Ok Military Realism here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok Military Realism here

Ok I've played sid meier games and civ games forever and i've always noticed one problem with being the omnipotent force in technology.
    Okay we've done this before ourselves we have something like a nuke or submarine our enemy is still stuck in the dark ages. How the heck do they know it was my nuclear missile, one it was going faster than there horses two they are not advanced to see it on radar three they have never seen it. How do they know it's me.
    Okay go back in time here ever hit a stupid little fire trieme with a submarine. How would they know it is you heck they dont know what a snorkel is and they can detect who's sub it is. Planes as well wouldn't old fashioned civs know what hit them.
    I like this idea spy's can steal world maps of enemy.
    I liked the idea in SMAC of buying and trading cities.
    We should have a technology ratio like Legions CANNOT kill machine gunners no matter how many. fire triemes and triemes cannot hurt battleships. Subs only get damaged by hunting down small ships like destroyers. Wouldn't you think it would be cool that with subs you can go underneath enemy units without firing.

Just my opinion

That would be cool...and the ai in CTP is pretty bad....like real bad...Its not the slightest bit difficult on deity.

Comment

Some very good points here. Oh well, can't have everything
      Try downloading EasyMod: with it you can adjust almost all aspects of units--hit points, defensive capabilities, ranges, whatever...increase the strength overall of each progressive serious of units, and that will solve all these problems. I did it, and I have never experienced unrealistic military outcomes since.

Wouldn't you think it would be cool that with subs you can go underneath enemy units without firing.
      Well, yeah. I guess I would! Wonder how that could be done...
      Existence is Futile.

Comment

Well, I'm glad it's not just me! There is absolutely NO military realism in CTP. When 4 battleships, 3 marines, and 1 tank cannot take a city occupied by Musketeers, archers, and pikemen, something is seriously wrong. I don't care HOW dug in you are, you are NOT going to be able to to any damage to a battleship with a musketeer. And since when did samurai and pikemen have anti-aircraft ability?? I've lost interceptors and space planes to units with an effective combat range of 20 feet!! Previous Civ games were nowhere NEAR this bad. When I complained to Microprose about it they suggested perhaps I didn't know how to play the game. Puh-LEEZE!

Jeff Alberts

Comment

you contact Microprose about CTP? If so I think you'll find a bit of a problem there
          Seeing as CTP was done by Activision.
          [This message has been edited by Nexus (edited January 10, 2000).]

Comment

You're right, it was Activision. The fact remains that they honestly think the game works as it should with respect to military battles. I doubt if I'll play the game again, it was that ridiculous.

Jeff Alberts

Comment

Yeah, well, Civ2 wasn't so great either: I recall very clearly losing 3 destroyers trying to kill one fortified guerilla unit (fortified in grass!), and the 4th destroyer finally killed it, taking its health bar down to a millimeter; I also remember a tank being destroyed when firing at an engineer who was laying down roads. Was that realistic as well? Also, I recall a bomber taking out a battleship and a fortified (in hills) alpine troop, ALL IN ONE TURN!
              What else...a marine unit being obliterated while attacking a city (no city wall) with two warriors in it. An archer (not fortified) defending successfully a pair of dragoons. A caraval defending an attack from an iron clad. There's more.
              How soon people forget . . . .
              Existence is Futile.

Comment

The good news is that things improve. Remember the original civilization anyone? I lost veteran battleships attacking legions, more than once! I get mad just thinking of it.
                Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

I still remember the time I lost a tank attacking an engineer, and I am pretty sure this was in civ2. I think everyone has lost a battleship attacking a settler in civ 1.

In CtP, the city walls effectively elevates defenders up to the next era when defending, so it's not improbable that you could have had Marines lost attacking Musketeers, especially if the city was built on hills or, especially, mountains.

I don't think we want a game where the first civ to get a specific tech can go on a world domination spree. That's what would happen if we let each unit progression be an overwhelming leap in abilities.
                  I know from experience how frustrating it is to have your Machine Gunners and Artillery occasionally lose to Musketeers and other Ren age units, but I am afraid the alternative would be even worse.

------------------
                  Vote for your choice for the Modern mod's slogan!

1)(Paraphrasing Small Soldiers) The Modern Mod: Everything else, is just a scenario.
                  2)(Imagine Mr. Voice from Rick Dees saying this) The Modern Mod: Dominating CtP like a Leviathan on steroids.
                  3)The Mod mod: Too cool for its own good.

Submit votes in any Modern mod thread.

Comment

Actually, I think that whoever gets and builds cannons first can go on a rampage and basically take over the world. Bombardment is a real game breaking ability. On the other hand, I wouldn't think of getting rid of it because it makes so much sense.

Comment

Working...
                    X