have to say (thanks for the link WesW) that there are a tremendous number of really great ideas implemented in this game. If some of my sacred cows from the Brian Reynolds designs were slain (my beloved micromanagement -- gone, all gone!!! well, not ALL, but a lot) then they seem to have been replaced with a plethora of new and unexpected gems. What I have to do is approach the game as a completely separate experience from the other Civ games, and I think I'll be much happier with what I find.

So, I guess I probably will give CtP another go-around, and with a much more open mind this time. Except that I won't be able to do it for a while, because yesterday somebody gave me Caesar III and I...can't...stop...playing...it...

Thanks guys.

------------------

Comment

it's great to hear you take my humble opinions into consideration. to be perfectly honest i was expecting a few people to fire up over a few things i said. perhaps the people who hate ctp have given up reading the forum now

i won't promise you that you'll enjoy the game much more that what you did before, but seeing as i'd already bought it, i knew i was going to give it a fair crack of the whip.

incidently, after writing that last post, i got inspired, continued a game i started a while ago, and kicked some ring so thanks to you too
              - mkl

Comment

I have played CTP for a few months and for me it is one of the best games around. I have SMAC and CivII:Test of Time (given to me on Xmas) and I have played them both and I am sorry to say I was really disappointed.

I found playing SMAC boring and tedious. Its graphics are awful; it was like going to a level of graphics of the Vic 20. I felt like I had sunglasses in a dark room while I was playing it. The tutorial was also awful; nothing to gain from following it. I think the game can play by itself w/o me having much to do or make any decisions. I was totally disappointed after I had read so much about this game.

The same I can say about CivII:TOfT, however this being an older game I was expecting less.

I will try to give these 2 games a shot again. But I just wanted to give a different point of view than Ubergeek's.

Thanks.

Comment

Just to add my tuppence for the for the collection:

I thought the CtP combat engine was a well-intentioned attempt at adding a new dimension to the game, but that the Civ2 game mechanics certainly ran perfectly well without it. So, in effect, CtP was taking an awful risk in introducing this new engine, as it has to be perfect for Civ fans to like it.

In my opinion, it wasn't. I agree with the example above of illogical outcomes, etc. but most of all I think that the sheer simplicity of the original combat mechanisms were sufficient.

It is entirely possible that I was simply being crap at the game. This argument has its merits, too!

Another thing I cannot really defend at all is the government choice systems. SMAC's government choice system was amazing: never before could you custom make your own rule as you can there. True, you can't get every last little permutation of ups and downs that you might wish for, but it's a very flexible system indeed.

CtP's system is basically a larger version of the Civ2 gov choice system: you can choose out of roughly 13 gov types, but each choice is separate and distinct and absolute. You cannot have, say, a police state that also has a decent scientific output, unlike in SMAC where you could jiggle the POLICE and RESEARCH settings to your heart's desire.

Finally, the units design slot in SMAC was a big bonus, in my opinion. You could tailor make your own units, and they would work amazingly well if you were careful. Flexibility and freedom are the key words here, and SMAC did that successfully. CtP gives you another x units to play around with, and that's fine, but if you want to design one that's subtler or slightly different, you're stuck.

Those are technical reasons I felt CtP was okay but SMAC excelled. My biggest (and most personal) problem with the game was on purely aesthetic grounds:

CtP is supposed to be a representation of human civilization on earth. It does this by showing what the present and past were like, as Civ and Civ2 did. The game begins in roughly 4000 BC and ends 2000 AD or shortly thereafter.

That's fine.

What I found very offensive and poorly done was CtP's extension into the next 1000 years. Had Activision done a more convincing job, more realistically rooted in science fiction rather than science fantasy, then I would have found this easier to swallow, but the job they did was awful.

In basing the first 6000 years in history, they establish a certain reality. However, in continuing the game from 2000 AD onwards, they are dictating their own little fantasy of what the world will be like. Here the game ceases to be an historical one, and embarks on the realms of sci-fi and sci-fant.

It's not even good quality sci-fi. Take the unit Plasmatica: a bioengineered woman with lasers glued to her arms. Yes... quite. Take the Nanite Defuser wonder of the world: having harnessed the power of nanites, the ONLY PEACEMAKING USE that the harnessing civ could apply it to was disarming nukes. They couldn't have used it to, say, eliminate all weapons or create water out of sand or create food out of stone or anything else... they thought that a wonder that defuses all nukes was needed, and so they hurriedly invented an unconvincing and illogical wonder to do it.

I know that this seems to be a point against SMAC itself, but let me leap to Firaxis' defence here. SMAC is already set in a fictitious world. However, they did their research, even down to defining the hard physics of the world, eg mass, radius, year length, etc. They took care over the game world. They made sure that, although the ideas were fictitious, the possibility was still plausible.

The end result resembles something similar to 2001 AD or Red Mars - hard science fiction that is believable and intelligently crafted.

Activision does fine, artistically, until it hits the arrogant "let's tell all our players what we think the world will be like!" stage. Once it gets to that level of presumptuousness and poor quality writing, the end result is rather like Flash Gordon, not Star Wars. Except that it doesn't even have the saving grace of ironic intent.

------------------
                  "In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.
                  "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

One last parting remark before I never show my face in here again lest the lynching mobs catch me up -

To continue a point made by you all about both games: I felt that both games' AI in diplomacy was pretty uninspired. SMAC disguised it a bit better, but even so it was pretty repetitive and dull. CtP didn't even disguise the fact that it was using standard sentences and randomly inserting (sometimes with hilariously inappropriate effect) adjectives willy-nilly into the blank bits.

Diplomacy: Both Activision and Firaxis *MUST* get their acts together on this. For me it was a large stumbling block in both games.

------------------
                    "In all creation, there can be no task more onerous or tedious than that of playing God." - Stephen Fry, 'The Liar'.
                    "lol internet" ~ AAHZ

Comment

I still return to Civ2 every now and then. But now, if I want to play it at all, I just play SMAC because the games are so similar. SMAC is just an extensions and evolution of Civ2. But CtP is actually *different*.

CtP has a fundamentally different perspective of the game: it is civ-based, not city-based. Sure, CtP uses cities, but only as handy points for construction and resource collection. The cities are secondary to your empire as a whole. Civ2 cities (and SMAC bases) leave you feeling like you have a collection of cities; CtP gives you a more cohesive empire. Trade, improvements, units, wages, rations, science, taxes, work hours, and more are all supported on a civ-wide scale. I agree that I have often wished for a city screen or a city view, but I think people lose sight of the different perspective. I happen to think that CtP is better for it - others may disagree.

Certainly there are other differences: stacked combat (good),
                      space (better),
                      the interface (which I like, but which does need a city screen),
                      the unconventional units (again, I like - and here they are functionally similar to Psi in SMAC - a totally separate system for attack and defense that makes different demands on a player, but which afford different opportunities and more flexible strategy), and others.

Comment

I remember reading some of the bitter exchanges between supporters and detractors of this game when it came out, and for a little while thereafter. Those mostly seemed to boil down to "Your game sucks!/Yeah, well yours sucks worse!" nonsense. It's both refreshing and edifying to read a rational exchange of viewpoints on what has for so long been a polarizing topic. That's why I love Apolyton.

------------------

Comment

I respect people that still play CTP. I'd played a lot till some months ago. CTP has bugs as all others games, but you can live with them. Most of them were fixed by patches, then the problem is not bugs. The problem is the game itself that promises too much when you start playing, show amasing possibilities and fails completely in cumply to its potenciality . I won in deity some times but with no magic, with ilogical strategical paths, taking advantage of the stupid AI limitations. This game didn't captivate me. Then i gave up. I don't want to play it anymore. Now I hope Activision will do better in CTP II, and I want to believe they are going to do do it because CTP has really very good new concepts and I hope to have fun playing with them, but in a more inteligent platform.

Comment

suggestions:
                            1) give more time to the AI(a recent thread in the creation forum described the way)
                            2) play with more civs
                            3) try some mods

Comment

Working...
                            X