Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Activision announces follow-up game to best-selling civilization: call to power

Yes, i agree. . i think ALL the emissary's should be female with see through skirts hehehe

Anyhow, hmm, that's interesting. Knowing activision, they will rush ctp:II in order to get it out before civIII . . we'll have to wait and see if it's really worth it. I'll be keeping an eye on it, definately. .
    -connorkimbro
    "We're losing the war on AIDS. And drugs. And poverty. And terror. But we sure took it to those Nazis. Man, those were the days."

-theonion.com

This is going to be out in the fall, right?
    Just about the time Dinos is due, and before civ III, which is slated for sometime in 2001.
    I'm just glad that Activision hasn't given up on the series, and that they apparently plan to add enough to make it a sequel.
    Any word on the price range?
    Are any of the developers planning on filling us in on the specifics any time soon?

I wonder if the new diplomacy functions will mess up Nordicus' work?

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by WesW on 02-15-2000 01:44 PM
      This is going to be out in the fall, right?

my GUESS is chistmas...
      quote:

Any word on the price range?
      probably the typical $40
      it's a new game after all...
      quote:

Are any of the developers planning on filling us in on the specifics any time soon?
      hopefully we will see some familiar faces posting again here
      quote:

I wonder if the new diplomacy functions will mess up Nordicus' work?
      no clue, but probably yes....

Comment

Now, I don't mean to make an OFF-TOPIC post, but can Activision really claim CtP is the best selling civilization? Perhaps the most returned civilization, but that's another matter...

Comment

I wonder if it is too late to ask for the following technical changes:

1) Initialize all memory structures at run time, not compile time (no hard coded array limits).
          2) Build all indices which link array structures at run time, not compile time. For example, references to phalanxes should not be hard coded to array[2] (or some other hard coded number).
          3) Use algorithms which scale by order N whenever possible (i.e. use binary trees or hash tables and not linked lists or bubble sorts).

Currently, there appear to be hard coded limits to the number of units, advance requirements, etc. you can have (item number 1). Terrain types also appear to be fixed (item number 2). And lastly, when you increase the size of the game by a factor of 2, it seems to take 4 times as long to run (item number 3).

Comment

Burned by CTP, but ever optimistic about the future, I am happy to hear about CTP II!

I mean, you can't help but feel for Activision. Reading the press release made me think about the HUGE fire under their butts (heh heh, hoo hoo!). Nothing screams performance like stiff competition and a hurt ego.

The return of the advisors is appealing as well. In fact, I think that all interaction should be via "talking characters."

pchang65: What do you mean by those suggestions? Do you want more flexibility for scenarios?
            [This message has been edited by Slingshot (edited February 15, 2000).]

Comment

Well, it sounds very promising, it appears they listened to the fans well. But will it be CtP II or just an expensive patch 1.3? It sounds very promising, but - being the sober-minded Dutchman that I am - I want to see it before I believe it. I hope they put in a better scenario setup, flat-map support and a more complete SLIC-language this time... (or even better: bring out a patch 1.3 as well with these features)

BTW, if anyone of Activision is reading this: update your website! It's kind of ridiculous reading on the front-page that
              quote:

The second patch for Civ:CTP is in production at the moment.

Locutus

PS if I'm whining too much, just shoot me
              [This message has been edited by Locutus (edited February 15, 2000).]
              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 02-15-2000 02:00 PM
                probably the typical $40
                it's a new game after all...
                Wouldn't that be $50 then?

Btw, like ghen I also have my doubts about this.. I REALLY did not like the first CTP, I really wonder if they can make this game any better without some monumental improvements...

So, are we going to be be seeing a CTP 2 forum soon?
                [This message has been edited by Narck (edited February 15, 2000).]

Comment

BTW, I strongly agree with this (and you never know, maybe BR will start up his own software company and announce a 3rd competitor :

quote:

Originally posted by MarkG on 02-15-2000 12:49 PM
                  anyway, what I'm mostly glad about it, is that we once again have an option. once more, we dont have "just" firaxis working on a civ game. a second option is always good, wont you agree?

Comment

I am pretty optimistic, of course personnaly I loved CTP even if it was flawed in many ways. They apparently completely re-write the Diplomacy like they said they would and looks like they invested a lot of effort into the game.

Comment

Any news of a Linux version? If it was on Linux I'd buy it but if it's crippled so that it only works for Windows they can go & jump.

Comment

• Is this one going to have scenario support?

• And any possibility of backwards compatiablity with CTP1... or have I still no use for it...

• Sigh ACTivision and their incompetance (not to mention phalse advertising) brought me here... they can so easily drive me away!
                        [This message has been edited by Evan von Christoph (edited February 15, 2000).]

Comment

To Slingshot:

The things I requested are technical C++ programming changes. However, if implemented, they will have the following beneficial results:

1) The game will crash less, because there will be less chance for memory conflicts.
                          2) The game will be able handle more types of modifications. This should allow for more types of scenarios and mods and more complex scenarios and mods.
                          3) The run time performance of the game will improve a bit.

Comment

Well wouldnt it be funny if Brian started working for Activision... only then would I give CTP II consideration.
                            "What can you say about a society that says that God is dead and Elvis is alive?" Irv Kupcinet

"It's easy to stop making mistakes. Just stop having ideas." Unknown

Comment

Did anyone check out the CtP II section yet? Man, that is fast! My compliments to Markos/Dan But I'm not sure about the color scheme though, I guess it takes some getting used to, after the dark scheme of CtP I.
                              Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Working...
                              X