Starting Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting Again

OK, I've installed the game and downloaded and installed the 1.2 patch can someone please help me to know where to go from here to turn this into the best TBS game in the universe!

There are so many mods etc... that I don't know where to begin!

Download and install the 1.21 hack, then
    the Awesome AIPs for the original.

Comment

Yep, had to go through this process myself recently and found it quite time-consuming.

The basic is the Apolyton Pack. It contains a fixed version of Celestial Dawn's 4.2 mod (THE essential CTP mod - he called it "CTP as it is meant to be played" and believe me, that's a good description) together with a few other niceties such as Harlan's excellent graphics mod.

Make sure you get the 1.21 hack as well as it fixes a few problems with scenario support in the 1.2 patch.

You'll need to read the README for the Apolyton pack to learn how to avoid the bugs that remain, but it's not too difficult. Also read the PowerSLICs readme in the same pack, as you'll need to tweak one text file to avoid strange messages.

But that's your basics. Play a few games with the Apolyton pack and you'll agree it's a hell of a TBS. (And don't even consider playing at anything below KING level).

If you decide you want more after that, there's plenty to choose from. WesW and Nordicus' Awesome AIPs pack is great if you find yourself wiping the floor with the opposition. It's worth it for the diplomacy improvements alone. And WesW is currently working on an ambitious series of mods, of which the Medieval Mod is currently available and the Modern Mod is arriving shortly. These look superb too and incorporate the Awesome AIP changes.

The world is your oyster! Have fun, and make sure to let us all know what you think.

Comment

Madcow, can I copy and save your post, so I can paste it in whenever a newbie asks this question? (Which *is* asked by a newbie about twice every week. )

Comment

No problem, Wes.

Comment

This is from a post Don (Scorpion59) made in another thread is try and help some people confused about which mods to get, and in what order to put them in.

All,
            The order should be:
            1) CTP
            2) CTP 1.2 Patch
            3) Civfan 1.21 Hack (found in the Patches part of the Download section along with the 1.2 Patch)
            4) Apolyton Pack
            which includes: CD's Mod & Graphics, TP's PowerSLIC 2, Harlan's Graphics Mod, Slax's Color00.txt and Zaz & Uppsala's Maps)
            5) WesW's Medieval Mod
            (which includes Awesome AIPs)

If you do not install the Medieval Mod, you need to install the AwesomeAIPs(Pack Version, not CD's or Original).

Hope this helps.
            Don

Comment

Working...
            X