No announcement yet.

Modern Mod beta-edition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You don't get Interceptors until Space Flight. Space Fighters come in with Smart Materials. There really isn't enough room to put in a fourth fighter- people would simply decide to skip one or more of them. Good question, though.

------------------
    Vote for your choice for the Modern mod's slogan!

1)(Paraphrasing Small Soldiers) The Modern Mod: Everything else, is just a scenario.
    2)(Imagine Mr. Voice from Rick Dees saying this) The Modern Mod: Dominating CtP like a Leviathan on steroids.
    3)The Mod mod: Too cool for its own good.

Submit votes in any Modern mod thread.

Comment

Number 1 sounds cool

------------------
      ----------------------------------------------
      "Are those... live rounds?..."
      "7.62 millimeter... Full metal jacket..."
      (From the "Bathroom Scene", Full Metal Jacket)
      "Are those... live rounds?..."
      "7.62 millimeter... Full metal jacket..."
      (From the "Bathroom Scene", Full Metal Jacket)

Comment

OK, that's one for one.
        Where is everyone else? Don't you know that every *good* mod has a slogan?
        (Wes soon finds out that none of the other mod-makers will help him now, and his mod is never finished. )

Btw, I finished the unit portion of the Aips today, so I'm one step closer to getting the beta out. Hooray!

Comment

quote:

Originally posted by WesW on 01-25-2000 05:12 PM
          2)(Imagine Mr. Voice from Rick Dees saying this) The Modern Mod: Dominating CtP like a Leviathan on steroids.

Any chance of a translation for the non-US amongst us

You could always try to think up some sort of Mod's/Rockers pun....?

Dan

------------------
          Just a thought......

Just a thought......

Comment

Wes,

Point taken, although sometimes there is extenuating circumstances. Of the 3 you have, I say number 1. My problem is none of them really reach out and grab you. I'm waiting on somebody to come up with something that just slaps you in the face. Until then, one.

------------------
            Don, Apolyton Junkie

Don,
            CtPMaps (Hosted by Apolyton)

Comment

Maybe I need to put them in bold text or something. They *do* look a little flat.

When I first thought up the second one, I laughed for 15 min. thinking about it. I get this picture in my head of a "muscular", juiced-up Leviathan, which is a floating city to start with. You need to hear the slogan being said in a deep, radio disk-jockey voice. That's why I mentioned Mr. Voice. Would Shadoe Stephens work better?

I was making fun of myself a little with the third one.

Comment

Well, I just finished the Aips! (I hope.)

All I need to do now is work the new improvement and wonder tgas into the mod, check everything over, and then try to start it up.
                (Anyone want to take bets on how many times this thing crashes before I tie up all the odds-n-ends?) I mean, after all the hundreds of changes I made to the game for this mod...

Btw, I thought up a possible new slogan.

The Modern Mod: the Porsche of mod design- Accept no substitute.
                [This message has been edited by WesW (edited January 29, 2000).]

Comment

I hope to have the beta edition ready within the next week or two. (Is this ok, Sniper?)
                  I want to get together with some people regarding distribution of the files, and there are probably some other things I haven't realized yet. (The devil is in the details, as I learned before.)

While I'm here, I will list the mottos of my previous mods, and encourage people to submit their ideas for the Modern mod's motto.

Medieval Mod 1: Let's get Medieval! (I guess this saying goes back to the movie Pulp Fiction.)

True Terrain 2: No Swamps!

Medieval Mod 2: Ship's Ahoy! (In reference to an early aip success.)

Medieval Update: Stack-n-attack! (This motto is unofficial, and refers to the reduced unit costs. Inspired by a comment from Timothy Pintello.)

Comment

quote:

(This motto is unofficial, and refers to the reduced unit costs. Inspired by a comment from Timothy Pintello.)

Actually, Timothy's comment about reduced unit costs was after reading about Gedrin's (chris Whitaker's) mod ideas--it was coincidentally what I was considering of reducing them at the same time for naval and airforce units, to see if the AI would stack more--mine was just theory. But Gedrin had done so a long time before, as well as the testing that proved it worked.

I really hope, Wes, you will give a bit of credit to Chris, since it was his idea first, no one elses, being a fair player and all....

T.
                    Existence is Futile.

Comment

When I first asked for slogans for the Modern mod among our AIP group, Tim suggested something like "Who told the AI they could use stacks of nine?"
                      This was what I was referring to, since the reduced unit costs were implemented in the Med Update.
                      I had forgotten who it was who first posted about his experiments with reduced unit costs. It was indeed those comments that got me to thinking about a radical change in unit costs, though my changes were only partially like what Gedrin did.

Anyway, my website is now up and running, and a few things are already posted, so drop by sometime. http://community.myway.com/pd/wesw

Comment

Everyone, I need volunteers to make the gameplay and historical files for the Modern mod.
                        I will probably make the preq and vari gls myself, which will have to wait until the values are decided on by playtesting.
                        The gameplay and historical gls, though, can be made now, since the names for the new things, and their general role in the game have already been picked out.

Those of you interested in military history, for example, could do the units, while those interested in general history could do some of the advances and wonders.

To me, I really enjoy reading these files for the more interesting things in the game, and I have put a lot of effort into many of these gls for the new things added in my mods.
                        I enjoyed looking up and deciding upon which things to add for the Modern mod, and later received many great suggestions from others in the forums. I
                        think that those of you who volunteer to help write these files will get a similar enjoyment from your efforts.

A list of most all of the new things is located in the initial post in the
                        Modern mod beta-edition thread. You could look that over, and make a post listing those things that you would like to do. I promise not to pressure anyone to do anything more than what they volunteer for.

Comment

Wes

I agree with you about the GL files, especially since I'm a history teacher and use the game as a diversion in my classroom. Pick out five or so Wonders, and I'll write something up (and if I finish soon enough, I'll write some more!). Or, if you want I'll pick them out, but I want to avoid wasteful repetition of Mod Mod chores.

What are your outlines for these files? I mean, some of them might only take a line or two (but I doubt it), while some may be difficult to limit myself to a page!

Comment

I want people to pick their own items out, and post their choices here. This will allow people to do the ones they are interested in, and posting here will avoid duplication of effort.

As far as an outline, I quess it would be a paragraph or two. Here is the history gl I wrote for the Stockade. The gls probably shouldn't be much longer than this, though I don't think there is a hard limit on file size.

Stockades have served small settlements as a primitive defense against attacks. In the Battle of Horseshoe Bend in Alabama, Andrew Jackson's army assaulted Creek Indians who had fortified themselves within a timber stockade. His cannonballs bounced off the green timber, forcing him to storm the fort with infantry.
                            Earlier, Creeks had attacked Fort Mims. Attacking by surprize, they seized control of the gun ports in the walls, and turned the fort into a barrel shoot. Several hundred settlers died, making it the largest massacre of Whites in North America.

Comment

May I make a suggestion? I notice that in most cases, civs aquire the Mounted Archer before the Archer. With the Mounted Archer's movement figure, there seems to be little point in building the otherwise identical Archer.

I propose that the Archer be changed to the Longbowman, and left where he is, but with a greater defensive value. Longbowman historically were very valuable units, as in the Battle of Tours. A new sprite may be desired, but is not needed really.

IMO!

Comment

Wouldn't it better if the longbow man had a higher range attack as they were historically stronger than the archer. This way it would be worth building him and would simulate the fact that a mounted archer wouldn't be as strong as a longbow man.

Comment

Working...
                                X