Questions about CIV III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about CIV III

Hi, I noticed the site for civilization and decided to stop by. I have had CIV III Callto power since the summer and never even considered midifying it. After reading those discussion threads, well . . .

How do you access the code to make changes?
    MORE importantly, how do you avoid totally messing up the game? Remember, I have had no experience messing around with programs.

Thanks.

HOW DARE YOU! *jk* CTP(Call To Power) isnt really Civ III, its really an illegitamte sequel. Civ III is comn out from Firaxis in over a year, check out the CTP forums if you want to talk about modifying CTP.
    "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

moving to ctp-general....

Comment

Evidently I stepped on someone's toes with that post. I really didn't mean to start a fight. Just ignore the post and have fun being unreasonably rude to new posters!!!

Adam :-(

Comment

Woxow,

Most of the files in the ctp_data folder are text-files and can simply be opened and changed with an text-editor like Notepad. Those files that aren't text-files are sounds or graphics or whatever that (usually) can't be changed, but you can add your own files and use the appropriate text-files to make sure the game uses them. To find more (specific) info on modifying files in CtP, check the CtP-modification-section here or just ask in these forums.

Hope that helps,

Locutus
          [This message has been edited by Locutus (edited February 16, 2000).]
          Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

woxow, i was expecting someone else to jump in and say this, but apparently not...

don't take it personally... it's not a hard mistake to initially make. it's just a bit of a sore point around here, that's all.

in case, you were unaware, *jk* means 'joking', so pythagoras wasn't really having a go at you.
            - mkl

Comment

Oh! Well that's one mystery solved :-)
              Another one will be trying to add a couple of addons without ruining the program.

Woxow

Comment

Woxow,

If you mean with 'addons' mods and packs and stuff you can find in the download section of this site (among other places), you don't have to worry about ruining the program. Most of the mods and packs get installed in an scenario folder, which means the original game files are left intact. Sometimes it is inevitable to overwrite the original game files, but this is usually mentioned in accompanying readme's and stuff and some mods even include an uninstall utility. If I were you, I'd start by installing the Apolyton Pack. It's motto is "play CtP as it should be" and this is not exaggerated in most people's opinion. It installs in a scenario folder and has an uninstall program, so nothing will be ruined by it. For the other mods I suggest you read the readme's to find out how it may affect the program. Let me know if you have any other questions...

Locutus
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                X